Whats better for gas? engine braking, or coasting in neutral? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats better for gas? engine braking, or coasting in neutral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats better for gas? engine braking, or coasting in neutral?

so overall what do you guys think is better on gas?

when you idle in neutral, car is at like 900 rpms, less revs=less gas...

BUT under engine braking aren't some of the injectors disabled? So less cylinders, less gas....

SO normal driving whats better, compression braking? or coasting in neutral?
    -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Neutral in my experience. Easier to brake too, saves on gas and brake pad.
    1999 Firebird

Comment

lower RPMs=less gas

Comment

but it doesnt make as cool of a sound...

Comment

I have tried both techniques (with an aggressive driving style) and coasting had given better results. but, engine braking lowers your braking distance significantly... (really good for when you spot the cop at the end of a big curve on the highway)
          99 Camaro M5

Comment

if im driving and i put my car in neutral the rpms stay the same as if im still in drive, but i know the car is in neutral because i can hit the gas and the rpms will shot up. Also if i jack the rear of my car up off the ground and put it in neutral the tires spin just like its in drive, whats up with this???
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by shenanigans:
              BUT under engine braking aren't some of the injectors disabled? So less cylinders, less gas....
              All the injectors are disabled. You will use no gas during engine braking. ;)
              Matt
              1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
              Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
                All the injectors are disabled. You will use no gas during engine braking.
                If there is no gas feeding the cylinders, then in theory you could turn the key off entirely while coasting to a stop in gear and it would have the same effect? I can't see how that's correct. If forward momentum alone was the only thing turning over the motor you would not "coast" to a stop, you'd come to a screeching halt.

The fuel tables in the PCM map are based off both rpm and throttle position correct?

I think you save a little gas by putting the car in neutral (or holding in the clutch) and using just your brakes to stop. You use more of your brake pads this way, but it saves gas and probably engine life as well.
                1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

If the injectors were shut off, there would be no exhaust noise while engine braking. Try shutting off the key while moving in gear, there will be no noise.

g
                  2002 Pewter V6 Camaro M5 <br /><br />Quickest stock-motor N/A V6 4th Gen F-body.<br />2nd Quickest N/A V6 4th Gen F-body overall.<br />mods: Gear, weight reduction, tuning <br /><br />Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827 60\'<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Little G:
                    If the injectors were shut off, there would be no exhaust noise while engine braking. Try shutting off the key while moving in gear, there will be no noise.

g
                    pretty sure there is noise, seems like when I coasted in gear with engine off in staging lanes there was noise... not 100% wasn't paying attention to that, but I will try it again...

I understand that less revs = less gas...

but if injectors disable is it possible things like 3 cylinders @ 4k = 6 cylinders @ 2k?

But this all really gets into how much do the injectors get disabled? all of them? some of them? part of the time?
                    -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

just ran to the store... cutout open.

rode up to 4k, compression braking, shut car off still sounded the same tapped gas to verify it was off, nothing happened..., not even a hiccup, started car up, don't even know its on except the guages, tap the gas and revs rise.

did it twice, so I woudl assume that maybe all the injectors are disabled.

so injectors off &gt; idle?

btw this only includes manuals

Comment

Originally posted by FunkZ:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
                        All the injectors are disabled. You will use no gas during engine braking.
                        If there is no gas feeding the cylinders, then in theory you could turn the key off entirely while coasting to a stop in gear and it would have the same effect? </font>[/QUOTE]In a manual, yes. That's exactly what will happen.

If forward momentum alone was the only thing turning over the motor you would not "coast" to a stop, you'd come to a screeching halt.
                        Not sure why you say that. You can turn a motor over by hand with a wrench with the engine off. It's pretty damn hard fighting the compression, but you can do it.

pretty sure there is noise, seems like when I coasted in gear with engine off in staging lanes there was noise... not 100% wasn't paying attention to that, but I will try it again...
                        It depends on what RPM you were at. Somewhere around 2000 is where the injectors are enabled/disabled. You can hear it happen. Let off at 4000 and coast down to 1000 rpm. You'll hear the noise when the injectors are started again.

You can also look at a wideband sensor. It won't show any AFR reading because there's only air coming out. That's why you can calibrate a WBO2 sensor during deceleration. When it gets down around 2000 rpm, it'll jump back up to showing an AFR value.

From the LM-1 wideband oxygen sensor manual:
                        Sometimes it is inconvenient to remove the sensor from the exhaust pipe for recalibration. On EFI
                        equipped vehicles the following trick can be used:
                        EFI systems usually shut the injectors off during coast-down conditions (throttle closed and RPM
                        typically greater than 1500 RPM). In this situation the engine just acts as a car-driven air-pump
                        and fills the exhaust system quickly with pure air. In this situation the sensor can be recalibrated.
                        If you need to step on the throttle while a calibration is in progress, you MUST repeat the
                        calibration.
                        I can't say how much of this applies to autos, though.

did it twice, so I woudl assume that maybe all the injectors are disabled.
                        Did you actually question me? I thought you said I was the F-Body god? [img]tongue.gif[/img] :D

[ February 09, 2006, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: 98Camaro3.8 ]
                        Matt
                        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

haha yes I did question you!

makes sense, I listen to alot of stuff on the internet but I also in the end like to check things out for myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

If you have your foot off the gas, in gear, and coasting to a stop, if there was no gas going to the cylinders, when you press in the clutch the motor would die.

I've had to pop-start plenty of manuals, and when there's a spark or fuel issue and the motor doesn't catch, popping that clutch out stops you pretty damn quick.
                            1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

If you have your foot off the gas, in gear, and coasting to a stop, if there was no gas going to the cylinders, when you press in the clutch the motor would die.
                              The PCM is smart enough to quickly turn the injectors back on when needed. ;)
                              Matt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                                Low Voltage
                                by Vladimir Gecko
                                I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                                2 hours ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                5 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X