planing for the turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planing for the turbo

alright well i have a 97' Camaro RS 3.8, five speed. So ive decided that im gona build up mine over time insted of getting an SS.

So I dont just wana throw a turbo on it stock. So my question is what should I start with first for now. My plans are to slowy build it up with time, b/c need to get money before i do something. As of now its all stock except a flowmaster 80 series muffler and a centerforce dual friction clutch.

So where should I start first??

viper04af : I love your car you did an awsome job on it and honestly it is one of the main reasons i finnaly made the dision to go this route. Where did you start at ??
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2083942/1?cat=25&val=1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2083942/1?cat=25&val=1</a>

Well, the tranny is absolutely your weak point. I suggest getting a auto or building up the t5 a lot. Other than that stay away from a cam since you will want a different spec cam when you go turbo. Also dont get high ratio rockers (it just isnt what you want on a turbo car). You can do your heads and intake manifolds and maybe a thicker head gasket to lower you cr to allow for more boost. You should get a tuner because it will come in handy later with the turbo as well. Suspension is never a bad idea, in fact i would suggest it with a high hp car to make it safer to drive. Dont bother with an intake since you will be replacing that eventually anyway.
    2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Originally posted by ChevyCamaroRS97:
      viper04af : I love your car you did an awsome job on it and honestly it is one of the main reasons i finnaly made the dision to go this route. Where did you start at ??
      i started with the paint job.... lol then i was like **** it looks fast i better make it fast..... hehe

I'm in the Air force and i was over italy for 2 years so i saved and saved and took out a loan (that about paid off now [img]smile.gif[/img] ) to get the money and got everything for the motor and got the turbo kit, witch i later upgraded. my dad took out the motor and took it to the shop.... the biult it and i came home on leave and worked on the car.... then i fine got done over there and drive the car down to my new base in fl last year and put the turbo on last july..... since then i have been fixing stuff that is broken and upgrading stuff like injectors this weekend. (at the time 57# was the largest buy time i got mine up and running 65#'s had came out)

what ever you di if you want to do the motor save and do the hole thing at one time it will save you ~2000 in the end...

however the stock motor is a beast, you can upgrade the cam, vavle trian, exhuast, fuel system and tuning and put out some really wicked numbers

good luck
      www.turbov6camaro.com
      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

http://rksport.com/product/p_010910284/view_detail

with that set-up what else would i need.
        I think i know most of what else i would need to get but i was j/w if im right
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2083942/1?cat=25&val=1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2083942/1?cat=25&val=1</a>

Comment

Ok idk what set up to look at . Other then the rk/Powerdyne what else is there???

on the users list all i see are those or custom. Can some one help me out. I am serious about getting a turbo/supercharger I just cant find hte right one. Others have been telling me that there are many kits out there but that seems to be ther only one.

theres the kit on 3800 performance.com but its been put on the backburnner. The guy that runs 3800 lives not to far from me, I know some one who has him number so i need to contact him to talk to him.

So other than RK/Powerdyne, 3800 performance's cartering kit??, and a custom kit what else is out there??????

Comment

posted some info on mifbody for ya about kit options
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

first, don't buy the SC directly from RKsport. I am sure it is sold elsewhere for about 3300 or 3400 bucks. (check our sponsors...)

don't believe it when any kit is sold as 'everything included.' with that in mind there are some mandatory (easy and cheap) mods that go along with ANY forced induction conversion for our cars as well as some mandatory things like an electronic fuel pressure gage. (about $120 for sender and gage... you can pay a litle less or a lot more)

other little things will add up a bit....but not like the big purchase of a turbo kit (if you can find one) or building your own turbo (if you know how) or buying a 'ready' and comprehensive and proven kit like the rksport powerdyne.

as stated above... your weakest point in the car right now is the M5 tranny. that sucker has trouble handling the stock (200 crank horsepower) when driven 'sports car style' everyday. If you go installing a sledge hammer like a 6 pis SC or a 10+ psi turbo on that tranny...forget it. game over. It sucks. it really sucks. nothing but horror stories from built v6 cars and the stock m5 tranny.

major engine mods like ported heads and manifold become more important as your max boost level increases. this is not just for optimal performance but for engine safety. tight (small - stock) head ports, etc. increase boost pressure inside the engine (back pressure) rather than letting the A/F mixture pass through into the cylinders more readily. (lots of reading to go along with what i just said. it goes the same for any type of FI though.)

you can go about 6 psi of boost without MAJOR mods like fuel pumps, injectors, tuning, (well...you may still need to tune a turbo...seeing as it is custom and all) etc.. If you start going beyond 6psi then a pandora's box of complimentary and mandatory mods gets opened.

But, don't go dissin a littl old thing like 6 psi of boost. it will transform your engine into something cmpletly different.

hey, you get to be the first to try out my newly revised web site. :D

hope it helps. g
              01 Firebird A4 3.42
              Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
              and other mods
              Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Originally posted by grayman:
                first, don't buy the SC directly from RKsport. I am sure it is sold elsewhere for about 3300 or 3400 bucks. (check our sponsors...)

don't believe it when any kit is sold as 'everything included.' with that in mind there are some mandatory (easy and cheap) mods that go along with ANY forced induction conversion for our cars as well as some mandatory things like an electronic fuel pressure gage. (about $120 for sender and gage... you can pay a litle less or a lot more)

other little things will add up a bit....but not like the big purchase of a turbo kit (if you can find one) or building your own turbo (if you know how) or buying a 'ready' and comprehensive and proven kit like the rksport powerdyne.

as stated above... your weakest point in the car right now is the M5 tranny. that sucker has trouble handling the stock (200 crank horsepower) when driven 'sports car style' everyday. If you go installing a sledge hammer like a 6 pis SC or a 10+ psi turbo on that tranny...forget it. game over. It sucks. it really sucks. nothing but horror stories from built v6 cars and the stock m5 tranny.

major engine mods like ported heads and manifold become more important as your max boost level increases. this is not just for optimal performance but for engine safety. tight (small - stock) head ports, etc. increase boost pressure inside the engine (back pressure) rather than letting the A/F mixture pass through into the cylinders more readily. (lots of reading to go along with what i just said. it goes the same for any type of FI though.)

you can go about 6 psi of boost without MAJOR mods like fuel pumps, injectors, tuning, (well...you may still need to tune a turbo...seeing as it is custom and all) etc.. If you start going beyond 6psi then a pandora's box of complimentary and mandatory mods gets opened.

But, don't go dissin a littl old thing like 6 psi of boost. it will transform your engine into something cmpletly different.

hey, you get to be the first to try out my newly revised web site. :D

hope it helps. g
                ehh i'm still on stock intake's :D :eek:

also my tranny blew into little pieces
                www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

yea, viper...you would have about 900 horsepower if you would just port them heads. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                  01 Firebird A4 3.42
                  Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                  and other mods
                  Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Originally posted by grayman:
                    yea, viper...you would have about 900 horsepower if you would just port them heads. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                    heads are ported intake's are not
                    www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Thanks for all the info. But ist the powerdyne kit for our engines a partner joint w/ RK and powerdyne. thus meaning rk is the only place to buy it new. as for the rest, Im planing on pacesetterheaders at the same time as the SC, eventualy P&P on heads maby intake. As for the tranny would it be that bad under 6psi, if so what are my other choices?? i dont want an AUTO by ANY means. If drivein right could my M5 hold out??? b/c if id have to get a whole new tranny i think that kinda shoots my whole projects down and back to saveing up for an SS

Comment

so I can buy the powerdyne and it will bolt right on to my stock car with 6 psi I don't plan going higher but how much horsepower will I be looking at and will I need a intake or does it come with one
                        eric head

Comment

Originally posted by eric head:
                          so I can buy the powerdyne and it will bolt right on to my stock car with 6 psi I don't plan going higher but how much horsepower will I be looking at and will I need a intake or does it come with one
                          About 60 to the rear wheels. Check out the nitrous section about the exhaust issue. Everyone will recommend new exhaust for a supercharger as well. Though it is not as harmful as nitrous, you will still run a risk of damage on stock exhaust.
                          sigpic
                          1997 Camaro RS A4
                          2006 Chevy Colorado
                          2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

i would worry about tuning and injectors.

maybe get a built T5 or a T56? i want to know
                            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown:
                              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by eric head:
                              About 60 to the rear wheels. Check out the nitrous section about the exhaust issue. Everyone will recommend new exhaust for a supercharger as well. Though it is not as harmful as nitrous, you will still run a risk of damage on stock exhaust. </font>[/QUOTE]accualy with a boost ed car and ****ty exhuast the car won't go anywhere lol ask hows i knows [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img] *opens cut out* ahhhhh there we go back to normal
                              www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X