Changing turbo compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing turbo compressor

Has anyone ever installed a different sized compressor housing and wheel on their turbo? I've never really thought about doing this till now and I'm pretty sure it'd be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new turbo since my turbine side is fine.

TEAM C6V6

Re: Changing turbo compressor

I did, just make sure you have it balanced.

Comment

Sweet, I'm gonna call the shop I bought my turbo from and see what they can do for me.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
        Sweet, I'm gonna call the shop I bought my turbo from and see what they can do for me.
        Whats your current turbo specs and what size are you going to?
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Honestly couldn't tell you exact specs. Had an issue with the turbonetics turbo that came with the kit I bought. It was DOA, blowing oil and bent fins. I brought it to a turbo diesel shop and the guy gave me a rebuilt garret off an allis chalmers tractor. The turbine side was identical but the compressor was considerably smaller than a .7 which is what the turbonetics was. I wanna say it's a .58 but it seems slow to build boost. I can watch my IAT go up the longer I stay on the throttle.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

.70 for the housing is good and .63 AR would be perfect.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Look up the number for Arizona Turbo & Tractor Supply. Sounds redneck, I know, but they do a lot of rebuild from big industrial equipment to tiny 1.3 liter turbos. I talked to Joel there about rebuilding my stock T3 and he said a rebuild would run $180 (plus shipping) and an upgrade to a T04S compressor and wheel plus rebuild would be $350. So upgrading your turbo shouldn't be too far off from that.

G-Pop Shop is another well known turbo rebuild shop that's actually a few miles away from me. They wanted $350 for a rebuild alone and $700 for the same upgrade. On top of that, they still wanted me to ship the turbo to them, despite the fact that I live 15 minutes away.
              '99 Camaro
              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X