supercharge or LS1 swap????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supercharge or LS1 swap????

My bird has about 79K on it. I know that the time to do something with the engine is comming. So the only thing that I have been going back in forth is what to do when the time comes to spend the cash. So I thought that it might be worth asking the V6 crew out there what they would do.

If you had to replace it, would you put another v6(supercharged) or a LS1????

So you think your engine is about to die at 80k....?
    Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

He said that the time to do something to it is coming.
      2000 M5 Pewter Firebird [Monsoon stereo]<br /><a href=\"http://www.centerlinewheels.com/sub_wheel.php?mw_id=2\" target=\"_blank\">16\" Centerline Galaxy Wheels</a> . <a href=\"http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/\" target=\"_blank\">Headlight fix</a> . Under dash lighting . Dashmat . Headlight conversion<br />84k miles<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/tucsonbird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain</a><br />Tucson, AZ

Comment

Well mine is at 130K with no major engine work, and it has had a powerdyne attached to it for thousands of miles. I like to think they're just as dependable if you take care of the car as a whole.

Many people will tell you that if you have the option, get a V8... they're faster.

Many will also tell you that a V8 swap just isn't worth the time and extra effort. Trade your car in for a V8 if you want one.

I personally wouldn't do either. I enjoy being unique at the car shows. A supercharged V6 is fun and can take care of stock or lightly modded V8s, depending on your setup. If I had the choice to rework my stock car, I'd still have the blower.
        \'98 Camaro V6<br />Appearance... pleasing<br />Performance... just a little extra air.

Comment

I am still not sure if you mean the engine is getting old at 76k miles or if it already has some sort of problem.

Just not sure what you mean because 70k miles is not that much. The l36 is not a garbge motor.

I think there is no way i would ever swap an LS1 into an L36 car. Not ever. I would sell the v6, save a little cash...if need be...and start hunting for a good LS1 car. period. There is a TON of stuff to do when performing that type of engine swap. The research alone would take away all my free time for a very long time.

I would replace my l36 car with another L36 and i would replace my TA with another Ls1 but i would never bother swapping. Plus there are insurance issues and salvage/theft issues that need to be worked out with state licensing departments, etc.

IMO 76K is not too late to add a SC. It is the RPMs that wear out engines. You don't plan on driving at 5500 rpm EVERYWHERE do you?
          01 Firebird A4 3.42
          Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
          and other mods
          Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Bone stock my 3700 pound convertable 3.08 A4 geared 1998 V6 camaro went 16.6 at 82 mph...

With an intercooled powerdyne supercharger at 7-9 pounds of boost...3.42 gears and an exhaust the car went 15.1 at 91-93 mph at the same track...

I traded it in for a 3300 pound 2004 corvette coupe with an A4 and 2.73 gears and went 13.5 at 103 mph at the same track....

Go ahead and add the 400 pound weight differance and the Corvette would have ran 13.9 at 99 mph if it weighed the same as my V6 camaro...

Still over a second faster when comparing the Ls1 to my supercharged v6...

So the LS1 without a doubt will put you in a total different class...

But there lies the problem..Yes you'll be running 13's!!!!!!

13's for a V6 car is very fast and you'll get lots of respect..

13's in your now V8 camaro is nonthing special what so ever and you'll be all the way at the bottom of the list....

I would have NEVER EVER put an LS1 in my V6 camaro or traded my L36 car for an LS1 camaro....

Now a vette......thats a little different
            1998 camaro a4. Bone stock 16.6<br />powerdyned 15.1<br /><br />2004 a4 2.73 C5 targa<br />Bone stock 13.5 at 103<br />stock lS6 heads<br />ram air intake <br />Tr 224/224 cam<br />12.9 at 109

Comment

i would just like to say that from experience, a v8 swap is not bad. Honestly, it would take less money than to sell ur v6 that nobody wants and buy an ls1 equipped car. Personally, it took me a week of work to do the swap 4 hours a day, and had a v6 engine and drivetrain left over to resell.

Just think, if u supercharge the v6, its gunna be nice, but its gunna cost you damn near the same. Whoe knows how long it can last before u have to replace parts of the engine. and if u put in a new engine, then ur surpassing the price of the ls1 swap. Y not ahve the extra power, and still be stock where u know that the goood ole chevy 350 will last easily for 150000 miles.

Comment

76K? That's not bad at all. Sure I would love to have a 2002 WS6, but my 99 with a SC'd V6 is a blast. You do get respect after you pounce a few unsuspecting V8's [img]smile.gif[/img] Really, I am very happy with mine- after the dyno tune&lt; added that for Greyman ;) Find a good used one, and you won't break the bank and the best part, you won't be disappointed.
                Jessica :)<br />Kansas: There\'s no place like home...99 Firebird Blown/6lbs, Eaton w/3.42\'s CI headers Z28 Exaust<br />CAI, #36 injectors Intense PCM

Comment

Just keep the V6. It's an awesome engine. Much more reliable than a V8. 3800 has been awarded the engine of the century by Ward. And Ward has awarded it three or four times already since its invention.

Besides, LS1 Fbodies are getting cheaper by the year. I found a '98 or '99 Z28 convert. with 116k that sells for $6200. I will post again when I see it.

Nothing beats having both a V6 and V8. Ofcourse I'm leaning more towards a '68 400ci Firebird. Imagine root SC on this thing and I don't have to worry about Calif. emission.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

After posting this and doing some reading on the 3800, I most likely would have just supercharged it.

It has become very obvious that I need to get rid of the car at this point, it just isn't working for me. Thanks for everyones input.

Comment

I personally would either do an engine swap (depending on sentimental value of car) or trade in for a LS1. Reason being is that you also need to think ahead, after you go and S/C that car do you think that you'll be forever satisfied? Yes an S/C'd 3.8 is fun as hell to drive however 300 HP gets old QUICK and you won't beable to squeeze much more than that out of that motor, or atleast not easily... LS1 has a FAR better power potential for "down the road", is just as every bit reliable as a 3.8 (Heck my 01 LS1 is 1000 Times more reliable than my old 97 was.) and get excellent fuel milage when not being hammered on every stoplight... Just a better choice IMHO...
                      1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X