Twins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twins?

So as a question to all those who have put in turbos; single or twin?

I have seen a few posts warning about rear turbos, and I think the only way to run a single turbo is up front (to merge the exhaust pipes); is it possible to have twin turbos set up along side the engine with headers pointed straight down?

Like in this setup: (without the extravagant dual cooler system)

If you kept it close enough would some of the smaller turbos fit? I just like the idea of not running exhaust pipe all throughout the engine bay.

Re: Twins?

I suppose if you go with real small turbo's, you can mount them in the same area where your Y pipe bolts on to your headers....But your better off going with a decent sized single setup...just to say you have twin turbo sounds cool but in all reality, its no more efficient then a proper sized single turbo that you would need alot less work, piping, and money and get the same output power.
    Juiced Rally Red 98 A4<br /><br />Way too much to list....<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415</a>

Comment

I would expect twins next to the exhaust manifold to use less tubing.

The reason I'm asking about twins is that they spool faster, and I'm thinking 10psi would be about the max boost I would need. I know big single turbos are better at high rpm, high boost; but 10psi isn't that much (I think) and I would assume hitting 10psi earlier is better. Would there be a problem with maintaining boost when I get to higher rpm's? I'd rather hit 10psi earlier on then wait forever with a single, unless at 5k rpms the turbos can't keep up with the engine and loose boost.

Comment

how is their less piping for twins? you have more intercooler piping, downpiping, and piping for your wastegates...even with twins mounted that close to your exhaust manifolds, their IS NOT less piping then a single...2 oil feed lines, 2 oil drain lines.

and with small twin's you will not see any faster spool, then a decent sized single turbo....With a big turbo (T61, T66, T72, T72) then yes, small twins would come on sooner in the power band, but with a nice sized single turbo, you wont see any benefits over twins.
        Juiced Rally Red 98 A4<br /><br />Way too much to list....<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415</a>

Comment

i concur (not sure if thats how you spell it?) anyways twice the amount of piping, more cash, and no real benefits, why waste money on a second turbo when you could spend it on a nitrous or meth set up to aid in cooling inlet temps which would probably provide a better power gain, but if youre dead set on twins then do it it is your car!

76 Camaro Rally Sport-355/TH350- Soon to be LT1/TH350 with a little laughing gas to wake it up...;)
          89 Ram D350 CTD/M5- 1 Ton Dually getting 27 MPG's

Comment

A properly tuned single will be more efficent than duals. Look at the supra, when it first started getting hit with mods everyone was doing duals. It became quickly apparent than when tuned properly a single t70 or larger turbo could perform better. Unless you want to try and prove everyone wrong by spending thousands to do your own setup the fff kit will do you good.
            Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X