Turbo help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo help

I am in the process of putting a turbo on my 3.8L. I need to know any tips or suggestions from turbo owners or ex-turbo owners that would be useful. Also isnt the wastegate in a way a BOV for a turbo or do I also need to set up that also? I have 22 lbs injectors stock, Is it neccesary to have a higher # if I plan to run 6-9 boost. I will eventually upgrade but for now would stock injectors be sufficient? Any other feedback would be good from anyone. Thanks. :cool:
    Email: Preki1212@hotmail.com

Stock squirters will be fine if you're gonna use an FMU, you will most likely need an inline pump though. The wastegate controls the max level of your boost, the BOV relieves pressure on the compressor during shifts and decceleration, yes you need both.
    1995 Custom turbocharged 3.4L Camaro<br />- Custom Garrett T3 turbo, .48/.63 A/R<br />- 30lb/hr bosch style injectors<br />- Aeromotive AFPR<br />- MSD 43 gph Inline Fuel Pump<br />- Custom Controlled ECM<br />- Just the beginning........<br />-<b>And the end:(</b> Turbo is gone.

Comment

I have been seriously researching the idea of turbocharging my 3.8L. I just can't seem to get around the exhaust plumbing problem. I'm sure you could run it from the y-pipe forward to the turbo and then back to the cat, but that is dangerously low to the ground. You may be able to run the headders up and over the top of engine to a turbo, but that is hopelessly tight. Or you may install two turbos, one at each exhaust end, but there is no room. I would like to know what you have in mind. My head is killing me.
      180 Thermo, K&N Filter, Transgo stage 2, Pacesetters, Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Catback, 3.42 LSD, Hotchkis LCA/Panhard, Bilstein, Eibach Pro, 1LE bars, SP crossdrilled/slotted rotors.<br /><br />Vortech Project 1.0 failed.<br />Vortech Project 2.0 in the works

Comment

tiago's idea, of course it has for a little more lag than desired, is to put the turbo where the S pipe would be, right at the end of the y pipe and before the cat.
        my idea, involves a LOT of cutting, bending, welding, and cussing, but uses the stock piping, with only the aid of about a 3 feet more of pipe and a cutout piece....
        looking from the FRONT of the car...the left and right headers will be welded together, but a cutout piece will be placed on the weld, for the turbo manifold flange. that sweeps right, to the front of the engine, right over the front sway bar, where the turbo would go. i havent figured out the intake piping yet, but the downpipe would just go out by the left header. it will fit, but will need some thermal wrapping.
        2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by navyblue2000:
          tiago's idea, of course it has for a little more lag than desired, is to put the turbo where the S pipe would be, right at the end of the y pipe and before the cat.
          my idea, involves a LOT of cutting, bending, welding, and cussing, but uses the stock piping, with only the aid of about a 3 feet more of pipe and a cutout piece....
          looking from the FRONT of the car...the left and right headers will be welded together, but a cutout piece will be placed on the weld, for the turbo manifold flange. that sweeps right, to the front of the engine, right over the front sway bar, where the turbo would go. i havent figured out the intake piping yet, but the downpipe would just go out by the left header. it will fit, but will need some thermal wrapping.
          <hr></blockquote>

Man, we tried that, with a t-25 (small) *** turbo, it is just way too close to the ground, i mean like REALLY close.
          -Steve

Comment

uhh, no, mine wont be right by the S pipe, WAY to far from the intake and no ground clearance back there.I will put it towards the front of the car,as close to the manifolds/headers as possible.

Comment

So where would the ideal place be on a 3.8 to mount the turbo and run the piping ?
              Silver 2000 Firebird A4<br />3.8 A4<br />14.746 @91.98 Feb /03/02<p>1990 Mitsu GSX 5Spd I just got it.<p>Otis for President 04 !!!!!!

Comment

I think the best spot is to mount the turbo vertical in that space between engine & radiator

foreward swept headers will route gasses to the turbo
                2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strobhen:
                  I think the best spot is to mount the turbo vertical in that space between engine & radiator

foreward swept headers will route gasses to the turbo
                  <hr></blockquote>

no reason to mount it vertical, horizontal would be easier anyways, that way you can have the intercooler piping run right over to where the stock air box is, makes it a WHOLE lot easier
                  check out some pics:

http://members.fbody.com/v6maro/turbo.htm

-Steve

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: v6maro ]</p>

Comment

I have a Garret T3 I was wondering if I could run reverse Headers or just headers in general. And mount the turbo in the front of the engine between the radiator and pulley and such. Any help will be helpful.
                    Silver 2000 Firebird A4<br />3.8 A4<br />14.746 @91.98 Feb /03/02<p>1990 Mitsu GSX 5Spd I just got it.<p>Otis for President 04 !!!!!!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mike24:
                      I have a Garret T3 I was wondering if I could run reverse Headers or just headers in general. And mount the turbo in the front of the engine between the radiator and pulley and such. Any help will be helpful.<hr></blockquote>

Well I did it on a 3.4 there's ample room it's just choosing the path of the passenger side header, because the driver's side has ample room next to the power steering pump.

Now that I think about it you've also got to take into account that you'll have to move or replace some of the pipes coming from your radiator with solid lines. Heat doesn't do well when hot pipes touch rubber. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Chance
                      Chance<br />1999 Grand Prix GTP<br />*stock*<br />1993 Camaro<br />Custom intercooled turbo, BMR suspension, huge stereo, appearance mods......<br />and now most is FOR SALE! :p)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X