Powerdyne belts and pullies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerdyne belts and pullies

I am running a Powerdyne off the back side of the belt. I am still looking for a way to get away from this.

I have heard mention once or twice about somebody trying to use a double sided serpentine.
    Has anybody actually done this?
    Has anybody checked into availibility of double sided serpentines?

Thanks.

Welcome to the board.

I'm sorry I really can't help answer your question, but I can recomend you to v6power.net, a mustang board dedicated to the v6. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If nobody has the info you are looking for on this board, you could always give them a try and see what members over there are doing about the belt issue.
    Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

The PDs seem to be more common here. Very few V6 Mustangs run them.

Comment

Us Powerdyne users are pretty much screwed with the system. But look at it this way, it's safer (on the motor) to have a belt that slips than one that makes too much boost. You could try scuffing the pulley a little, but not too much cuz you'll tear up the belt.
        2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
        1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
        2011 Cadillac CTS-V
        2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
        2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shirl:
          But look at it this way, it's safer (on the motor) to have a belt that slips than one that makes too much boost. You could try scuffing the pulley a little, but not too much cuz you'll tear up the belt.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks but I would prefer to have a reliable boost level. It would be tough to make too much boost with a PD.

Comment

Someone told me once that there was a double sided belt available for 97 Corvettes. Doesn't come stock, but it's available.
            No idea if this is true or not, nor whether a C5 belt would work on the L36 anyway, but it might be worth checking into.

Another possible solution:

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong, Shirl, since I don't have a Powerdyne myself) but isn't the problem that the PD's pulley has grooves in it, to keep the belt in place? And since it's run off the back (flat) side of the belt, those grooves simply result in less contact area, thus more slippage than if they weren't there at all. Stefan mentioned once that it's relatively inexpensive to take the pulley to a machine shop and have them make one the same size that is smooth. In theory that ought to grip better on a flat belt.

Rik

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rik:
              Stefan mentioned once that it's relatively inexpensive to take the pulley to a machine shop and have them make one the same size that is smooth.<hr></blockquote>

The pulley that comes with the Vector 3.8 F-Body kit is not a Powerdyne-made ribbed pulley, it is custom made by Vector to be flat. What I was referring to was when people were asking for 9 psi pullies and Vector had gone out of business so they didn't know where to get one. I suggested take your 6 psi pulley off, hand that to the machine shop as a template, and get the proper 9 psi diameter from a 9 psi owner who could measure it for you and the machine shop could make you one for less than $50.

Comment

Ah, yes, the smaller 9psi pulley delemma.. yeah, try that and see how fast you lose boost due to a lack of contact area and even more slippage. Double sided belts probably wouldn't work either. Think about it, how could you have a double sided belt run on a smooth pulley.. but you could try I suppose.. good luck.
                2011 Cadillac CTS-V

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shirl:
                  Ah, yes, the smaller 9psi pulley delemma.. yeah, try that and see how fast you lose boost due to a lack of contact area and even more slippage. Double sided belts probably wouldn't work either. Think about it, how could you have a double sided belt run on a smooth pulley.. but you could try I suppose.. good luck.<hr></blockquote>

I think you are missing something here...

I have been able to generate 10-11# with a fresh belt and prepped pulley....but it doesn't last. The belt gets a little wear and the pulley gets smooth eventually.

People considering double sided serpentines aren't going to use them on the smooth blower pullies...that would negate the belt. If you had a double sided serp you could then buy any standard grooved PD pulley.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blown99:
                    People considering double sided serpentines aren't going to use them on the smooth blower pullies...that would negate the belt. If you had a double sided serp you could then buy any standard grooved PD pulley.<hr></blockquote>

But what about the rest of the engine accessories that run off the flat side of the serpentine? Wouldn't the ribs present increase your chances of throwing the belt? Or would you have all of them custom made to run ribbed as well? (Come to think of it, that could work...)

Comment

I have been able to generate 10-11# with a fresh belt and prepped pulley....but it doesn't last. The belt gets a little wear and the pulley gets smooth eventually.

What do you mean by "prepped" pulley? Have you run the car at the track? What has it done?
                      2011 Cadillac CTS-V

Comment

There are 2 people, Shirl and I that owns a Powerdyne system and we both got it from Vector Performance. There have been others that own it but they ended up selling it. Shirl and I have had ours for over 2 years. By the way the place didn't go out of business. I was with James when he closed down. He basically just wants to spend more time with his 7 year old daughter and to work for another aftermarket racecar industry.

I do recommend you check out v6power.com. Our V6 Mustang brothers do have a couple of the guys running on a PD and I believe they had there set up in a way where the belt doesn't slip.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mighty Thor:

I do recommend you check out v6power.com. Our V6 Mustang brothers do have a couple of the guys running on a PD and I believe they had there set up in a way where the belt doesn't slip.
                          <hr></blockquote>

But do they have to mount the blower backwards, like on our cars??

Rik

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rik:

But do they have to mount the blower backwards, like on our cars??

Rik
                            <hr></blockquote>

Yep, thats why I'm asking.

Comment

Yeah, but you never answered my question.. what is a "prepped" pulley?
                              2011 Cadillac CTS-V

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X