Turbodyne superchargers look very promising - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbodyne superchargers look very promising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbodyne superchargers look very promising

Sure wish they were out right now.

Okay, here's what I was thinking:

Install turbodyne supercharger in my Camaro and set it to run on command. This would be when I give the voice command to the computer.

Instead of running directly off of the alternator, I would have several gel cell batteries in my trunk (extra weight over the rear wheels) to run the charger. Because of this, I'd have no problem with parasitic drain from the superchargers we're used to and no belts to break.

When I'm not running with boost, I could have the alternator set up to charge the gel cells. This way I wouldn't have the mechanical supercharger problem of full-time load on the engine and my mileage wouldn't suffer like it would with an ATI.

I could see running two of them in parallel very easily. And if I was crazy enough, I could work out a way to run two 24V Turbodynes with a series-parallel battery array while using a 12->24VDC converter or even a second alternator set for 24VDC at low current.

This will be my crowning achievement if I can do it. I don't see any downsides. Just hope the Turbodynes are built to last a very, very long time under load for most of that time.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 1999 Camaro RJS3800:
    Sure wish they were out right now.

Okay, here's what I was thinking:

Install turbodyne supercharger in my Camaro and set it to run on command. This would be when I give the voice command to the computer.

Instead of running directly off of the alternator, I would have several gel cell batteries in my trunk (extra weight over the rear wheels) to run the charger. Because of this, I'd have no problem with parasitic drain from the superchargers we're used to and no belts to break.

When I'm not running with boost, I could have the alternator set up to charge the gel cells. This way I wouldn't have the mechanical supercharger problem of full-time load on the engine and my mileage wouldn't suffer like it would with an ATI.

I could see running two of them in parallel very easily. And if I was crazy enough, I could work out a way to run two 24V Turbodynes with a series-parallel battery array while using a 12-&gt;24VDC converter or even a second alternator set for 24VDC at low current.

This will be my crowning achievement if I can do it. I don't see any downsides. Just hope the Turbodynes are built to last a very, very long time under load for most of that time.
    <hr></blockquote>

With that kind of money, why not put on something that will actually make boost?
    1995 Custom turbocharged 3.4L Camaro<br />- Custom Garrett T3 turbo, .48/.63 A/R<br />- 30lb/hr bosch style injectors<br />- Aeromotive AFPR<br />- MSD 43 gph Inline Fuel Pump<br />- Custom Controlled ECM<br />- Just the beginning........<br />-<b>And the end:(</b> Turbo is gone.

Comment

It will actually make boost...

But I have looked at a couple things from these guys and they are a lot bigger than those pics in the other topic show (I thought they looked kinda small for having a high powered motor attached to them). They are pretty wide really.

I would say, assuming the cost is low, that they would be great for low-boost applications where you want a quick gain without the expense or hassle of a belt driven supercharger. But even getting up to 9psi, belt driven is the way to go.
      2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Its a good concept but there are a few problems I've found in the design.

Problem #1 - 270Amps of power [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img] ... thats 6Kw, no alternator on the planet can handle that, I dont even want to think about the wiring needed for that kind of current draw.

Problem #2 - Batteries in parallel? Go take an electrical course concerning DC, you'll quickly find out why you don't want to do this - even though each "cell" is in series its a bad idea.

Problem #3 - availability, so far I havent found anyone who is running these besides an experimental GM truck :|.

We're better off leaving the 10hp+ draw of energy (6Kw+) to be placed on a separate belt and not on the electrical system. You don't want those kind of voltage fluctuations on a computer controlled vehicle.
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Problem #1 - 270Amps of power ... thats 6Kw, no alternator on the planet can handle that, I dont even want to think about the wiring needed for that kind of current draw. <hr></blockquote>

so is what your saying is that the products that turbodyne produced before could not work with conventional alternators? Personally i believe that with any power adder there are pros and cons that come with them. From what i read i think this is a great idea. Since i do not know everything about these turbodyne products i am trying to do all that i can to research it. I just am trying to find a price range that these superchargers had. I think this is an amazing product for anyone wishing to become faster yet not to totally spend their life savings on their car. If you are really serious then yes buy a real belt-driven supercharger. For others this may be enough. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
          Email: Preki1212@hotmail.com

Comment

I don't feel that power would be a problem. I have wired some major car stereo systems and that took just as much or more power to run. I think it can be done. A new alternator will be a must among other things but it can work.
            White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

I definitely hope the turbodyne unit will be feasable, it would definitely be a welcome addition for us 3.4L guys!
              Black 1995 3.4L V6 \"<b>THE BLACKBIRD</b>\"<br /><b>Performance Mods </b> K&N Fipk, Hypertech Underdrive pullies, Accell Coilpacks, and wires, rapidfire plugs,180 degree thermo, 1LE Tranny Mount, Z28 Catback W/crome tips B&M Ripper shifter<p><b>Appearance mods</b> 2 1/2% Limo tint all around, Blacked out taillights, turn signals, and side markers, red PONTIAC rear Inlay, 98+ style centerplate bird and graphic<p><b>Stereo System</b>Panasonic Cqdf 800u head unit, 2 MTX thunder 280 amps bridged, 2 Cerwin Vega AI 12\'s on the rear deck, 6x9\'s in the rear sail panels, Monsoon Door panels With Memphis Audio 6.5\" Coaxials and tweeters, 1 farad EFX cap.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bu-bye:
                I don't feel that power would be a problem. I have wired some major car stereo systems and that took just as much or more power to run. I think it can be done. A new alternator will be a must among other things but it can work.<hr></blockquote>

You have wired car stereos which suck a CONTINUOUS MOTOR LOAD of 6kW before?... Bah. :rolleyes:
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

See, thats the thing dude, would the Turbo hit only at WOT? Cuz i know that even in boomin systems bass hits are just that, quick hits, What if we adapted a Capacitor to the system somehow?

I still think a HEFTY alternator would be required, hell, i think it would be best to run the turbodyne off a seperate battery and alternato all togeher if the Voltage hit is that insane...
                  Black 1995 3.4L V6 \"<b>THE BLACKBIRD</b>\"<br /><b>Performance Mods </b> K&N Fipk, Hypertech Underdrive pullies, Accell Coilpacks, and wires, rapidfire plugs,180 degree thermo, 1LE Tranny Mount, Z28 Catback W/crome tips B&M Ripper shifter<p><b>Appearance mods</b> 2 1/2% Limo tint all around, Blacked out taillights, turn signals, and side markers, red PONTIAC rear Inlay, 98+ style centerplate bird and graphic<p><b>Stereo System</b>Panasonic Cqdf 800u head unit, 2 MTX thunder 280 amps bridged, 2 Cerwin Vega AI 12\'s on the rear deck, 6x9\'s in the rear sail panels, Monsoon Door panels With Memphis Audio 6.5\" Coaxials and tweeters, 1 farad EFX cap.

Comment

A capacitor for that kind of charge would be immense!

A separate alternator isn't even needed. Just rig one or more deep cycle batteries to power the turbodyne and rig the WOT switch that activates the Turbodyne to disconnect the charging system, and hence, the alternator, from the system.

When the turbodynes shut down, then you can resume charging the extra batteries from the alternator and charge circuitry.

It's not very difficult.

I just want to see a Turbodyne that runs at a varying speed rather than spinning at the same speed. Raise the speed as you raise the RPMs and get a steady boost curve.

What I don't get is why the Trubodyne creates less boost at higher RPMs while requiring more current. The less of a load placed on a motor, the less current is required. But then the whole brushless motor thing may be different.

Comment

since it spins at a constant RPM and therefore displaces a constant CFM it only makes sense that as the NORMAL draw of air from the engine increases the boost pressure will decrease.

Its still the same amount of air though, so it'll really help out the bottomend if it works.
                      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

Hmm, i still think it would be best to go with seperate alt and and battery, but hey, thats just me, hey dude, any luck at your GM dealer fith those door badges? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

how much do these things cost? I looked at some a long long time ago, the ones that made like 4psi, were aorund $800. And the eram one only makes like 1psi, I wouldn't waste money on it.

with the boost these things are making, don't they need upgraded fuel to go with it? maybe even computer tuning?

Comment

it is my understanding that this system is only run at WOT. A number of capacitor would have to be linked. I think it can be done, thats all i'm saying. I have setup systems that have drained a cars power (with the engine off) in less then 20 seconds. I don't think its worth all the money to set up but I do think it will work. I believe there is an answer for everything, you just have to find it.
                            White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Reg Kmet:
                              Hmm, i still think it would be best to go with seperate alt and and battery, but hey, thats just me, hey dude, any luck at your GM dealer fith those door badges? [img]smile.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Door badges? Who? Me?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X