Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who thinks Turboing a 3.8 is......

Impossible?
    Silver 2000 Firebird A4<br />3.8 A4<br />14.746 @91.98 Feb /03/02<p>1990 Mitsu GSX 5Spd I just got it.<p>Otis for President 04 !!!!!!

Nothing's impossible they just decided to make it hard as **** to do with our cars.
    AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

Are there ANY kits offeres to turbo a 3.8?
      \"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the <br />shoulders of giants.\" (Isaac Newton)

Comment

It's not really that hard if you have the means to do it (ie garage, tools, and a welder). It's just really time consuming, which will cost lotsa mulla if you can't weld things yourself. You can get most of the stuff from j-yard cars to really bring down the cost aswell. It's definatly not a simple bolt on, but it's probably easier than a rebuild.
        -96 Birdie<br />-2x 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z<br />-97 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel

Comment

Hmm... when that person said turboing a 3.8, the first that came to my mind was "Supra Twin-Turbo" haha Anyone else as crazy as me? lol
          2002 Pontiac Firebird<br />Black, Coupe, Automatic<p>Mods:<br />Dual FlowMaster Exhaust w/ 3\" Chrome Tips

Comment

Hmm... now that I look into it, people are doing custom supercharger/turbo applications on their 3.8's anyway. So, anyone know if this insane turbo kit could possibly be custom-fitted onto an F-Body 3.8?

- HKS GT2835 Twin Turbo Upgrade Stage 6 - 850HPYou get all the components of the above 800HP kit and with this option you get the HKS GT2835 MONSTER twin-turbo kit instead of the RPS T72 and you get our Stage III fuel system to support the larger air flow of this turbo. -

That particular kit can be found here: http://www.suprastore.com/800hpkitcom.html

Anyone think it would work at all... or would it kill the engine?
            2002 Pontiac Firebird<br />Black, Coupe, Automatic<p>Mods:<br />Dual FlowMaster Exhaust w/ 3\" Chrome Tips

Comment

forged internals will handle it

Comment

What is a turbo going to provide you that a super won't? I don't see a reason to, when you can super it for much less money!
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Because with the turbo's you can get more boost out of them without loosing too much out of the engine, plus you don't have to worry about a belt slipping or anything like that. Turbo's are fun cause you can get a boost controller and change your boost from inside the cabin rather than swapping out a pulley. I see more possibilities w/ a turbo than a super.
                  ---<br />-\'95 3.4L M5 Camaro

Comment

Someone say turbo 3.8? Glad mine came that way :D

If I had to decide between turbo/supercharged, I'd go with a turbo. Less wear and tear and its more efficient.
                    Rob<br />89 TTA #1387<br />11.87@115.39

Comment

Uh...I'm no expert, but I can't see a kit intended for an inline-six turbo Supra fitting onto an F-Body V6 without MAJOR changes. Maybe you could swap the whole engine..but if you are going to do that, and then add a $10,000 turbo uprgrade kit...I would rather have the TTA motor. And we KNOW that will fit.

Comment

There was an electric turbocharger designed for honda civics and other tightly packed ricer cars. It might fit, if you take out your airsilencer baffles and re-do your intake hose.

Ill try and find the website for the electric turbo. I dont know how much boost you get from it, probably not a whole hell of a lot. For that matter, I dont even know if or how well it works, has anyone here tried it???
                        Property of Dave Hamburger

Comment

There had been questions about electric supers and turbos but in the end basically they are a waste of money and time. I myself have researched the idea of any electric power adder but in the end it is not worth it. My first plan was to put a turbo on my car but unless you have good connections with people who know exactly what their doing and custom welders than money wise it isnt worth it. That is why I choose the supercharger route. A turbo will work on our cars but you just need to dish out that extra bit of money to make it run efficently. Yea a super puts more wear and tear because its driven from the engine, but I think its better worth its value in the end. Turbos are no doubt capable for more boost than a super but how much boost do you really want? More than 12 or 15 psi? If I got 12 lbs of boost out of my charger (which I hope to have in the future) I would be very happy. Unless you want to spend more money on the turbo or you can find an easy way to put a turbo setup together right now the SC route is the way to go. Good luck with all. [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
                          Email: Preki1212@hotmail.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheCardinal:
                            What is a turbo going to provide you that a super won't? I don't see a reason to, when you can super it for much less money!<hr></blockquote>

More boost sooner, w/ no drag on the engine. The most efficent(!, not avg) super charger i've ever seen still ate up 30HP to produce 15psi. I've never found a supercharger in a junk yard for &lt;$100 or at all for that matter, have you? W/ an A4 you could even build full boost by power braking (or line locks) w/ a turbo. Superchargers are nice for autocrossing w/ a manual but for anything else a turbo will be atleast as good if not better. That's only due to boost building too quickly and giving too much power out of corners causing you to loose control where as SCer boost build in a linear fasion so you can predict it a bit more.
                            -96 Birdie<br />-2x 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z<br />-97 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X