Turbo build parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo build parts

Alright guys, it's time for my turbo build. I have recently acquired a free garret super 60 turbo from my brother. I took it to my shop and everything checked out on it perfectly. What would be, in your opinion, the best wastegate, blow off valve, and wideband?

I'm not going to cut any corners building this so there is no budget, I'm just going to slowly buy the parts as i get extra money.

Not sure how much this matters, but I hydro locked my motor a few months ago and dropped a new 3800 in and it only has about 4000 miles on it. Also I'm assuming my tranny will be able to handle that low boost? It's a 5 speed.

One more thing, will I need 60lb injectors, what kind of spark plugs, and how much boost is safe on a stock motor for reliable daily driving?
    Last edited by 02firebird; 12-17-2012, 05:15 AM.

Re: Turbo build parts

Tial would be best for wastegate and blow off. For wideband I have had my PLX for 13 years and still going strong. Injectors 60 lb will do nicely, NGK TR6's for plugs, I would run like 8lbs of boost to start, you'll need HPtuners also.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Sounds good, thanks. This is kind of going to be a long build process since I don't have the money to buy all the parts at once, but I'll keep you guys updated as it progresses.

Comment

Definitly look into meth injection. Snow makes a nice kit if theres no budget. I have a cooling mist kit off Ebay. Ive had it for a good 6 months with no issues. Much safter boost with that stuff. Intake temps are nice and cool and less chance of detination.

I would say as long as you start out will low boost you will know when enought is enought. Get a 6-8psi wastegate spring to start with. Tial is the best WG to get IMO if you want a great one.

Are you tuning yourself?? Using HPtuners?

Comment

HPtuners is the first thing I'm going to get so I can learn how to use it properly before I start tuning with a turbo. I've got some friends that have used it before that can help me out as well.

8 psi is about all I'm going to run since this is my DD and the motor is stock.

I'll look into a meth kit and do some research on them and probably add it to my parts lists list.

Comment

Originally posted by 02firebird View Post
            HPtuners is the first thing I'm going to get so I can learn how to use it properly before I start tuning with a turbo. I've got some friends that have used it before that can help me out as well.

I'll look into a meth kit and do some research on them and probably add it to my parts lists list.
            until it creeps up to 13(i need to port my wastegate housing) when your racing on the uhmm "track" and you're like eeereeeemmmmmmgeeeeeeee!!

right now i have a 8psi spring but i'm going to put ina 3-4 ish spring then just use a boost controller so that i can fall back to the 3-4psi if meth fails. i kinda feel like the kid who's bragging aboiut what he's going to do but doesn't even have a car cuz i havent driven the beast in a while.
            definitely start with hptuners, tune yourself stock get a feel for it, there are a couple of builds in this section but you may hafta search. where do you plan on mounting the turbo?
            Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 12-18-2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 02firebird View Post

A kit such as this would work well, believe me its a great item to have with a turbocharged system. Exspecially if you want it to last.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNOW-PERFORM...98d043&vxp=mtr

Theres many brands to choose from. I personally pieced a kit together ad paid under 150 bucks in total. Works great.

Comment

Haven't really thought that far up on where to mount the turbo. In all honesty I'm going to have a shop do most of the work on it because it is my only car, and being away at college I can only bum a car off my parents for so long until they will need it back haha.

Comment

sounds esssspeeeeeeeeensiiiveeee, its almost a necessity to have another vehicle if you're putting together a kit. buy a miata and do it yourself jk
                  Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 12-19-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

The biggest issue I don't really have the know how or the equipment to build the kit myself, so my only option is a shop.

Comment

THIS might save you some time and money.... If I were to go turbo, and had the spare change, this is the way I would go..
                      aka FreedStyle
                      Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                      2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Do you know how to weld???? If so a welder would cost less then paying someone to custom build the piping. Thats what will be the majot cost of the build that can be overcome if you can do it yourself. A cheep MIG kit is only arround 300 bucks.

I welded up my whole kit basicaly in a few spare nights in the garage. Piping cost very very little. Next to nothing considering what a turbo or suff like that cost.
                        Last edited by fasteddi; 12-20-2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I've got an old friend that actually owns his own welding shop, and I'm sure he would just charge me beer and pizza haha. As for piping, just map out how I want to set up the turbo and what degree bends I would need and just buy pre bent pipe?

Comment

buy the cartuning kit! i've actually thought about selling my setup but i'm not in a position to do it now. i plan to stay boosted but would like the challenge of some really nice manifolds

Comment

Believe me, I would love nothing more than to buy that kit, but even at 3500 bucks I don't have that much to spend at one time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X