Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twin turbo 3.4L v6 Miata???

Hi all,

I've been reading the posts in this forum for a short time now. However, I've been doing research for months about performance upgrades and bolt ons for the 3.4L. I've actually got a miata that I recently started installing a 3.4L into. The engine will have a set of jet hot coated hooker headers (originally for a jeep with the 2.8L v6), cam-lifters and underdrive pulleys. I wanted to go with two t-3's or two hybrid t3/t04's. However, now that i have purchased a nice set of headers, it's almost a shame to have to ditch them for custom (very exensive) ones later. I will also have a cone type filter right over the throttle body and true duals (3") into 2-way cats and two dynomax mufflers.

I am using a stock t-5 out of a camaro with the exception of an 88' s-10 bell housing (for the slave cylinder and so that it places the tranny vertical instead of offset in the usual camaro). I am also using an s-10 (internally balanced) flywheel and clutch pack, for now to cut costs. The rear end is still the stock miata unit that has 4.10:1 gears.

What type of hp do you guys think this setup will make (at least 200hp at the fly, I hope?). And what will I run in the 1/4 mile?

Check out the web page guys, let me know what you think...

http://34v6miata.tripod.com

Thanks a lot for any feedback guys.

kerist abedi

Hi Kerist,

Welcome. Very impress with you Miata there. I've heard people doing crazy stufff with there Miata like putting in Mustang's 5.0 and GN engine. Have you seen Car & Driver, I believe 1994 or 95. Where a Miata has a V8 engine and it competed with the Supra, ZR1, Saleen Stang, Mercedes and 300zx?

3.4 chevy engine is a good choice. Tiago is your man to talk too about turbo.

Small, nimble and lightweight man your car is going to be a rocket when your done.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

well I seriously doubt it will make even close to 200 flywheel with the little mods you have. Im willing to bet you are at what GM actually advertises the motor at 160 crank hp. Most of my experience has shown the motors to be overrated as all hell. Custom intake manifolds, race heads and big cam are required to hit the 200and above crank hp levels. The only other way is with Gen 3 aluminum head swaps.

Turbo though...whole other ball game.

Comment

Friend of mine has a turbo 1.8 miata putting 282 to the ground but don't remember what turbo it is sorry
        00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

run a single larger turbo on that shat and youll be happy as hell. it will be cheaper and alot easier too plumb also.

good luck man!

\m/att
          boost, you got it???

Comment

kerist, thats a cool swap your doing. I think it will quick enough for you since they weight nothing.

How strong are the miata rears, can they take lots of power stock?

Good luck with the car!
            92 S10 3800 A4(96)<br />1/4: 14.374 @ 92.25 w/ 1.976 60\'<br />Turbo and 12\'s Coming Soon!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys,

The rear ends are a bit questionable, however, the v8 guys are using 7.5" IRS t-bird rear ends as well as cobra 8.8" IRS units. I have also seen rx-7 rear ends used, but I will eventually go with the later (1.8L) rear end with a GURU LSD, this should support 600hp, and a set of custom shafts will also be required.

BTW, I will probably do some bowl blending on the heads as well, not to mention some port work on the intake manifolds.

I wanted to go single turbo originally but I was worried about the lag. I also have a real nice intercooler waiting for action.

I was curious guys, why do you guys use the LT1 throttle body? Why not try to fab up a race quad-four throttle body instead (probably 65 to70mm). I would imagine that this would be more than enough, since a 5.0L mustang with all the bolt ons will work sufficiently with a 65-70mm single blade throttle body? The LT1 just seems to be over kill, no?

Also, ReodDai, your buddy is probably using a t28 or even a t3/t04 hybrid for his turbo miata.

Finally, Mighty Thor, I never saw the the challenge that you speak of? the v8 miata vs. the competition, have any links to this challenge?

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

Comment

good project man!
                just an FYI: I have a friend with a supercharged Miata, and he's broken 2 differentials. The frist one was stock so no biggie. Then he upgraded it and it was used but with only a few hundred miles and recently broke that one.
                Needless to say, the rears are pretty weak IMO.
                he is putting down 166 at the wheels, which aint bad ar all [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

My "buddy" is a chick lol. Her friends and boyfriend own protech performance in Austin, Tx. Before they tuned it to run 282 it was pulling 14.2s at San antonio raceway. I think its a t03/04 with a BIG intercooler. When I drove it lag wasn't an issue most people are afraid of big turbos because of what they think "lag" is. Nothing beats the feeling of a big turbo spooling =)
                  00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

MrCoffee

The individual that you are speaking of (with the supercharged miata), probably has the earlier 1.6L and the stock rear end that came with these 1.6L equipped cars. Those are unfortunately, weak. However, the 1.8L rear end uses a 7 inch ring gear and it considerably stronger. On top of that, the guys at flyinmiata.com, have a full on track car that uses all miata components as well as the 1.8L rear end (with the GURU LSD unit, that you sell for a VERY pretty penny). The car puts down close to 400rwhp! and this rear end has not given up on them yet and they have it rated at 600hp. Who knows, I just might go rx-7 or even t-bird.

BTW, ReodDai, excuse me for being a "pig". I apologize for assuming your buddy was male. Anyway, are they looking to sponser a v6 MIATA by any chance?

i own a turbocharged eclipse, with a stock (and very small turbo) even that sucker has lag? I would imagine that the 3.4L will make enough low end to be able to compensate the difference. However, I have not driven a vehicle with an aftermarket turbo that is larger than a stock MR2 or even a stock eclipse, so my impression of a single (large) turbo is possibly a bit off. Heck, even the twin turbo 300zx I drove seemed to have a bit of until around 3K?
                    Thanks...

Comment

All turbos will lag.. but don't confuse turbo lag with when they make boost... just because a turbo doesn't make full boost untill 3k that has nothing to do with its "lag". Turbo lag is throttle reponse for the turbo. Ei. drive around with no boost.. slam the gas.. long long does it take the turbo to reach operating rpm and create boost. Just like how long it takes your engine to react and go forward once you hit the gas pedal.

Comment

the forced induction loves teh bigger TB.
                        The LT1 TB adaption was pretty straight forward to fabricate, it looks great, and its cheap. Why complicate and raise $$$ for less CFM? ;)

Comment

hehe on a TT setup this woudl be sweet...

http://www.mustangeater825.50megs.co...ics/dualTB.jpg

ITs a custom intake made out of some piping and parts form a 2.8L MPFI intake manifold...

runs dual stock size TBs, the throttle cable woudl be kind of confusing but then again, you are doing a motor swap so....

A single turbo will do nice on a 3.4L they have alot of low end and midrange... But are you planning for an autocross road setup? Then a TT might be more desired. (remember alot of these guys are drag strip only no twisties for them)

You can get power out of the 3.4L... Just focus on freeing up the exhasut alot, but you might have to sacrifice some low end power for that... But that may not be of too much consequence to you sicne you are in a much lighter car...

Might want ot check www.stalkerv6.com They are the guys that build road race prepped cars out of S-10/s-15 body platforms and use 60* v6s(2.8, 3.4L) and T5s to power the cars... They haul *** ... I think some people have gotten them up to the 300+ hp makr with carb setup...

BTW which way do you plan on going CArb or FI?

Not sure you will hit the 200 rwhp mark but I can see you being up there... y

Comment

if you need any extra 3.4L parts i have a couple misc. things laying around i need to get rid off. like pistons rods ecm wireing exhaust manifolds blah blah blah i also have a spare block.

cool project

[ January 10, 2004: Message edited by: southern94 ]</p>
                            1998 Jet Black Trans-am M6 T-tops<br />\"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find: knock and it shall be opened unto you:-Matthew 7:7<br />Old car<br /><a href=\"http://matthew27529.tripod.com/getsome\" target=\"_blank\">http://matthew27529.tripod.com/getsome</a><br />NEW CAR<br /><a href=\"http://garnerebel.tripod.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://garnerebel.tripod.com/</a>

Comment

BADASS!!!!!!!

VERY impressive!!!

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                              Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                              nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                              2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                              2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X