Intercooler Piping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler Piping

Do most of you use aluminum or Steel? Does the use of silicone connectors really slow down the airflow, and is welding most of the piping better? Its for a supercharged setup btw.

Also, some places i see it says aluminized pipe, what does that mean, a coating?

Re: Intercooler Piping

steel is the most common.

as far as i know, couplers dont really restrict (hardly and) airflow.

Comment

I use mild steel.... mainly because I can weld everything to the body of the car and that eliminates the possiblity of pipes blowing off. I can also body and paint the pipes easy.
      I buy U or J bends (hooker brand or similar) Summit brand ok just a example.

The alluminized pipes are for exhaust. They resist rust.... There won't be any water going through your intake pips so it's not needed there.

I Mig weld everything.
      Here's the engine bay in my 86 Camaro with 87GN 3.8L V6.
      ~Scott

Comment

i run aluminum piping with lots of couplers. it does not really slow down the air charge. and it is easier to clamp the steel without bending the pipe. alum you can buy a kit for cheap.

Comment

I'm planning on getting a "universal" aluminum IC pipe kit off ebay for doing mine, basically a whole bunch of different pipe lengths and bends, silicon couplers, and clamps, use what you need, etc.

Comment

Every time you add a connection (coupler) there's a potential problem with leaks. Spend alot of time chasing your tail trying to find where the leak is.
            There's not a easy way to anchor it to the body to keep them from blowing off.
            I didn't like using the few we did on the customer's job I just finished. But he'd already wasted some of his money on the e-bay stuff.

I like the least amount of connections and pipes that don't move. Had too many blow off and leak in the past. Not a problem for me anymore.
            ~Scott

Comment

Thanks for the input Scott. I was mainly thinking that I would save on weight with the aluminum pipes. I am planning on running 10 lbs boost max. Do I still run the risk of blowing pipes off with that much pressure?

Also, if I run an intercooler with inlet and exit on the same side, is there a designated inlet and outlet. Or can I chose if I want the top pr bottom to be the inlet.

Comment

It wouldn't matter which is inlet/outlet if I'm thinking of the design your talking about....

Honestly the steel isn't much heavier than the allum. Alot of guys use the allum. it's just not for me. If I had a Tig welder and alot more time it might be usefull but I'm not going to buy that stuff to save 5lbs.

You'll eventually use as much boost as the engine can handle on pump gas. The one I just finished ended up only having 2deg. of knock with 17psi on Pump gas (93)
                So... Just depends on the tune and fuel.
                Good luck!!
                ~Scott

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X