supercharged with trany problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supercharged with trany problem

I have asked a few questions in the drive train forum but not much sucess. I feel you guys in the forced induction forum are the best people to ask questions because when I was installing my supercharger any question I asked got answered. All you guys seem very knowligable in all aspecs of the cars.

So, since my car is supercharged I will ask this question. I have a rattle in my 5 speed manual transmission. It rattles in nuetral until you push in the clutch or move the shifter towards a gear. I thought it was the throwout bearing so I ordered a spec stage 2 clutch kit and had the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing replaced. But, it is still doing it and the mechanic who put my clucth in said it was something in my trany itself failing and he said it was nothing to worry to much about yet. Does anybody have a different opinion thanks.
    Modifications:<br />headers, throtle bod spacer, flowmaster, high flow magnaflow carsound cat, powerdyne sc with 2.9\" pulley and by-pass valve, walboro 255 fuel pump, spec stage 2 clutch, and HP Tuners

Umm that sounds weird. Probably something else, or something loose. Get under there with it running and listen!

It shouldn't be related to your supercharger -- that's on the other side of your engine! Maybe if you had a turbo I'd suggest a banging Y-pipe or whatnot, but it's probably something silly just loose underneath.
    <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Is there something loose in your shifter? The handle, linkage, etc.? Or is it definatly coming from 'inside' the tranny?

I don't have a 5 speed fbody...but I have had 4 speed musclecars. Is there something loose in the 'reverse' lock out linkage, button, etc..?

Yea, like Wicked 3800 said. get under there and listen/check it out. Be careful, man...get both tires off the ground good and safe on multiple jackstands...leave the floor jack under there as third jack, firmly chock the front tires..front and backside... before you have a buddy engage the clutch and shifter, etc.
      01 Firebird A4 3.42
      Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
      and other mods
      Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

heat shield on my cat did that ( until it was removed). after I did my poly trans. mount I picked up a new strange rattle, but haven't bothered with diagnosing it yet as I am certain it's just something else rattling down there.

it was a foolish design on GM's part to put the exhaust hanger and torque arm on the transmission mount. too much crap tied into one point= lots of noise.
        Jason<br /><br />\'99 Pewter Camaro<br />\'93 V8 S-10

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedJD:
          heat shield on my cat did that ( until it was removed). after I did my poly trans. mount I picked up a new strange rattle, but haven't bothered with diagnosing it yet as I am certain it's just something else rattling down there.

it was a foolish design on GM's part to put the exhaust hanger and torque arm on the transmission mount. too much crap tied into one point= lots of noise.
          Yes, I was going to say that. I heard rattling too. But when I took out the SC it was still there, not much noise though. Still noticeable at low speed 1st gear. I also notice that it was coming from my exhaust and not from my tranny, that I thought it was.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

I took it to a garage and they hoisted it up while it was running and we listened to it and the rattle is definitly coming from inside the trans. It looks like I may have to rebuild it in the future. Hopefully it last awhile because I can't afford it right now and I need to find a place where I can do it myself. I might even just take it back to michigan and have my dad help me in the garage. Does anyone make a high performance rebuild kit for the 5 speed manuals.
            Modifications:<br />headers, throtle bod spacer, flowmaster, high flow magnaflow carsound cat, powerdyne sc with 2.9\" pulley and by-pass valve, walboro 255 fuel pump, spec stage 2 clutch, and HP Tuners

Comment

the t-5's make crap moises like that.. i would not worry about it unless its really loud.. jsut chance the fluid and pray..

mine has held up so far..

Comment

Thanks for the info ATGNAG

Comment

Ya seriously. Did you hear it? Just let it go, there's nothing you can do to a T5 (I dont think?) repair wise that is cheaper than buying a used one for $250.
                  <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Yes I can hear some times it bad sometimes you can hardly hear it at all. But today I thought I heard it when I first started to back up and I have only heard before when it was in nuetral. It seems to be getting a little worse every day. I don't really care about the rattle that much I am just afraid the trany is going to fail and I don't need that to happen right now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X