Intercooled powerdyne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooled powerdyne

Has anyone intercooled there powerdyne kit yet? Is this possible and if somebody has what gains were made. I am just curious.

One guy did by using a simple air-air intercooler he robbed off a junked car somewhere - I forget who it was exactly. I'm sure it would help some but at 6psi it will drop the boost a tad.
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dominic:
      One guy did by using a simple air-air intercooler he robbed off a junked car somewhere - I forget who it was exactly. I'm sure it would help some but at 6psi it will drop the boost a tad.<hr></blockquote>

Especially with air to air you will definately lose boost due to all that plumbing. I know of an S10 running a 9 lbs with water to air and his gains are great. He has a website somewhere and I did posted this last year. If I find it again I'll post it.

You could do what I've done and just go Alcohol. SMC Enterprise is great company that supply. The only pain is that the alcohol runs out and you have to refill it like a gas, sometimes I use distill water. I don't have any time or dyno but yeah the gains are noticeable. In my opinion it is the best intercooler. But then again there is N2O.

www.smcenterprises.com

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

So you say you lose boost because of all the plumbing. Why not just run a bigger pully with the intercooler. Woudl that work?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pgriffith:
          So you say you lose boost because of all the plumbing. Why not just run a bigger pully with the intercooler. Woudl that work?<hr></blockquote>

Actually you don't want to go bigger pulley. You want to go smaller, because smaller pulley will spin faster than bigger ones and therefore increase boost. My pulley is about 3" which is somewhat ideal for a 6lbs boost. 2.9" is for 9 and 2.7 is for 11lbs.

There is a company who I've talked to a couple of years ago and that's Spearco. THey are will to do a custom intercooler for you. I forgot the name of that person, Dan, I think. But the thing you have to take your car there.

But, if do go intercooler, I would recommend water to air. It is better than air to air, my opinion. You could put an ice there and get better times at the drag. But like I said, you would have to go 9lbs so that you don't lose boost. Which means you will have to find a way to make that belt stick and not slip. With 6lbs. you will lose boost and you won't get that much power.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Problem w/ water to air is cooling the water.

For a couple runs down the drag strip it is GREAT.

For a daily driver, it becomes much more complicated to do it right (and I consider doing it right to have a radiator for the water to cool it down).
            2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dominic:
              One guy did by using a simple air-air intercooler he robbed off a junked car somewhere - I forget who it was exactly. I'm sure it would help some but at 6psi it will drop the boost a tad.<hr></blockquote>

Why would you lose boost? The wastegate is what senses boost in the tubing and allows the turbo to compress as much air till it hits that boost. By the laws of physics pressure is equal in a given space. No matter how much tubing there is. Now because there is more volume in the more tubing, it will take a little longer for the turbo to spool up the desired level of boost.

Comment

We are talking superchargers, not turbos here. Superchargers boost is only controlled by the pulley that it uses, unlike turbos.

If we were talking about turbos, then you would be correct- the only negative effect of the intercooler is that boost is created later.
                All gone :(<br />Best ET ever: 14.3 (I think)<br />----------------------------<br />Check out my site for exhaust clips, burnouts, and pictures, and the supercharger throttle body mod.<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/net_addict/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">Click on the Firebird</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X