water/air cooler thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water/air cooler thoughts

I was going through some old posts yesterday and found some stuff by THOR that sounded pretty solid. Considering air/air with the PD the boost drop is probably too significant with alot of strain on the headunit why hasn't anyone setup an aftercooler with the PD? The boost drop with a solid air/water setup is significantly lower and so are the IAT's. And for those saying this should only be a drag type setup why wouldnt it be ideal for daily driving? I believe Powerdyne even had an aftercooler option for the Ford trucks. Here are some things to bounce off of you guys

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...af208d2ed15d57
    something like this, which is compact enough to put under the hood and supports 550CFM and 600hp.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...af208d2ed15d57
    A relitavely small radiator like the one above could be located in front of the stock radiator like an aftermarket tranny cooler and utilize the stock fan for cooling could work. And this remote mount radiator filler cap http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...af208d2ed15d57
    could be used to take care of filling issues with the radiator considering it would be mounted in front of the stock radiator.
    With a electric pump that could be had for $50-100 this could be great for not only the guys with a PD but turbos also(however there may be WAY less room to work with).
    AND this is much cheaper than what Vortech wants for their cooler (upwards of $1500)
    Cooler IAT's=more timing=more power.
    any input positive or negative is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Watazz; 03-20-2011, 11:54 PM.

Re: water/air cooler thoughts

Sounds like a good option to me. I don't know about the quality of Shaman equipment though. Maybe someone else has used this equipment that could chime in. How many Lbs of boost are you planning on running?

Comment

I know of somebody that probably puts plenty of DD use out of a W2A setup on their V6 unless they've completely turned it into a track car now. I'd get the intercooler leak tested beforehand just to make sure you're not sending water into your engine.

Get a bilge pump and a nice reservoir and put it in either the back quarter panel area or where the back seat well is (MyTMouse does it this way) and run some water wetter. Add ice for those times you'll be boosting hard and your AIT's will be well below ambient.

Comment

I would just stick to methanal injection if it was me, but its something new to try, I was always trying something new with the PD so give it a try. Good luck.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

3.4grapeofwrath- I will be running 10lbs max, but 10lbs without an intercooler expells really high intake temps.
          Warshrike - If i do this I will more than likely not use a resevoir and just use the radiator.
          Ssms- Ive been going back and forth with both ideas but I would like to get my exhaust finished first. If I dont do this at least I put the idea out there for someone to builc on.

Comment

I happened to email the guy at frozenboost and he said the CFM of the powerdyne (1000 I belience) wil not damage the intercooler. However pressure will. Around 70psi, but he doesnt know how much CFM would have to flow through the intercooler in order to reach the maximum psi of the intercooler. But If anyone wanted to do this build and was worrried about damaging the intercooler they could run two smaller water/air IC's in parallel!

Comment

Do it, Do it......LOL J/K
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

he also sent me some things in an email regarding the CFM ratings. For instance your car could need anywhere from 1.2-2.5 CFM of air per 1 HP. So lets say 2.5 CFM and my HP goal is 300HP (2.5*300) we get a needed CFM rating of 750, however the intercooler may support HP ratings double that of what your car produces.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  Do it, Do it......LOL J/K
                  hahaha Im definatley dreaming Steve!

Comment

Are you going with methanol injection then?

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                      Are you going with methanol injection then?
                      probably

Comment

I would like to see how much of a temperature drop that produces though. If I do run methanol I may look into getting an LT1 maf sensor.

Comment

A little late on this one, but there was a guy from the GVP Powerdyne group buy that was going with an A2W intercooler setup, but went V8 at the last minute. His thread should still be on FTV6 and could be helpful.

I'm piecing together an A2W setup for my daily driver, btw. It may be more complicated and heavier than meth injection or A2A IC, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Don't forget to also check out Frozen Boost. Always good to have options.
                          '99 Camaro
                          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

yea Ive been emailing him for a couple days. Nice guy with alot of information. I also found a magazine at work that had an A2W from cxracing. the intercooled results vs non intercooled results were like night and day.

The only thing I am really worried about is the water getting hot and no longer cooling the charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Watazz View Post
                              yea Ive been emailing him for a couple days. Nice guy with alot of information. I also found a magazine at work that had an A2W from cxracing. the intercooled results vs non intercooled results were like night and day.

The only thing I am really worried about is the water getting hot and no longer cooling the charge.
                              That's where key placement for the heat exchanger and probably the use of a reservoir would come in handy. Also, a push/pull fan could help out.

I don't remember if you pulled your AC for the Powerdyne or not, but if you have you could get use one of the tall thin heat exchangers from one of those sites and put it in place of the AC heat exchanger. That with a coolant additive and push/pull fan could really make quite the difference.
                              '99 Camaro
                              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X