MSD Wire Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD Wire Problems

So i ordered the MSD Spark Plug Wire Kit [http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32089/], and I was kinda dissapointed when it came because they had straight boots for the spark plugs. I ended up installing them ok, but some of them are really close to the headers, and a few even touch and have already melted them a little bit. After driving for a day or 2, my car has started to misfire (im guessing thats what it is, it stutters really bad and the check engine light flashes).

I'm wondering what the problem is, and what I can do to fix it. I also didnt put any dielectric grease on the wires when installing, not sure if that could cause anything.

Any help is appreciated :tup:
    1999 v6 Camaro M5
    Automatic to Manual converted
    Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
    !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Re: MSD Wire Problems

if you have headers you should have bought the universal kit.. you can cut that boot off put a new 90on it and crimp a new fitting if the wires have enough slack in them if not looks like your buying a brand new kit of universals
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

You could also try boot covers... My car has the stock exhaust manifolds, but when I replaced my wires (probably over a year ago) I used the boot covers that were on my car on the new wires.

I don't know if they were stock, or if the previous owner put them on, but they're just little aluminum sheaths with springs on the end... covers the boot nicely and protects it fairly well.

Comment

if they have already burnt through thats not going to help a bit..
        2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
        1991 3000GT VR4

Comment

you need the 90 degree ones from pre-98?? (i think im wrong) cars.
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

i didn't know they had a set premade that would work.. even better than making your own!
            2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
            1991 3000GT VR4

Comment

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

second option down is what you need.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

well that was a failure. ill do my homework next time. thanks guys
                1999 v6 Camaro M5
                Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
                !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

yeah definately angle boots. i put a msd wires and coils on when i had the engine built and quite frankly have had nothing but troubles. 2 coils went out, had to replace a wire, etc. and im still having issues with misfiring.
                  sigpic

Comment

90* boot wires is all you need man.

i forgot to do that when i installed my headers and still had my straight boot msd wires in and they got fried within minutes---way too close to the headers. 90 degree wires did the trick, just make sure to tie them away from the heat and you're golden.
                    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

With my RK headers, I use the straight boots with boot covers , their 1200 degrees and will break down at 1500 degrees. I would always recommend boot protectors on any good wires, will make them last alot longer.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        With my RK headers, I use the straight boots with boot covers , their 1200 degrees and will break down at 1500 degrees. I would always recommend boot protectors on any good wires, will make them last alot longer.

can i get them locally at advance auto or something like that? i think im just gunna use my old 90 degree boots so i dont have to spend $$ or wait for them to ship
                        1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

I got mine on ebay for like $26 shipped, I'll find the link for ya, but I would use the 90's until you get the boot protectors.

heres the ebay link, they must have had a sell when I bought mine , but I think these are the lowest in price and great quality. So $36 shipped isn't too bad, most places would be alot more.
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-B...item3a4e40b0c4
                          Last edited by ssms5411; 10-28-2009, 02:05 AM.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by inheritthefire View Post
                            You could also try boot covers... My car has the stock exhaust manifolds, but when I replaced my wires (probably over a year ago) I used the boot covers that were on my car on the new wires.

I don't know if they were stock, or if the previous owner put them on, but they're just little aluminum sheaths with springs on the end... covers the boot nicely and protects it fairly well.
                            I did this.

Comment

Originally posted by mestupryan View Post
                              I also didnt put any dielectric grease on the wires when installing, not sure if that could cause anything.
                              The dielectric grease helps to seal the boot keeping out moisture and such, and also helps to keep the boot from seizing on the spark plug when you go to remove them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X