99 Camaro Turbo Setup... HP Tuners help needed!!!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

99 Camaro Turbo Setup... HP Tuners help needed!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Camaro Turbo Setup... HP Tuners help needed!!!!

Hello... Looked over the board several times after I started building a custom turbo setup for my customers 99 Camaro.

Here's pictures... It's up and running but need alot of help with HP tuners. I'm usto FAST systems and Tuner Pro which is used on alot of older OBD1 GM vehicles....

Be glad to hear any advice you guys have with WOT fueling.

Here's the parts list:

Drivers side exhaust manifold is a 99GTP upside down/forward facing.
    TA 49 Turbo (Buick GN) Flows 800cfm/Supports 550hp.
    P/S Manifold I fabricated.
    Connecting pipes to flange.. I fabricated. Stainless downpipe/to flex joint.
    Cut K member and welded in 3.25 very thick steel exhaust. (Minimal pipe down towards ground) Good clearance.
    42lb/hr fuel injectors
    Warbro 255lr/hr fuel pump
    Throttle body relocated with pipe (fabed by me)
    Other odds/ends. ;)

Anyone that knows HP tuners well please e-mail me UR50SLO@aol.com
    Thanks, Scott~

Btw... the front pipe actually fits better.. the owner put the turbo back on a little off from where it should be... He's having all the exhaust powder coated so it's all coming back off in the next few weeks anyway.

Re: 99 Camaro Turbo Setup... HP Tuners help needed!!!!

Comment

very interesting setup you have going there. looking forward to results..

also, i pm'ed you some information.
      Last edited by dmw319; 01-03-2008, 02:09 PM.
      Dave:
      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

setup is looking good. Interesting neck extension on that tb.

Do you guys have hptuners available through the customer or anything yet? Is there a wideband installed on the car? Same principles apply as other tuning avenues, just some bells and whistles within the software is different.
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Very clean setup with that TB, good work on that. :tup:

Comment

I have HP Tuners..... Bought it for this car and my wife's 98 GMC Jimmy that got all the left over parts from her Typhoon. (Turbo/DP/Exst.mflds/ect) It's up and running good. Almost ready to install the Marine intake that has external injectors and better flow than stock 4.3L Spider injector junk.

HP is ALOT different than Tuner Pro or FAST.... Once I get to know it I'll be ok but it's not the same as tune on the fly sofware!

The Throttle body was too close to the radiator... I don't like having harsh bends right before the MAF. It throws stuff off with swirling air. Been there with different vehicles before. The Re-locator I made solves that problem. You can still use all your stock Cables too. It worked out nice.
            Thanks for your input,
            Scott.
            Here's a picture of my GN powered Camaro. (1986 body/87GN engine)
            This is how I'd do the newer camaro if it was up to me... and no budjet. ;)

Comment

really nice work man. pm'ed you again. :)
              Dave:
              00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
              97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

How did you mount your turbo? It sits up pretty high. Did you fab up a bracket?
                SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Comment

What exactly do you need help with? Have you already adjusted the fuel tables for the injector change? Have you lowered the timing? You can adjust the fueling a couple different ways, maf, time vs rpm, pe tables, ect.. generally they are set to run 13.0:1 or so. I'd richened it up 1.5 points or so until you have a handle on the tune.

Comment

Yes.. I fabricated that upper bracket to locate the turbo and made the merge pipe to mate to the bottom of the turbo. Then fabricated the Downpipe.
                    I use GN style turbo's on all my custom turbos. There's a couple reasons I do this.
                    The GN turbo sizes are made for the 3.8L's. and have been proven to perform with a certin flow rating/hp. They can use internal style wastegates which are much cheaper and work very well...
                    There's sizes from stock to over .70mm that will interchange if you upgrade later with no changes to your setup.

I'll take pictures of all the parts once the owner takes it back apart to send everything to Jet-Hot for powder Coat.

It's alot more difficult to work around the A/C on this bodystyle than the 3d Gen's. But not impossible.... If this was a Non-A/C car I could have approached it in a totaly different manor. We are also working on a limited budjet here to a extent. He'd bought alot of the e-bay allum. pipes which I normaly do not use. I buy all mild steel mandrel bends and cut/weld.
                    I normaly try and keep everything away from heat but with this cramped engine bay it's tough. We are going to use a heat wrap on the pipe that connects the throttle body when it's all done. This is still a work in progress but it's at least drivable and we can start tuning.

ON THE Tuning....
                    I set the Injector size..... I've changed PE tables a little.. and then alot.. None of it helped. I'll look back over what I'd done again and see.
                    I dropped the timing down. I also too out where it advance the timing. I should be at a safe point there for now.. ... I normaly tune slowly and inch up on where it needs to be. I'd like to start a little rich and go leaner from there. I set the AFR's at WOT under load at 11.3 but it definatly isn't getting there according to my actual WBo2. It go's way lean past 5psi under part throttle. I can't go WOT at all.

There's alot I don't know how to work with.. Histograms... Charts.. ect. How to change what is in the LTFT (long term fuel) how to work with that stuff.
                    I'm usto FAST and OBD1 stuff which is more basic and easy to work with.
                    Thanks for the help,
                    Scott~

Comment

Where did you set the afr at, I'm guessing in the afr vs ect? You will need to modify the time vs rpm also, that works in conjuction with it.

Comment

Where in Indiana you at? Everyone I work with lives near Crown Point near Gary.
                        SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Comment

Delay vs RPM... Set at 0's.... I think that was a factory setting.

PE enable vs TPS is 40% above 1600rpm

PE fuel base VS ECT is 11.3 above 122deg.

Add vs TPS is set at 0.... Might need more?

Add vs RPM is WAY rich on here but had no effect:
                          All the way to -32.... Which as I see it is very rich... (Negitive numbers are richer) unless I read that wrong?

I'd like to see mid throttle under boost in the 12's and wot being at 11.3's. No where near there now.

I live in Elkhart... (Close to South Bend) Heck.. if somone is over towards crown point or Gary I'd drive up... No problem... Just need to get down the basic's and I'd be set!!!!
                          Thanks for the help guys,
                          Scott~

Comment

yea bro I am actually in the middle of getting all my turbo piping refabbed cause it all sucks right now. I guess Ill have to drive up to the exhaust shop and have him rape me for money.

I was to impatient with HP tuners. I ended up taking it to a dynotuner up in Rockford IL

Comment

The exhaust side or the intake side? Which are you having re-done?

Might be worth having me take a look it it if your not too far away.

HPTuners isn't a quick-tune program if your not familiar with it. I've learned this first hand for sure... I like the program but it's just not anything similar to what I'm usto working with.

Be glad to help If you need it.
                              Scott~
                              Here's a pic of the wife's DDriver Typhoon in the summer.
                              I'm going to paint the truck orange this spring.. that's why the engine bay is already done. I'm too lazy to paint things twice ;)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X