Is there a way of removing the oil spout without removing the valve cover? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way of removing the oil spout without removing the valve cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way of removing the oil spout without removing the valve cover?

Need pointers on this.

I wanted to see if I could do it without the hassle of removing the valve cover and without breaking the oil spout.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Re: Is there a way of removing the oil spout without removing the valve cover?

mine turned and pulled out?
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by vr4gasm View Post
      mine turned and pulled out?
      I tried that. I feel like I'm going to break it.

Did you press down on it and then turned it counter clockwise and then pull?

Comment

yea they twist out. There is a little notch and groove to the valve cover for it
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

The oil neck between the cap and valve cover? We pulled and yanked on that thing til it popped off. I guess after 9 years it'd pretty much sealed itself to the valve cover. But I definitely like the look without it.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

So can you put the oil cap directly on to the valve cover and tighten it down normally?
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Mine wouldnt come off unless i took the cover off to see what was going on...and I still broke the notch...now it doesnt lock in 100%...be careful

^ and I don't believe so...there is no threads inside/outside that spout piece

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
                So can you put the oil cap directly on to the valve cover and tighten it down normally?
                Yep. Just about a half twist counterclockwise should lock it in.

Edit: I'll have to recheck this in the morning. I may have swapped oil caps with the boyfriend's Series 3 3.8, so there might be a difference. Either way, I've been running it without an oil filler neck for the past 5k miles and it's in there nice and snug.
                Last edited by pace2006; 12-03-2009, 02:47 AM.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post

Edit: I'll have to recheck this in the morning. I may have swapped oil caps with the boyfriend's Series 3 3.8, so there might be a difference. Either way, I've been running it without an oil filler neck for the past 5k miles and it's in there nice and snug.
                  Pics please...this would make for a nice clean look

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post

The stock cap fits the valve cover fine.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                      The stock cap fits the valve cover fine.
                      this is right, i just went and tried it.
                      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Thor, if your running the PD I would leave the stock spout on there or you will be getting oil running out your valve cover breather once you go into boost. Since the PCV is block, thats why guys have to run catch cans for there oil.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                          Thor, if your running the PD I would leave the stock spout on there or you will be getting oil running out your valve cover breather once you go into boost. Since the PCV is block, thats why guys have to run catch cans for there oil.
                          You're right. Thanks Steve.

It's just that I bought a Strut bar and I need it to fit. But yeah, I just remembered what you said. I'll try and see if I could figure something out.

Comment

a strut bar should not interfere with the oil cap at all. My BMR one had plenty of room away from it
                            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

My SLP one didn't mess with it, it touched just alittle I think.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                5 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X