boost with gtp pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boost with gtp pistons?

if i were to install gtp pistons and leave the rest of the motor alone could i run 10psi of boost for everyday driving. of course i would need to up the fuel system and things like that..but could this work, i know our motor is strong but the weak link is our pistons
    97 CAMARO RS<br />12.9@103mph<br />best 60ft..1.9 ( on street tires)<br /> 1.7 (on gas)<br />turbo supra 12.5@119mph (street tires)<br />new times to come sporting the sp63gt

pistons and rods, yes, i beleive that would be fine

Comment

aren't our rods forged, so upgrading wouldn't do much?

Comment

from what "I" understand our rods arent forged but the L67 ones ARE. but i could be totally wrong.
        2001 Black S10 Xtreme 4.3L A4<br />*RedLineVSix*<br />\"Throwin sparks, draggin frame\"

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna vote that we have cast rods, so you would need pistons and rods.

Tom
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

I think this is another 3.4/3.8 mixup. The 3.4 guys have forged rods.. we don't.. they have forged rods because their motor is auctually a stroked 2.8liter..
            -Brad
            98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
            2000 V-Star Custom 1100
            If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
            :rock:

Comment

where can i get gtp pistons and rods from if i can't find them at a junk yard?
              Free Ram Air Mod<br />2001 m5 v6

Comment

your going to need some nice rings too. And while you have it apart, why not do a P&P, it'll be worth it.
                -Steve
                BTW our are forged, and yours are cast

Comment

you can order the crank, rods, pistons, bearings, and rings all through GM Parts direct. Check stefan's site under umm I believe the link is "engine" and he has pretty much all the info you will need..
                  -Brad
                  98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                  2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                  If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                  :rock:

Comment

Going from 9.5:1 to 8.0:1 compression will require you to run significantly more boost to compensate for the compression loss...

If you plan on doing this, plan on running way more than 10psi of boost to make it worth swapping pistons...
                    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Is the crank different form the GTP?

3.4L are the forged rods to back up v6maro

Comment

So then how much boost would u say we should run with the GTP pitons Card? Just asking what u think is safe not try to be a smart a$$ or anything Thanks
                        Silver 2000 Firebird A4<br />3.8 A4<br />14.746 @91.98 Feb /03/02<p>1990 Mitsu GSX 5Spd I just got it.<p>Otis for President 04 !!!!!!

Comment

I think GTP pistons are 8.5:1 compression Cardinal. Just what I remember reading [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for boost, well, it depends.

Lets say you wanted to run ridiculous boost. First off, you would want low compression 3 ring pistons (you get more HP from boost than compression). Then, you would want to make youre motor flow as much air as possible (that would in turn lower boost in the block, but you would probably see an increase in power, because the charger is still flowing the same amount, or more, air). Finally, you would want to cool the air.

Grand National guys run 25+ lbs of boost on 8:1 pistons, forged everything, air to air intercoolers, and alcohol injection (to cool everything further). I think that is possible assuming you don't get blow-by (so much pressure that the air gets past the piston & into the crankcase).

It all depends on what you are willing to do.

You also gotta remember that if you are getting knock on stock internals, switching over to GTP isn't going to do you a damn bit of good.

Personally, I think 15 lbs is reasonable w/ a good intercooler.
                          2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

12lbs @ 9.5:1 is the same as 15lbs @ 8.5:1 as far as horsepower goes...

Basically you need +3psi of pressure to compensate for the new lack of compression...

The only way GTP pistons are going to help you is if you can run more than a 3psi difference on them over the stock ones.

i.e. the stock pistons can only handle 11psi, but the GTP pistons handle 17psi... That would be a gain in your favor [img]smile.gif[/img] . But if you find the stockers handle 11psi, and the GTP ones handle 14psi, and going past either limit causes engine damage/knocking/etc... Then the pistons aren't what is limiting you!

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: TheCardinal ]</p>
                            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X