SUPER OR TURBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUPER OR TURBO

I HAVE A 1996 3.8 CAMARO. I WANT TO KNOW SHOULD I GET A SUPERCHARGER OR A TURBOCHARGER. HOW MUCH MORE POWER ARE WE TALKING ABOUT BY ADDING ONE OF THESE. IF U KNOW ANYTHING OR HAVE AND SUGGESTIONS JUST LET ME KNOW.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by I don't care:
    I HAVE A 1996 3.8 CAMARO. I WANT TO KNOW SHOULD I GET A SUPERCHARGER OR A TURBOCHARGER. HOW MUCH MORE POWER ARE WE TALKING ABOUT BY ADDING ONE OF THESE. IF U KNOW ANYTHING OR HAVE AND SUGGESTIONS JUST LET ME KNOW.<hr></blockquote>

I have three suggestions.

1. Take off Caps Lock
    2. Use '?' at the end of questions
    3. Unless you get the powerdyne kit, either way it will be a custom job. A supercharger kit based on the ATI P-1SC is in development. There may or may not be an open beta tester spot, you'd have to talk to Batman. It is possible that we may finally get a turbo kit... Turbolocity is gauging interest. I wouldn't hold my breathe, but it seems more likely than it has in the past. All that aside, I would recommend a turbo as you will be able to reach max boost before redline instead of building it linearly like you would with a regular centrifugal supercharger.

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: HAZ-Matt ]</p>
    Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

umm, centrifugal sc's don't build boost linearly. roots type blowers do.
      2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

http://mods.firebirdv6.com/forcedinduction.html

Maybe this will shine some light on your problem.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Arctc Wolf:
          umm, centrifugal sc's don't build boost linearly. roots type blowers do.<hr></blockquote>

No, you have it backwards. Centrifugal superchargers give rising cubic feet per minute with rpm... and this usually means that the boost will increase linearly to redline (because the cfm builds faster than the engine would use it normally in higher rpm). Roots and screw type superchargers are positive displacement and usually have a set amount of cfm that they will move regardless of rpm, and that is why they can give you boost right above idle.
          Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pathogen:
            http://mods.firebirdv6.com/forcedinduction.html

Maybe this will shine some light on your problem.
            <hr></blockquote>

BTW, will someone fix the part about the supra having a V6 with a turbo running off each bank. That is just blatantly wrong.

EDIT: List the Jaguar XJ220 as a V6 with one off each bank

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: HAZ-Matt ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by HAZ-Matt:

BTW, will someone fix the aprt about the supra having a V6 with a turbo running off each bank. That is just blatantly wrong.
              <hr></blockquote>

hahahahahhaa
              AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

lol, a 300ZZ has the same 1 off each bank setup. also, because of the design, the centrifugal sc tends to build boost exponentially. same w/ turbo's cuz of the compressor design. w/ roots type blowers, u have a set amount of cfm u flow all the time. w/ the centrifugal, u have a variable amount that rises quicker the faster u spin it.

Comment

a 300ZZ? WTF?

and "i dont care" the caps lock key is right below the tab key, above the shift key, and left of the A key...

Comment

I was replying 2 the posts above about someone thinkin the supra has a turbo off each side of it's engine and it being a V6. it's an I6, and the turbo's are mounted sequentially. someone mentioned that a jag had a v6 w/ a turbo off each bank. a 300ZZ twin turbo also has a turbo off each bank of cylinders, and it's a v6.

Comment

a 300ZZ twin turbo also has a turbo off each bank of cylinders, and it's a v6.<hr></blockquote>

there is no such thing as a 300ZZ...for the 2nd time.

try 300ZX

and also please try to spell out the word "to" instead of typing "2" like a middle school girl

Comment

haha... twice. come'on dude [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Comment

lol, a 300ZZ has the same 1 off each bank setup.<hr></blockquote>

Like everyone else said, its a 300ZX, not a 300ZZ.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>also, because of the design, the centrifugal sc tends to build boost exponentially.<hr></blockquote>

No it doesn't, it build boost linearly. The higher the RPM, the higher the boost in a pretty linear fashion.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>same w/ turbo's cuz of the compressor design.<hr></blockquote>

What? Do you know what you're talking about. Turbo's continually build boost at low RPM until they're limited by a wastegate. How they work (and build boost) has nothing to do with the compressor wheel.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>[b]w/ roots type blowers, u have a set amount of cfm u flow all the time. w/ the centrifugal, u have a variable amount that rises quicker the faster u spin it.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Wow.
                          ---<br />-\'95 3.4L M5 Camaro

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> What? Do you know what you're talking about. Turbo's continually build boost at low RPM until they're limited by a wastegate. How they work (and build boost) has nothing to do with the compressor wheel. <hr></blockquote>

Do you know what you are talking about? Turbos do not build boost at low RPM's. They don't build FULL boost until a given RPM. Based on the turbo size and the trim of the COMPRESSOR WHEEL. Ever heard of turbo lag? Centrifugal superchargers have an advantage over most turbo setups due to the fact that they build boost sooner than a turbo would.

Edit: Turbos are superior to superchargers because they are so much easier to adjust boost on. But that too can kill a motor.

[ February 01, 2003: Message edited by: Oryan02 ]

[ February 01, 2003: Message edited by: Oryan02 ]</p>
                            \" As being is to becoming, so is pure itellect to opinion, so is science to belief, and understanding to the peception of shadows.\" - Plato

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oryan02:
                              Do you know what you are talking about?<hr></blockquote>

Yes, obviously more so than you.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Turbos do not build boost at low RPM's.<hr></blockquote>

Yes, in fact, they can. If you mate the correct turbo to your engine you can build up full boost at a very low RPM. Hell, given a small enough turbo you could be building boost when you're not even at WOT. Not that that would be recommended.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>They don't build FULL boost until a given RPM. Based on the turbo size and the trim of the COMPRESSOR WHEEL.<hr></blockquote>

It's based more on the turbo's size vs the amount of cfm the engine puts out rather than the compressor wheel.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Ever heard of turbo lag?<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, and so have the rest of the newbie's who like to act like they know their sh!t about turbo's.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Centrifugal superchargers have an advantage over most turbo setups due to the fact that they build boost sooner than a turbo would.<hr></blockquote>

Not always true. See above.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Edit: Turbos are superior to superchargers because they are so much easier to adjust boost on. But that too can kill a motor.
                              <hr></blockquote>

Ummmm no. Turbo's are superior to superchargers because they have less paracistic loss and can build boost at low RPMs and maintain it throughout the band.

All of your points show that you have very limited knowledge on turbocharger systems. Try doing a little homework first. Thanks.
                              ---<br />-\'95 3.4L M5 Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X