Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting about prices

I'm tired of hearing stuff like this:

"There's a company that can make us a custom charger/turbo kit, it only costs $3150" and hearing people reply "that's too much money, if the prices drop I'll get one".

Have some news for some people...

THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS IS NOT A LOT TO PAY FOR FORCED INDUCTION! This is the single most expensive engine upgrade you can do!

A few examples...

From FTForce:

Vortech S-trim 6 psi kits (Vortech's bottom-of-the-line): $3,399.99

Vortech S-trim with aftercooler $4399.99

Vortech G-trim with Aftercooler $5099.99

Vortech G-trim with Aftercooler (LS1) $5699.99

From Thunder Racing:

Incon Systems Twin Turbo LS1 kit: $5,400 to $6,400

CNC Stage 1 Ported LS1 Heads $1,995 (for comparison)

Lunati LS1 382 Stroker Kit $3,990 (for comparison)

etc.

Sure, you can get an FIPK or a catback cheap, but when you're talking internal engine or superchargers or turbochargers, these things cost money. You saw an ad for a $2,000 turbo? Great! I'll bet you my car's title it'll end up costing double that to get it to work PROPERLY. Steve (v6maro) knows exactly what I'm talking about. Buying the kit and installing it is easy, tuning is hard.

Superchargers are expensive. Turbochargers are expensive. Engine rebuilds are expensive. There's no way around it. Don't kid yourself--if you see an "unbeatable deal" chances are you're getting ripped off. Why would that one kit that you're looking at be sooooooooooo much cheaper than every Vortech or ATI kit out there that isn't even custom? The rule of thumb is custom applications cost double what a kit could cost. So a custom Vortech G-trim w/Aftercooler should be in the $11,400 range then. Now, that $3,800 Powerdyne or $3,600 Procharger P600B doesn't sound that expensive anymore, does it?

Bottom line: Don't even think of investing in a charger or a turbo unless you have $5,000 on hand. That same sum applies to an engine rebuild. Because you just never know what little things will pop up along the way.

These things are expensive. Complaining about the price won't get you anywhere, saving up cash or maxing out a credit card will. There's just no way around it. If you want a cheap hobby stop modifying your car and start collecting stamps.

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Stefan ]</p>

I think the little red faces are cute. I agree, but I havn't heard many people complaining about the price of the chargers, just about the size of their wallets.
    www.RedLineVSix.com || 1996 Camaro, 15.159@92.5mph

Comment

Yep, Stefan is right, I went into the whole thing thinking, cool! only $995 in parts so far! now for the install and tuning, opps, there goes $1500!, now onto the little miscilanious things! oh those add up to about $500!
      Now, if all goes well, great, about $3000 on the setup, cool, now the engine gives, BAM! $5000 out the window(custom everything, $2500 stock). It isn't cheap, if you are planning on forced induction, see if you can afford to go with out a car for say a month? two? three? yep, it WILL take THAT long. Then see if you can deal with a blown motor, if the answer is no to either of these, dont even bother doing a custom install, it wont be worth it in the end to you.
      I unfortunatly had to sell my kit =( before i could even get it tuned and such. I took a big hit on it when I sold it, and it sucks, so be prepared to SPEND SOME MONEY.
      -Steve

Comment

Im gonna challange all of you [img]smile.gif[/img]
        I only have 350 invested in my turbo kit and I only plan on putting in another 5-600 bucks, no more. Don~t tell me I don~t know what Im talking about either cause I actually do know heh. we will see what kinda crap I run into. btw all the install will be done by me so save that 1500 bucks for a forged engine ;)

can~t wait to get started on it :D

Comment

BTW I do agree that people ***** about the prices too much. V8 guys spend 600-1000 bucks on headers and u guys ***** about CIAs at 600, they pay 2500 and sometimes more on a nice heads and cam setup, you ***** about a 1500 dollar setup, they spend up to 6 grand on forced induction like Stefan said, and you ***** about a 3100 dollar custom blower install which is a good price considering the cost of a supercharger system. Turbo on the other hand is alot cheaper then a supercharger to do a custom install. Just gotta know where to get parts and do the work. You have to realize that to go fast will cost some money!

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Tiago NOS'd Bird ]</p>

Comment

I am glad to see someone brought up this topic. $3g's for a supercharger kit is pretty cheap and around the same for a turbo kit is also reasonable. Heck, look at parts for a Supra. You can spend $5 grand on just ONE TURBO, not a kit or anything, just a turbo. I will post a site in a minute so you can see how much this stuff is.
            Hot Cammed LT1 Sleeper

Comment

If you really want to crap your pants check out parts for the 93-98 Supra at www.mvpmotorsports.com
              Hot Cammed LT1 Sleeper

Comment

Well i myself was a little dissapointed i spent hours trying ot contact three companies and when i did and convinced them to mass produce turbo's and superchargers. You guys *****. Lets think has anyone really tried to contact and then convince. Well they said no. Great so lets stop at know. I got them from 11,789 dollers down to 3,100 thast not bad considering it's the first time they have done this to an f body but will warranty it and install it. Youbu a turno kit or supercharger kit take it somewhere and ask them to install hmm 699 follers min. On average. I thought i would help out all of you griping my cars not fast enough and we all get sick of the answer v-8 swap. Well half the fun is working with a v-6 for two reason insurance and price can't beat either one. If anyone else has anythibng to comment please do but then you convince someone to make sonthing custom then mass produce it. It took alot of owek. So your all welcome for the griping that eventually came.
                My new ride 2000 camaro, No mods yet still waiting for warranty to run out then all out heads, cam, and supercharger

Comment

two words for you pred: Spell Check.
                  -Steve

Comment

Bottom line: Don't even think of investing in a charger or a turbo unless you have $5,000 on hand. That same sum applies to an engine rebuild. Because you just never know what little things will pop up along the way.

I totally agree! Some people think it's easy to get these cars where they are and that it doesn't cost much! Once you start, you don't stop. It's a bad addiction.. so if you don't have the cash, don't bother. Check my sig, I wrote it for a reason.. And yes, it cost me $5,000 to buy and set up the blower and exhaust correctly, and that was a good deal because I got the exhaust used! Maybe I should get into stamp collecting!! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                    2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
                    1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
                    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
                    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
                    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Hmmmmm let's see.......
                      $2500 plus in my nitrous system
                      $1500 plus labor in the exhaust
                      308's to 410's to 342's to 323's (you do the math on the cost of gears and $225 each time for install)
                      If you want to play you have to pay!!!!
                      You will not go fast without putting in some serious $$$$
                      B*tching and moaning about $4000 for a blower or turbo just doesn't cut it with us!!
                      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

I do have onething 2 say about prices though. On the we complain and LS1 owners pay this and that. We bought the V6 4 a reason in the first place which is usually money. That is why we complain.
                        2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blue Flame V6:
                          I do have onething 2 say about prices though. On the we complain and LS1 owners pay this and that. We bought the V6 4 a reason in the first place which is usually money. That is why we complain.<hr></blockquote>

well if cost is all you're concerned about, don't mod your car. Put up or shut up. I've learned in the past couple years of modding my car that it is an expensive hobby. I sometimes wonder why I just didn't get into flying, it costs just as much :rolleyes: Out of all the hobbies out there, why one that costs this much? It's an addiction. I've spent over $3500 on parts alone and I've just started.
                          btw, Stefan, I don't think this topic belongs here. It should go in the lounge. It's really not technical
                          GM 3800 PowerPak guinea pig<p>\"what cam, that\'s just a nasty mis-fire...\"

Comment

Im glad you're sick and damn tired of us *****ing about the cost, but for every price there is at least 500 people that can and will ***** about it... So, this is a useless argument. Also, I agree, it does belong in the lounge.

merry xmas.
                            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

This is lounge material, mos deff. I wish I was made of money too, but unfortunately, not many of us can go and throw down money. oh well
                              2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X