the first real roots blown 3rdgen f-body with a 3.4 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the first real roots blown 3rdgen f-body with a 3.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the first real roots blown 3rdgen f-body with a 3.4

well as most of u guys know ive done na v6's turbocharged ( both single and twin ) v6's including a destroked 3.4 turbo ( 3.0L) that made tons of power but ate itself up on one trip to the engine dyno

time for a new and totally custom project, i just scored a great condition 4-71 blower on ebay for 134$'s minus the front drive and rear bearing cover

but right now im bidding on a crager drive setup for pretty dam cheap so hopefully i score that, if not i can buy all new pieces from dyersblowers pretty damn cheap

the plan is to use a stock manifold base and modify it to mount the blower.

not sure how im going to adapt the drive pulley, but i will have to convert the v6 over to a vbelt setup so i can use the 3 inch drive belt,luckily i wont be stuck with a serp setup or vbelt on the blower.
    the drive im bidding on is a 3inch wide cog setup and if that dont fit they do make a 2 inch drive system

i have 2 options here single 4bbl carb which i dont want to do im going to more then likley use a megasquirt ecm and a 4bbl tb ontop the blower with 6 incjectors under the blower.

anyways just though id share my new project, this will be making its way into an 88 rs once its complete

and yes i will be overdriving the blower, i see far to many ppl with 6/8-71's on sb's and bb's that underive them just cause they want the looks.

my feeling is if ur going to do a blower makes some dam power with the thing

ill get some pics of the blower up soon as it gets delivered

Re: the first real roots blown 3rdgen f-body with a 3.4

Interesting. What kind of car do you have that you're going to use this on?

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
      Interesting. What kind of car do you have that you're going to use this on?
      88 rs 5speed car

Comment

Oh ok, saw your vid on Drag Racing section. Very impressive.

Comment

Im following the links dave. Can't wait to see it progress.

Comment

this is what im doing to cover the fuel injection , i will drill and tap these for meth injection nozzles as well
            Attached Files

Comment

so what do u guys think of these cam specs
              solid lifter 232/244@50 112*lsa .490/.510 with 1.5 rocker
              or
              solid lifter 244/256@50 110 lsa .515/.525 with 1.5 rocker

Comment

well the blower drive ive been bidding on went up over 550 bucks which is a shame cause it came with all sorts of extras but im going to have to pass.

i can order a new drive snout from dyersblowers for 450 bucks
                and drive pulleys are going to run me 135 bucks for the 3 inch wide glimmer driver
                so a slong as i dont screw up the drive ratio it will be cheaper then buying the lot of ebay

on a side note they will machine the rotors and install the teflon strips for 200 bucks so if i decide to go that route hell with doing it myself 200 bucks is worth it to me not to have to deal with it

Comment

:rock::omg:

Comment

so this is basically how im going to adapt the blower to the lower intake.

the bottom of this will weld down to the lower manifold

i will have to mod the lower intake first the plan is to make fille rplates to weld down inbetween the runners so that the intake is flat and dosent have the indents between the runners. this will make for smoother airflow at the port entrance

also were the injector bosses are they will be welded up from the top side to raise the roof of the port, this will alow me to port out the ends of the runners to perfectly match the heads.

if u take a lower manifold and look in the runner from the head side u will see the injectors bosses hang down and fill up about 1/4 of the port

once the adapter is welded to the intake i can get it on the motor to position the blower so everything lines up then transfer punch the mounting hole locations so i can drill and tap them for studs.

im not going to use aluminum blower studs as those are meant for intakes without a popoff plate or burst panel , this way if u get a backfire the aluminum studs snap and alow the presure to be relased from under the blower instead of hurrting the engine

i have some burst panels off the old dragster that i will build into the intake manifold

im still trying to decide if 3/8s aluminum plate for the sides and 1/2 inch plate for the top will be enough i may just build the whole thing out of 1/2 inch plate as i have visions of the 3/8's plate bending under the force required to spin the blower

im setting the blower up with a 5% overdrive to start which will be around 17 psi of boost
                    then i can deide of i want to step upto 10% 15% or 20% overdive which would make around 19,21,23 psi respectively
                    Last edited by project89; 08-18-2012, 01:06 AM.

Comment

You got everything so well planned. Love to see your end product.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                        You got everything so well planned. Love to see your end product.
                        with a project liek this u have to plan everything out very well.

the majority of ppl who take on either supercharging, or turboing or even hybrid swaps give up because they didnt plan the build very well and arent ready for any issues they may run into.

i do have a major concern about the blower though the way the roots blower works the majority of the airflow is pushed to the back of the intake making the cyls in the rear of the intake run lean with port injection.

with injecting the fuel above the blower the the front cyls will be down on power as they recive less air and fuel.as im not one for leaving power on the table i think im going to try to find a cheap 1 hp electric motor and rig up a flow bench were i can use the motor to spin the blower on the intake so i can use modeling clay to shape the inside of the plenum to balance the airflow to all 6 cyls

back home in the racecar shop we had a setup just like with a manifold for setting up the intake/mechanical fuel injection on the dragster. we would get the intake and nozzle sizes baselined on the bench and then fine tune the setup on the track with egt probes in each header tube.

the bench was mainly for balancing airflow to all 8 cyls though

Comment

taking 120 mile drive today to hit up the junkyard and an electric motor place to see if i can find something suitable for building a flow bench for the blower.

the guy form the junkyard called me a few days ago to let me know they got in a 94 camaro that im going to look at, black paint/grey cloth interior no motor or trans originally a 3.4/auto car , body is supposedly in great shape but needs paint bad
                          but for 200 bucks for a roller i deff have to go take a look, even though i have no clue what ill do with it.

mild 3.4 with a 5 speed maybe and then give it to the gf to daily drive this way she dont have to daily drive the silverado 2500 4x4
                          or gen1 sbc with nitrous
                          hell maybe even an lsx motor depending on how cheap i can find one

then again i have this itch to do a 4.3 vortec motor once i get this blower motor done.so it may very well end up with a 4.3 vortec and a turbo

Comment

ok so i mocked up the intake adapter and have a slight problem, the drive is about 3/4 of an inch off, to fix this id have to move the blower back that much but then it interfers witht he distributor

my only option seems to be get a shorter drive and move the blower foward
                            that or i can swap to dis ,

im going to look into both options and see what will be easiest for somone else to rpelicate incase other ppl want to do this once i get this up and running

for me since ill be using a megasquirt i could swap on a ford edis system or go lsx cop setup very easy but others who may attemt this may not have that option

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X