Idea's Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea's Wanted

Hello all, couldn't find the introductions thread, so I decided to drop it here. I'm fishing for some ideas for some modifications that i could do with my car. It is a 1997 3.8 series II with 60,000 miles on it and it's my daily driver. which leads me right into my first question. I really would like to keep it as a summer car, but living at home with the parents means not enough room for two cars, and I don't really have the money at the time, plus the previous owner also drove it year round. so...it's seen the better part of 12 winters, and considering ohio winters, it has held up superbly, however I have rust starting to creep up from the wheel wells on my driver's side and i was wondering what I should do about it? I know I want a new paint job sometime soon, but I want to make sure it's all taken care of...any suggestions? and secondly I've heard on some sites that the 3.8II and the 3800 are different engines. I'm very confused because the factory sticker labels my car as a 1997 Chevy Camaro 3800 RS. but yet you won't find 3800 labeled anywhere on my car...nor even "RS" also, my air intake does not rest on top of the crossbrace in between the headlights like other 3800's I've seen; mine curves to the drivers side in the front corner. It does have the interior package and another odd part is that I have a 98+ dash, but a 97 steering wheel...I do know that it was built in november of 97, so maybe I got a pieces & parts car..lol I don't know...any ideas?

ok so onto modifications. engine bay is bone stock, interior has some led's under the dash that I enjoy at night, and a alpine stereo system I installed myself :D exterior I performed the DRL bypass so I can control the lights at night, and I installed some more led's under the hood where it over hangs the head light bay. (give's it a nice angel eye effect with the blue glow coming from the black accents) so around town I drive with PIAA fogs and the blue led's and it looks sharp.

I really want to upgrade my intake and exhaust to shoot for that deeper tone, and possibly change out the cams. I havent done much research on intakes, or cams so any advice would be very helpful and much appreciated. I have looked into exhaust options, and I want to get headers, but I have heard issues from some brands giving ppl troubles. I was set on the pacesetter shorties, until i heard that ground clearance with the y-pipe is only 2-3 inches!?!? and for the rest of the exhaust I'm looking for a good high flow cat, and I want to put an open cutout behind it, and a dual tip catback.

and one other thing...I'm debating on whether I want to add a turbo charger, and I have done some research on that as well, and realize how much of a project and expensive it would be, so im a little hesitant to do so...but CONVINCE ME!
    ...this would also make my decision for headers to, since I would need foward flowing headers ...

please let me know any thoughts or ideas. I am very open to any suggestions as long as they have good reason.

Thank you kindly for your time and thoughts :)

-madmike3.8II....or is it 3800??...

Re: Idea's Wanted

There are different series of the 3800, you have the 3800 series II, it says it on your plenum right behind your throttle body. You also have what fellas around here call "angled" throttle body. you have a cable driven tb, whereas the straight tb's have a drive by wire system where there is no throttle cable, just wires and the throttle plate is motor actuated.

as for the cams and exhaust questions, alot of people are running alot of different stuff, so use the search feature found here there is a sound clip thread, and a heads and cam thread that you can check out too.

btw, welcome to the site, have fun! there is also a post your ride thread in the appearance thread, so post some pic dude!!!
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. :wavey: Some pics of your ride would be cool too!
      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

dynomax exhaust :) unlocks a nice amount of torque
        2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
        1991 3000GT VR4
        2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

i have slp cold air intake and its aight...i kinda feel its more for looks than power for what you pay for it. i also have pacesetter headers and have no issue with clearance whatsoever. how much power are you looking to gain? if mild gains is all you want then look into doing some rockers, intake, exhaust, and gears and i think you would be pleased. if looking for a lot then h/c intake exhaust etc would be your route
          sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X