How much for turbo kit, Finished Product?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much for turbo kit, Finished Product??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much for turbo kit, Finished Product??

First things first this site is amazing. It was the whole reason that i sold my 96 prelude for a 97 camaro. I want to turbo this car, but i was wondering how much you guys that are running turbo kits from force fed fabrications have spent getting the initial kit in the car and running. I would like to run 10 lbs of boost. What should i do? I really believe the system for me to put together would be a rear mount turbo kit, very similiar to an sts kit. I have plans from a kit that a guy did at junkyardturbos.com. I believe that it would be relatively easy, and from what i read rear mount turbos dont have the bad of lag, and since i want to run only 10lbs of boost, i could use a relatively small turbo. Let me know what you guys think!! I am open to all ideas!!

Thank you

Re: How much for turbo kit, Finished Product??

Originally posted by akent
    First things first this site is amazing. It was the whole reason that i sold my 96 prelude for a 97 camaro. I want to turbo this car, but i was wondering how much you guys that are running turbo kits from force fed fabrications have spent getting the initial kit in the car and running. I would like to run 10 lbs of boost. What should i do? I really believe the system for me to put together would be a rear mount turbo kit, very similiar to an sts kit. I have plans from a kit that a guy did at junkyardturbos.com. I believe that it would be relatively easy, and from what i read rear mount turbos dont have the bad of lag, and since i want to run only 10lbs of boost, i could use a relatively small turbo. Let me know what you guys think!! I am open to all ideas!!

Thank you
    Well, for starters, welcome to the board! And props for getting rid of the riceburner. I'm going to tell you like everyone else is, though. The search engine works, for future reference. As for running 10 lbs of boost, I know you can run 8 lbs on a stock engine daily, but I'm not sure if that's just 3.4. I don't know about the 3.8. Those guys pretty much do their own thing. IMO, stay away from rear mount setups. There are plenty of other ways to turbo that car. I think you'd want to use at least a .50 trim turbo. It's gonna cost a few grand getting the kit and then getting it in the car. The FI section has a LOT of excellent reading on this subject. Have at it.
    Originally posted by LETZRIDE
    I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

Originally posted by turbohead2332
      Well, for starters, welcome to the board! And props for getting rid of the riceburner. I'm going to tell you like everyone else is, though. The search engine works, for future reference. As for running 10 lbs of boost, I know you can run 8 lbs on a stock engine daily, but I'm not sure if that's just 3.4. I don't know about the 3.8. Those guys pretty much do their own thing. IMO, stay away from rear mount setups. There are plenty of other ways to turbo that car. I think you'd want to use at least a .50 trim turbo. It's gonna cost a few grand getting the kit and then getting it in the car. The FI section has a LOT of excellent reading on this subject. Have at it.
      I have been running 15psi On a stock engine Daily with a T72.....
      Juiced Rally Red 98 A4<br /><br />Way too much to list....<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Kidcamaro98
        I have been running 15psi On a stock engine Daily with a T72.....
        really? That's neat. I didn't know that.
        Originally posted by LETZRIDE
        I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

I run 11-12 psi PLUS a 50 shot of nitrous :D

To answer your question, its usually around $2-3K just for the kit itself. But then add in a new fuel pump, fuel injectors, tuning it will be more. It is also wise to beef up the suspension, swap the rearend and driveshaft too. A properly setup turbo car will run you about $4-6K when its all said and done.

I agree with what was said above...stay away from rear mount turbos on our cars. They are necessarily bad, but the front mounts have proven to make good power time and time again. Just my .02
          sigpic
          1997 Camaro RS A4
          2006 Chevy Colorado
          2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Why is everyone against the rear mounts so bad??? everyone on this site says that to go with the front mount kits. A rear mount kit is so easy to fab up in comparison to the front mount kit. At what boost level would i have to change my fuel pump, and injectors??

P.S. Thanks for the info so far, lets keep the info coming!!!

Comment

Also, this turbo package would be used for road racing and time trial events, not the usual drag racing events!!!

Comment

wanna do it cheap? go buy some pacesetters, mount them backwards, create a y-pipe ish style pipe up in the front of your engine bay with the proper turbo flange. run coolant and oil lines.

but i hope you have the stuff for custom fabrication. i know i dont and thats why i havent done this yet. i suck.

Comment

How exactly would you mount them back word?? I doubt that you could just bolt them on the opposite side. Maybe if you cut the pipes off and re-welded them on back word so the bolts and gaskets matched it could be possible. I still believe that a rear mount homemade turbo kit would be the way to go.

Comment

How exactly would you mount them back word?? I doubt that you could just bolt them on the opposite side. Maybe if you cut the pipes off and re-welded them on back word so the bolts and gaskets matched it could be possible. I still believe that a rear mount homemade turbo kit would be the way to go.
                    well then if thats what you really want to do, its your car man... these guys know what they are talking about when it comes to turbos on our cars, i would heed their advice, but thats just me.

in the end, it is your car, and you can do a rear mount kit if thats what you so choose
                    2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

I still believe that a rear mount homemade turbo kit would be the way to go.
                      Then do it.
                      sigpic
                      1997 Camaro RS A4
                      2006 Chevy Colorado
                      2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Yeah, I am going to start getting some prices together to see what it would take to put the rear mount kit together. Questions though?? Is force fed fabrication the only place that puts turbo kits together for these cars??

Comment

First things first this site is amazing. It was the whole reason that i sold my 96 prelude for a 97 camaro.
                          :tup:

I really believe the system for me to put together would be a rear mount turbo kit, very similiar to an sts kit. I have plans from a kit that a guy did at junkyardturbos.com.
                          I'm BoommBoomm on that site....

I believe that it would be relatively easy,
                          it is ...

and from what i read rear mount turbos dont have the bad of lag,
                          not bad ... but more yes...

Let me know what you guys think!! I am open to all ideas!!
                          if you like it ... do it... my .02 :burn: :burn:

Comment

Well, for starters, welcome to the board! And props for getting rid of the riceburner. .
                            ... X2

As for running 10 lbs of boost, I know you can run 8 lbs on a stock engine daily, but I'm not sure if that's just 3.4. I don't know about the 3.8. Those guys pretty much do their own thing. .
                            10 with a tune your be ok ... but I had some Knock with the fmu and 7psi

stay away from rear mount setups.
                            why ??? ....

Comment

Why is everyone against the rear mounts so bad???

[QUOTE=Shodown] They are necessarily bad???[QUOTE].. but not proven .

I'm working on that ....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X