Spark Plugs ???'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs ???'s

I have NGK TR6's gaped at .035... I think having blowout problems...

so I'm looking at TR6 IX or Denso Iridium IT-20 plugs...
    I did a search and I have some ???

Originally posted by pr95blackbird
    i got a call from ngk and my representative says i will need to run ngk-tr7 IX plugs gapped at 0.045
    Originally posted by pr95blackbird
    got new plugs today NGK TR7-IX (irridum) gapped at 0.045. each plug is priced at around 12bucks apeice!! ngk rep assured me these plugs will be the best for my application.
    off FTV6 09-21-2005
    pr95blackbird
    Power Adder: T04 Turbocharger
    Timing:Stock
    Boost: 6psi
    Plug: NGK TR7 IX irridium
    Gap: 0.030"

so 45 did not work?

Originally posted by Turbo V6 Camaro
    if you have the money get the IX plugs and domt worry about the gap
    off FTV6 09-22-2005,
    Turbo V6 Camaro
    "Power Adder: Master Power .70/.68
    Timing: As much as i can safely (usally 15* at 15 PSI)
    Boost: up to 20 PSI
    Plug: NGK TR6 IX iridium
    Gap: 0.045" (.042 if running rich)"

Is that your gap now ? ..
    I was going to go with the TR6 IX at .035 ... but now I dont know ....

Help me decide what spark plugs I want to run.
    List the gap, power adder, what boost you are running and
    any additional timing.

Power Adder:
    Timing:
    Boost:
    Plug:
    Gap:

Re: Spark Plugs ???'s

What do you mean, you are having "blowout problems"?

I've been using TR6's gapped at .035 as long as I've had the turbo and havent had any problems at all.
    sigpic
    1997 Camaro RS A4
    2006 Chevy Colorado
    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

off TheTurboForums
      on a supercharged, nitrous oxide injected or turbocharged engine, your cylinder pressures are much higher than a naturally aspirated engine. As cylinder pressure increases, the energy needed to jump the gap between electrodes does too. Unfortunately, the stock ignition isn't powerful enough to provide the additional spark voltage required to jump the gap. Effectively, you are blowing the spark out under boost or when the nitrous is applied. Most people simply reduce the gap on the spark plug when boost is a factor in the equation. This means the distance the spark has to jump is reduced and the resistance has dropped. ". More than 10 psi of boost is pushing the limits of the stock ignition and you really need to upgrade to a more powerful voltage supply. MSD makes an MSD DIS-4 system to do just this. The lower the gap setting, the less power you will make though. Ideally, with a blower, you want to run as close to the stock gap as possible. This cannot always be done and . There is another solution though.
      Denso makes an iridium type sparkplug with a tiny "u" groove channel in the ground electrode. Some of you smarter types may have noticed the Denso iridium plugs. The iridium makes the tip of the electrode very hard. The manufacturers are able to reduce the overall diameter of the center electrode, making the tip, very thin and to a point. This dramatically reduces the voltage required to jump the gap. As we all know, electricity flows to the path of least resistance. So with a larger gap and a supercharged engine, you picked up power. The power did not come from the spark plug itself, but rather from the larger gap area that provided a larger flame kernel. The material and electrode size allowed the plug to be gapped at the stock specifications under extreme cylinder pressure situations.
      .................................................. .................................................. ....

I did alot of searchs and I think having blowout problems...
      now that may be the plugs or it may not be...

I also got new MSD coils and 8.5mm Wires...

so I would like know the biggest gap I can run...

Comment

If you have blowout it will pop and sputter under WOT at higher rpms. How much boost do you run & is your AFR ok? If it is take out the tr6's and close the gap up to .030 and see if it improves, if it does you are having blow out. I battled spark blow out for a while with tr6's and was changing them every thousand miles or less. If I didn't the car would start to pop and miss. I do run a lot of boost though, and started to see this problem above 12 psi. They (TR6's) are actually not the best plug for FI, especially for higher boost. After contacting ngk I started to use BR7EF plugs, stock #3346, and they are 10x's better than tr6's. If it is spark blow out email NGK, their cust. support is good, and was spot on with me. Tell them you set up, and amount of boost and they will point you in the right direction.

PS Smart move on visiting the turbo forums, formerly turbomustangs. There is a lot of good info over there and plenty of people that give good advise. That is one of my favorite sites. It is a lot of ford stuff, but all engines are air pumps and operate on the same principles.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X