tiago, i got a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tiago, i got a question

right now im sticking with an NA setup until late summer. then i'll prolly buy your 3.4 turbo kit. which cam should i buy that will work with NA for now, and will still work with the turbo setup?

I was thinking about the Comp. Cams. 16-233-4 cam

RPM range: 1000-5000
    grind number: 260H
    Duration advertized Int.: 260
    Duration advertized Exh.: 260
    Duration @ .050" Int.: 212
    Duration @ .050" Exh.: 212
    Valve lift w/1.5 rocker Int.: .440
    Valve lift w/1.5 rocker Exh.: .440
    Lobe separation angle: 110 degrees

good cam? what would you recommend?
    \'94 Firebird, 3.4 M5.<br />Arctic white w/ red anniversary stripe. ASP underdrive pulley set, Magnaflow 2.5\" stainless catback, CAT, Pacesetters, K&N FIPK2, 1000 watt stereo system capped 1F, Eagle Alloys 16\" 077\'s, 180 Deg. Thermo.

the problem with going from NA to turbo as far as cams is that with turbos you want very little overlap which is very different from NA cams. now what i would recomend is if you are sure you are going to get the turbo kit get it first. then when you get a cam it will be perfect for the turbo setup. dont get something that wont "optimized" your system if you can help it. i know you are asking Tiago, and im sure he will answer, but i thought i might be able to help. Good choice going with the turbo kit.
    2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

thanks, the only set back is i don't have the cash for the turbo kit right now :( , i hope theres a cam out there that works both ways tho, it would be perfect then. thanks for the help
      \'94 Firebird, 3.4 M5.<br />Arctic white w/ red anniversary stripe. ASP underdrive pulley set, Magnaflow 2.5\" stainless catback, CAT, Pacesetters, K&N FIPK2, 1000 watt stereo system capped 1F, Eagle Alloys 16\" 077\'s, 180 Deg. Thermo.

Comment

no such thing exsits. you're closest option is to get one that will provide minimal help in both situations versus one that'll help you alot in either setup. If you're planning turbo buy a turbo cam... bottom line

Comment

:(

Comment

im just saying, if the turbo kit works well on a stock setup, there must be another cam out there that will work both ways semi-decent. :/

Comment

There might be a cam out there that would work decently with both setups, but i agree with what the others said in here.. you might as well save the money you were going to put into the cam and buy a kit later with it. Selecting a cam should be a well thought out process, especially on a FI application. I think you'd only be setting yourself up for disappointment getting an N/A cam and hoping it would work with the turbo later.

About that cam you posted up there, IMO that would be a horrible turbo cam. For a Turbo, you want no overlap or as little as possible. The stock Cam has a 115lsa... right about where you want it for a turbo.

[ April 11, 2004, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Teufel Hunden ]
              1998 Camaro, Arctic White<br /><br />Garrett P-Trim T04 turbo<br /><br /><i>348rwhp, 379.5rwtq @ 10psi</i>

Comment

Im gonna be using the Intense Stage 2 turbo cam with my L67 block ;)
                Past Ride
                1995 Firebird A4 3.8 Turbocharged -- 12.50 at 108
                (If you dont know me, you haven't had a V6 long enough)

Current Ride
                2006 Mitsubishi Evolution GSR

www.myspace.com/shane1015

Comment

Originally posted by Shane:
                  Im gonna be using the Intense Stage 2 turbo cam with my L67 block ;)
                  [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

What are the specs on that one again?
                  1998 Camaro, Arctic White<br /><br />Garrett P-Trim T04 turbo<br /><br /><i>348rwhp, 379.5rwtq @ 10psi</i>

Comment

hmm, well, would the cam i posted be good for NA? and which cam would you recommend for an FI setup. thanks, good feedback [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

not another one of these. sorry, but we get a lot of these broad cam q's. its really hard to give you the best answer to that. you have to be more specific as to where you want your power, how agresive a cam you want (how rough you can take it at idle), and quite a few other cams. the one shane is talking about is a great cam but it might be to aggresive for you. i'll try to find the post that has a link to a site with a ton of info on cams. sorry i cant answer it yet but we need a little more info before we can say that any cam will be perfect for you. and as was said before, the stock cam is close to the type of cam you want with a turbo. this is why its not a huge problem adding a turbo to the stock motor. now if you are gonna pay the money for a cam get the one that is perfect for you dont half *** it.
                      2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X