1996 3.8l l36 camaro s/c or t/c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 3.8l l36 camaro s/c or t/c

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and to muscle cars in general. Ever since I purchased my 5 speed manual camaro (August 2011), I've been trying to learn as much as I can about engines...mostly so I can try and super or turbo charge the sucker. I haven't posted anything yet because I know it must be annoying to get these questions from noobs who want power, but I've spent hours trying to find what I need and I'm still struggling.

I would rather supercharge it since immediate acceleration is more important than topspeed to me (I'd rather not kill myself), but I wouldn't complain with a reliable and well built turbo. I've seen in a couple places a powerdyne kit and ati p1sc kit based on a Procharger, but where can I get them? People keep saying the price, but never a way to actually get one.

I read the powerdyne isn't nearly as reliable as the p1sc, but the p1sc is more expensive. Reliability is a HUGE issue for me; I'd much rather spend a couple extra bucks to be confident that my system isn't going to shorten the life of my car too much if at all (I don't plan on driving it very hard, just want a little extra boost for fun).

So does anyone know a website or phone number I can order one of these kits, preferably the p1sc (or another reliable kit, turbo or super) for my specific car/engine? All the search responses are at least 5 years old, does that mean both of these kits are out of business and not on the market anymore?

Sorry last thing, does anyone know of a really skilled mechanic that could either install one of these kits or fab something up near Corvallis, OR? I want to feel confident that the person working on my car won't f it up and shorten its life.

I would appreciate it SO much for these answers. Everything on this subject is outdated. Let me know if I should include any other info.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by femtoblue; 05-16-2012, 07:52 PM.

Re: 1996 3.8l l36 camaro s/c or t/c

This powerdyne kit was posted in the for sale section a few days ago:

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=105320

Comment

save up about 3k and go turbo

force fed fabrications

Comment

Originally posted by femtoblue View Post
        Hi all, I'm new to this forum and to muscle cars in general. Ever since I purchased my 5 speed manual camaro (August 2011), I've been trying to learn as much as I can about engines...mostly so I can try and super or turbo charge the sucker. I haven't posted anything yet because I know it must be annoying to get these questions from noobs who want power, but I've spent hours trying to find what I need and I'm still struggling.

I would rather supercharge it since immediate acceleration is more important than topspeed to me (I'd rather not kill myself), but I wouldn't complain with a reliable and well built turbo. I've seen in a couple places a powerdyne kit and ati p1sc kit based on a Procharger, but where can I get them? People keep saying the price, but never a way to actually get one.

I read the powerdyne isn't nearly as reliable as the p1sc, but the p1sc is more expensive. Reliability is a HUGE issue for me; I'd much rather spend a couple extra bucks to be confident that my system isn't going to shorten the life of my car too much if at all (I don't plan on driving it very hard, just want a little extra boost for fun).

So does anyone know a website or phone number I can order one of these kits, preferably the p1sc (or another reliable kit, turbo or super) for my specific car/engine? All the search responses are at least 5 years old, does that mean both of these kits are out of business and not on the market anymore?

Sorry last thing, does anyone know of a really skilled mechanic that could either install one of these kits or fab something up near Corvallis, OR? I want to feel confident that the person working on my car won't f it up and shorten its life.

I would appreciate it SO much for these answers. Everything on this subject is outdated. Let me know if I should include any other info.

Thanks!!!
        There are no more super charger kits for our cars aside from the powerdyne which you must buy used. Anything else has to be custom fabbed. be prepared to spend atleast $5k on a reliable S/C setup if you fab one up. You can do the powerdyne cheaper but its not ganna make as much power and its limits are exposed relatively quickly.

As for a turbo, don't buy a kit, its much better to fab one up as you get alot more options and you can probably save alittle money too. FFF and Cartuning make kits but the cheaper counter-parts do not include intercooling and you will breach your limits very quickly without an intercooler. They also remove the A/C and I personally think they're a tad pricey for the removal of such accessories.

Also..your 5 speed transmission is not going to like the additional power...even beefed up they're not very strong, you are going to have to switch to an A4 if you want anything north of 300 HP.
        1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
          be prepared to spend atleast $5k on a reliable S/C setup if you fab one up. You can do the powerdyne cheaper but its not ganna make as much power and its limits are exposed relatively quickly.
          Where in the world do you come up with these cost numbers?!

As for the powerdyne, yes they have limits, thats why they are inexpensive. All of the failures ive ever seen have been do to exceeding output shaft rpm limits and so on. If you try to push it past belt and bearing tolerances your asking for trouble.

But the last time I checked any mechanical device has it's limits be it Vortech, Paxton, or Powerdye.
          Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
          Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
          Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
          Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
          Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Has anyone here ran/is running the FFF kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
              Where in the world do you come up with these cost numbers?!

As for the powerdyne, yes they have limits, thats why they are inexpensive. All of the failures ive ever seen have been do to exceeding output shaft rpm limits and so on. If you try to push it past belt and bearing tolerances your asking for trouble.

But the last time I checked any mechanical device has it's limits be it Vortech, Paxton, or Powerdye.
              Quoted it several times as I wanted to do this myself. A Vortech or Procharger head unitis going to cost about $1,200 alone. Not to mention intercooler, piping, fuel pump, custom fabrication to design a bracket to mount the thing, and labor. I don't what labor cost where you are but labor here is on average $100 Hourly for this sort of stuff and the average person cannot create the bracket / custom stuff alone. Also on FTV6 most who went this route also spent somewhere in the ball park of $5,000.

The powerdyne while slightly less efficient than the rest, isn't the main concern. The belt is the problem which inhibits from making great power. The powerdyne is cheaper yeah and it will be quite fun don't get me wrong but in the end, I wanted to do it myself too but I am thinking the OP is going to want more than what the powerdyne can offer.
              1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys! I'm afraid I think I'm going to save up for a v8 and turbo that sucker...gonna take a while to save up for it but it'll be sweet.

Thanks again and good luck to all!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X