Forced Induction for $3 or $4k???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced Induction for $3 or $4k???

Is it possible to have a reliable setup for about this? I'm not too concerned about going very fast, just want to increase my overall power so this thing can get out of its own way.

The main problem with doing a Turbo setup is that I can't weld, and that I have a Firebird and it might get pricey trying to butcher the nose so I can have a functional intercooler.

The problem with the S/C setup is finding a brackets, although I actually prefer this over a Turbo inspite of the greater parasitic loss. It's easier to manage and install.

The MAIN thing I wanted to do was an M90 install but finding someone who will do the cutting might be a pain.

The next comes UR50SL0's turbo systems, those are mean machines. It's just I don't think he can make me the headers (which are a bargain) without actually having my car and I won't have the opportunity to go to Indiana for a good while. Any other ideas?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Forced Induction for $3 or $4k???

Cartuning non-intercooled kit would be right at 4K plus shipping.

Guy has been daily driving one up here for like a year and a half or so.

Comment

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=103745

There's your Powerdyne kit. Just get that and make sure you have all the supporting mods and enjoy. Going to be the simplest route for you.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
        http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=103745

There's your Powerdyne kit. Just get that and make sure you have all the supporting mods and enjoy. Going to be the simplest route for you.
        That looks awsome and I will actually be able to easily afford it too - its just I have to wait about 2 weeks. Btw, will a inline fuel pump booster pump work with this setup if I stayed around 6 PSI? I really don't want to drop my rear axel for the third time this year....

If for whatever reason it's sold before I get to it, is there any other routes I can go with an S/C? If I purchased a Vortech or Procharger, what models would I need for the best fitment? Who can I have fabricate brackets? What PSI would I need to run to avoid needing an intercooler?

If I decided to go back with Powerdyne if this unit sales before I can purchase it, do they still make these Powerdyne units? Is there any way I can have a clone of the brackets made?

I know this has also been beaten to death as well, I am still interested in the M90, but how much would it cost to fab it to work? You have to cut the intake, plug the old inlet and pipe a new inlet. You need a new MAF, you need L67 heads because the injectors, need L67 injectors, relocate the coil packs... I see alot of people say its alot of work and not worth it for the power gains but noone is exactly specific as to how much it costs and how much you gain...
        Last edited by Need4Camaro; 07-07-2011, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Pretty much everything you'll need to know about the Powerdyne can be found here.

If you can't afford the kit now, I'd suggest you contact Pewter02Camaro and try to work out something with him.

As for an inline fuel pump, I've heard of a few brands out there and people using them, but I prefer Walbro or Racetronix in-tank replacements. I know you haven't had the best luck with those in the past, so maybe try searching a bit more on the inline pumps. If you don't find anything useful after that, I'd suggest looking into cutting a trap door to access the fuel pump from the interior.

Other SC routes... there was a kit Mach Performance had years ago that used the Procharger P-1SC. I haven't seen or heard of one in a couple years, so probably won't have much luck with that. For fitting a Vortech, you would have to figure out the brackets and everything on your own. How much PSI you could run safely without an intercooler would really depend on what trim supercharger you got... although without some sort of cooling medium it would probably not be worth the effort and cost to fabricate brackets.

Vector Performance used to make the Powerdyne kits and were sold through RK Sport, but have since been discontinued. You would need to find a used kit or one of the bracket kits that GV Performance made in a group purchase a couple years ago. If you could get the dimensions for the brackets, they could be duplicated, but you would need to find someone that is capable of machining the parts.

For the M90... there's a lot to it. Mostly a lot of small things that add up. Not only do you need to relocate the intake piping, extend sensor wiring, etc. But new fuel rails need to be made, water lines need to be moved, thermostat housing needs to be addressed (IIRC), throttle body, etc. Cost is going to depend on how much you can do on your own, and then how much someone else is going to charge you to do the rest. Different m90 builds have cost different amounts.

Just as an idea, I'd suggest you take a look through the various M90 build threads on here and FTV6. Here are just a few examples:

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...-Jared-s-Build
          http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...-actually-FITS!!!!
          http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...rwd-l67-camaro
          http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...cts-of-the-m90

After going through those and whatever else searching pulls up, you still feel confident about going down the M90 route, I'd suggest you talk to the people that have accomplished the swap and ask them for advice.

IMO, the Powerdyne is going to be the easiest and least expensive route for you. If you don't end up getting the one I linked, keep your eyes on the Sale forums. They pop up for sale every so often.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

you're definitely gonna hafta pay more than three dollars

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
              you're definitely gonna hafta pay more than three dollars
              darn... I guess gas prices arnt so high afterall :)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X