oil leak???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak???

Hey everyone. I just replaced my rear main seal while I was waiting for my clutch to arrive, well when I first fired my car up after getting my tranny back in it had a wiked "tick". So I let it idle for about a minute and it stopped. Well since then upon start up 3 times, its started ticking. I don't see any oil on the ground under the car, but sometimes I smell oil burning (I don't have a rubber shifter boot anymore). Is there something I could have done wrong???
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Re: oil leak???

sure there is... couldn't be tight enough. you need to find out where the oil is coming from. could be from ne where
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

When I did it, I tightened all the bolts on that plate that holds the rear main seal pretty darn tight, and at the bottom where the 2 bolts come up through the oil pan I shlobbed it full of black rtv.
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

if you didn't clean off your surface good enough before installing the new gasket, you could get a leak
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

If you put the crank seal o-ring on backwards it will leak. The spring inside the o-ring goes towards the crankshaft.

Comment

get a q-tip and stick it in one of the holes in the bellhousing and see if there is oil down there
            my car also ticked after i replaced my clutch/rear main, but that was because dirt got into the engine and clogged up one of my lifters

that sounds almost exactly like what you are describing.. is it possible to get a video or soundclip?

a tick that goes away when the engine gets warm is almost a guaranteed clogged lifter

heres a few things to do.. start the car up, and wait for the ticking to go away, let it warm up even more, then shut it off, wait about a minute then start it again, if the ticking is there for only a few seconds them immediately goes away it is probably a lifter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              2 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X