Horsepower from 10-12psi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horsepower from 10-12psi

Does anyone know what the horsepower gains are from 10 psi and 12 psi out of a powerdyne SC? I know that 6 psi = 80hp, but not sure of anything more than that. TIA.
    sigpic
    1997 Camaro RS A4
    2006 Chevy Colorado
    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Re: Horsepower from 10-12psi

Originally posted by Shodown
    Does anyone know what the horsepower gains are from 10 psi and 12 psi out of a powerdyne SC? I know that 6 psi = 80hp, but not sure of anything more than that. TIA.
    It really depends on your supporting mods. But for sure expect 120-130hp gain from 10 and 150-160hp gain from 12.

A rule of thumb. Once you go over 9psi-you're gonna have to change your injectors and get rid of the FMU.

This is where tuning become very crucial. For over 9psi I would also recommend a methonol injection for intercooling. Expect even more HP from that.

Hope this help.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Thats exactly what I needed to know.

Next question, how does meth injection work? I am bidding on ssms5411's Powerdyne that is on eBay and it is set up for meth injection. What else would I need for it?
      sigpic
      1997 Camaro RS A4
      2006 Chevy Colorado

Comment

i need to sticky a post about this

10 psi is simply 14.7 atmosphere (everyday pressure on your body from the "wieght" of the air) this can vary with weather and altitude..

so ~14.7 + 10 = ~24.7

"10psi" as we know it is 10 psi above our everyday environment

with turbos and SC's psi is great for braging rights, people ask me all the time "your only running 16 psi?" only people that really really know alot about this stuff knows why..

its CFM (cubic feet minute (per-mintue)) or g/s (grams per second) or lb/min (pound minute) of air that really counts

example. most power dynes see about 80 HP or 260 RWHP from 9 psi..... more t3/t4 turbo people see about 280RWHP-300RWHP at 9PSI...

my car is 380RWHP at 10psi and 350RWHP at ~8psi (also flow air in out better cuase of the cam/heads

why? look at the max CFM or flow rate numbers on the stuff.... the turbos and SC's all have different trims different size cold side's blah blah

in the end its like comparing a little hairdrier to a house fan, the fan is bigger and turning slower but can push as much, if not more, air.

just a little FYI

for you meth question read the Eveything you need to know sticky..... it about water injection but it work the same way ONLY meth is also a "fuel" and "adds" octane, but the main fution is cooling the intake charge
        Last edited by Turbo V6 Camaro; 04-11-2006, 12:25 PM.
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Next question, how does meth injection work? I am bidding on ssms5411's Powerdyne that is on eBay and it is set up for meth injection. What else would I need for it?
          It looks like he is not selling the meth injection kit (with the powerdyne on ebay) but rather just mentions that the discharge tube has a hole driled and ready for the injection nozle. you will have to plug that hole if you do not add meth injection. he might be selling stuff in the for sale section....ihave not checked.

a meth kit costs about 200 or more. it can be upgraded but that is for the basic kit. many people use the wiper fluid bucket because for one reason there is not much room in the engine bay to add a bucket. kits have all the hoses and valves and filters and boost actuaters but i think you want to custom pick your nozzle type. (i can't seem to find the link for the meth injection kits that people are using)

that is a real serious and stout blower setup. take installing it very serious as well. i would suggest starting with a 3.12" (6psi pulley) first though. if steve does not have the original pulley then think about getting one. as a matter of fact...if steves kit doesn't come with a 6psi pulley then whoever buys it can buy my nearly new (300 miles) rksport 6psi pulley for 50 bucks if they are interested. that will get you started. As MT said above, going to 9psi is a big jump. many things need to be done but the power is dramatic.
          01 Firebird A4 3.42
          Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
          and other mods
          Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

By the way,
            This might be my last post on this forum. I spent a LOT OF TIME building my website to support the v6 powerdyne install for these cars and i don't even have a way to put the link in my sig becuase i have no sig. I have been reading through the posts in the lounge and it looks like you all killed the sigs except for moderators.
            How is anyone going to know that I KNOW what I am talking about or that I have experience with a specific topic if the parts are not listed in my sig?

IMO sigs are not so much for bregging as they are for just listing what you have done to your car. It is an important aspect when considering what someone may reply to in a specific thread. "how does that guy know what he is talking about?" etc.

Is this just a temp thing until this forum is fined tuned? judging by the 'lounge' thread it appears permanent.

How am I supposed to remember the different people? Is it AZ98 that knows all about valvetrain....or was it 97AZ-RS? get what I'm saying?
            01 Firebird A4 3.42
            Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
            and other mods

Comment

Meth injection is the same as Water/Alky Injection. www.coolingmist.com seems to sell one. You only need Stage I and just buy the Meth mixture from Snow Performance. I think it's around $40.

The injection works great for medium high, to high boost. You can set the injection to work at around 8psi.

It didn't work great for me because I was running low boost of 6-7psi. Sometimes 8psi but my ave. is 6-7.

I agree with Grayman. Start low boost first then build up from there. SSMS5411 had his Vented and Shim plus the bearings and belt are all upgrade. This increased his CFM tremendously. With a 3.1 pulley you might even see a 9-10 psi of boost on your stock motor.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Wow, thank you guys so much for the information.

Grayman, you arent gettting rid of your site are you!? I have and will use it a lot!! I totally understand why you are upset about the sig thing. It makes answering questions much easier to know what someone has already done to their car. Example, you didnt know it, but I already have 36# injectors and a 255lph fuel pump ready for install. I am just waiting to either up my n2o shot OR get a supercharger before installing them (I will sell the nitrous if I get the sc, I am not doing both ;) ).

MT, I would not just throw on the 12 psi pulley right out of the box. I planned on starting with the 6 and moving up accordingly. I dont plan on going anywhere above 10 psi anyhow. If I did the 12 I would do a bottom end build first. Thanks for the research on the meth injection. Last question here, wouldnt it be easier and possibly simpler to just get an air-to-air intercooler instead of meth?

Viper, Thanks for the info on the boost stuff. I was just looking for quick answers to what people were getting out of these sc's with that kind of boost. Though, you did answer a question in the back of my mind: "Why do 7psi turbos make so much more power than 7psi superchargers?" Is that in the sticky? I have read that sticky several times and I may have missed it. Sorry if I did.

Again, Thanks for all of your info guys! :bowdown: :bowdown:
                sigpic
                1997 Camaro RS A4
                2006 Chevy Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by grayman
                  By the way,
                  This might be my last post on this forum. I spent a LOT OF TIME building my website to support the v6 powerdyne install for these cars and i don't even have a way to put the link in my sig becuase i have no sig. I have been reading through the posts in the lounge and it looks like you all killed the sigs except for moderators.
                  How is anyone going to know that I KNOW what I am talking about or that I have experience with a specific topic if the parts are not listed in my sig?

IMO sigs are not so much for bregging as they are for just listing what you have done to your car. It is an important aspect when considering what someone may reply to in a specific thread. "how does that guy know what he is talking about?" etc.

Is this just a temp thing until this forum is fined tuned? judging by the 'lounge' thread it appears permanent.

How am I supposed to remember the different people? Is it AZ98 that knows all about valvetrain....or was it 97AZ-RS? get what I'm saying?

The sig thing is temp until we find out how much strain the new style of forums puts on the server. If there is enough room on the server yet the sigs will return, else the server might need to get upgraded before they return. As for your website, get one of the FI mods to put it in a sticky for people to go and view.
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

The discharge tube has the hole for the methanol injection, and I already put a bolt and nut through the hole and sealed it with some silicon. So it is still sealed up for right now. My methanol injection system was $315 from coolingmist. I'm going to see if I need to sell it or not. Depends on what the supercharger sells for.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

yea , I think the Grayman should be in charge of supercharge :burn:
                      he is da man in that part of FI.

Comment

Is meth only injected at certain boost pressures or is it spraying all the time?

Would it be easier to install an intercooler instead of meth injection?
                        sigpic
                        1997 Camaro RS A4
                        2006 Chevy Colorado

Comment

As for the meth injection visit the site that MT posted earlier in this thread.
                          You can set the boost level at which the meth/water injection is activated. You can also set the amount. proper nozle selection... (check out the options in the kits)

The use of an air to air intercooler (on the powerdyne) has been discussed many times. However the search fuction is not working. my IAT temps do not rise hardly at all at 6psi. less than 10 degrees under full boost. powerdyne runs cool. it is not gear driven, however, so this can yield more boost reduction than other FI setups when using an intercooler. Becuase the general powerdyne IAT temps are often quite low as compared to other FI setups intercoolers are not that common. Higher PSI such as 9 or more may benifit from intercooler either way.
                          water/meth injection seems to offer the best of both worlds are regards the powerdyne bd11a. cooler temps with no drop in boost psi.

I am still considering both methods when and if i upgrade pulley.

01 FB A4 3.42
                          1.9 Rockers/105 Springs
                          3" Magnaflow LT1 + 3" Carsound Cat
                          6 psi Powerdyne
                          For Powerdyne help and guides visit:
                          http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/
                          01 Firebird A4 3.42
                          Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                          and other mods

Comment

You can set the boost level at which the meth/water injection is activated. You can also set the amount. proper nozle selection... (check out the options in the kits)

The use of an air to air intercooler (on the powerdyne) has been discussed many times. However the search fuction is not working. my IAT temps do not rise hardly at all at 6psi. less than 10 degrees under full boost. powerdyne runs cool. it is not gear driven, however, so this can yield more boost reduction than other FI setups when using an intercooler. Becuase the general powerdyne IAT temps are often quite low as compared to other FI setups intercoolers are not that common. Higher PSI such as 9 or more may benifit from intercooler either way.
                            water/meth injection seems to offer the best of both worlds are regards the powerdyne bd11a. cooler temps with no drop in boost psi.

01 FB A4 3.42
                            1.9 Rockers/105 Springs
                            6 psi Powerdyne
                            I hope to run 9-10 psi eventually, thats why I was asking. Thanks g, you been a huge help.
                            sigpic
                            1997 Camaro RS A4
                            2006 Chevy Colorado

Comment

01 FB A4 3.42
                              1.9 Rockers/105 Springs
                              6 psi Powerdyne
                              I hope to run 9-10 psi eventually, thats why I was asking. Thanks g, you been a huge help.

BTW, I'm diggin the custom sig! :cool:
                              sigpic
                              1997 Camaro RS A4
                              2006 Chevy Colorado

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X