missfire but no SES light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missfire but no SES light

Hi, I've had this problem a long time. My car starts the missfire EVERY time I go over 2,300 RPMS only in third gear. I can make it not missfire by shifting kinda early and shifting at 2,000 RPM. Like I said, the SES light is not on and the car has just recently had a tune up 4k mile ago. I know alot of people are having this missfire problem too but I think mines different because if I go over 2,300 RPM in third, the whole car will buck and shake all the way till 4th. I'm ordering some MSD 8.5mm wires tonight and putting some of that "Protect-a-boot" stuff on the boots to keep them from melting or cracking. If someone has another idea, it would really be helpful. I have read on hear that a clogged cat can cause a missfire but wouldn't that make the SES light come on?
    2000 Camaro, Pewter Metallic, M5 tranny, 3.23 gears, Hard Top, <br /><br />Modifications:<br />SLP loudmouth (dual/dual tips)<br />MSD 8.5mm wires<br />K&N airfilter<br />SS hood (don\'t buy from fiberglassfabricators.com!!!)<br />Spec stage 2 clutch

my car has been missfiring and crappy accelerating for over a week now. All i have done so far is used injector cleaner and my car is slowly starting to run better.
    Red 1998 Camaro 3.8<br />K&N and Home Depot<br />2 12\" JL W3v2 Subwoofers<br />-more audio stuff to come-

Comment

um.....replace plugs and wires. thats what usually causes the misfires. Better do it soon, because like the saying goes, "$hit rolls downhill" and more problems will keep happening. Sometimes a misfire won't display a SES light until it's too late. I had a #4 misfire....didn't display a SES light, but had the car scanned by the dealer and found out that it was the #4 cylinder and that the wire was bad. Changed that, and now I run fine.
      <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six</a> </b><br /><br />1998 Sport Metallic Gold Firebird A4:<br /><br />Whisper Lid, 5% Limo Tint, 30th Anniversary Side Stripes, 3\" Borla Catback Dual Exhaust, Man Fan Switch, SLP CAI<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/98goldbird\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/98goldbird</a>

Comment

if you beat on the car for like 2 or 3 minutes, it should detect the misfire so you can get the code scanned.

Comment

I know I can get it scanned at like advance auto and autozone but do they charge anything?
          2000 Camaro, Pewter Metallic, M5 tranny, 3.23 gears, Hard Top, <br /><br />Modifications:<br />SLP loudmouth (dual/dual tips)<br />MSD 8.5mm wires<br />K&N airfilter<br />SS hood (don\'t buy from fiberglassfabricators.com!!!)<br />Spec stage 2 clutch

Comment

Nah, its a free service. Autozone scans, i dunno about advanced auto.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              5 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              3 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X