This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pvc mod

I did the PCV over 3 years ago with countless track passes, driven thousands of miles on it, 15 psi of boost and many bottles of nitrous. Im not too worried about it :)

Plus, the PCV mod is for forced induction so the idea of engine longevity is a null point if you ask me.
    sigpic
    1997 Camaro RS A4
    2006 Chevy Colorado
    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown View Post
      I did the PCV over 3 years ago with countless track passes, driven thousands of miles on it, 15 psi of boost and many bottles of nitrous. Im not too worried about it :)

Plus, the PCV mod is for forced induction so the idea of engine longevity is a null point if you ask me.
      All you guys are saying is just confusing me to be honest. So shodown you think i should do it just the plug and then a valve cover breather and thats it as far as that goes?

Comment

Originally posted by Unique96Camaro View Post
        All you guys are saying is just confusing me to be honest. So shodown you think i should do it just the plug and then a valve cover breather and thats it as far as that goes?
        yes make it easy on yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
          Robert,

I think i've stumbled onto something here. This could be huge. Ok.
          Went out to look at the car today after our discussion earlier. When i did the pcv mod. I pluged the system by filling my PCV valve with RTV. I now realise that this was wrong. By doing it this way i disabled the air passage that runs from the crankcase to the manifold. But this left the passage from the throttle body(behind the MAF) to the crank case open to the atmosphere via my breather. This in essance creates a vacum leak or in my case, the reason i built no boost on the dyno, a place for my boost to escape. I cant belive i didn't catch this before. Bottem line is I botched that one. And you were correct in quoting the link you gave that i posted a portion of above.

With that said here's where the rest comes in. Say you disable the PCV passage with a plug right at the throttle body and the vent the crankcase with a breahter. Because you still have a passage from the crankcase to the manifold present you still have a vacum leak. So as far as i can figure unless you plug both passages, the one that runs from the throttle body to the crankcase and the one that runs from the crankcase to the manifold you will have a vacum leak that may go unnoticed.

If you would be so kind since my top end is still assembled could you verify where the second passage is?

The TB intake UIM to LIM port (upper right vertical oval), and the "teardrop", lower and to the left, is the bottom of the PCV chamber (but is not the crankcase port).
          Attached Files
          Last edited by FirebirdGT; 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Ok I gotcha. That helps. Ok so when you plug that port the vacum cant pull in the fresh air into the crankcase. Now after you plug the TB port and add a breather your pulling unmeterd air thrrough your breather into the PCV passage that holds the PCV and then from there into the inside of the manifold would that be considerd a vacum leak, since the MAF does not account for it?
            Last edited by Pewter02Camaro; 03-02-2011, 08:07 PM.
            Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
            Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
            Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
            Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
            Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

ok i gotcha. That helps. Ok so wehn you plug that port the vacum cant pull in the fresh air into the crankcase. Now after you plug the tb port and ad a breather your pulling unmeterd air thrrough your breather into the PCV passage that holds the PCV and then from there into the inside of the manifold would that be considerd a vacum leak, since the MAF does not account for it?
              No. If you plug the TB, then the "oval" hole is already plugged.

Where is the breather? On the oil fill? That directly vents the crankcase through the valve train.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                No. If you plug the TB, then the "oval" hole is already plugged.

Where is the breather? On the oil fill? That directly vents the crankcase through the valve train.

Exactly my point. when the PCV is operating fresh air enters via the TB port travels into the crankcase to replace the air that is mixed with vapors from blow by etc. then it travels back into the next PCV passage through the PCV itslf then into the Intake manifold. Having the valve cover breather is like adding a hole to replace the TB hole that we plug, with the exception that the air is unmeterd. See what im getting at?

Tried my best to make a pic of what im talking about sorry its small. Was bigger when i made it. The yellow dot is the MAF.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pewter02Camaro; 03-02-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Exactly my point. when the PCV is operating fresh air enters via the TB port travels into the crankcase to replace the air that is mixed with vapors from blow by etc. then it travels back into the next PCV passage through the PCV itslf then into the Intake manifold. Having the valve cover breather is like adding a hole to replace the TB hole that we plug, with the exception that the air is unmeterd. See what im getting at?

Tried my best to make a pic of what im talking about sorry its small. Was bigger when i made it. The yellow dot is the MAF.
                  Yeah now im just really confused for some reason.

Comment

OK. The "green" path is gone with a plugged TB. Just don't believe a valve cover breather will provide enough DP for a good "crankcase flush" if only depending on the manifold vacuum to "pull" it through.

Raven

Comment

OK. The "green" path is gone with a plugged TB. Just don't believe a valve cover breather will provide enough DP for a good "crankcase flush" if only depending on the manifold vacuum to "pull" it through.

I agree with what your saying but i think you might be missing what im getting at. Where does the air pulled through the PCV into the manifold come from, the crankcase. What does the breather vent to atmosphere, the crank case. Im saying the breather constitutes a vacum leak unless the port that connects the manifold to the crankcase is sealed as well. it would be like running a hole from the inside of the intake manifold right to atmosephere.

Comment

lol sorry for saying PVC mod i just now relised that. I MEAN PCV!!!!!. So should i do this or not and is their any other mod i should do before running my car once its turbo everyday?

Comment

I agree with what your saying but i think you might be missing what im getting at. Where does the air pulled through the PCV into the manifold come from, the crankcase. What does the breather vent to atmosphere, the crank case. Im saying the breather constitutes a vacum leak unless the port that connects the manifold to the crankcase is sealed as well. it would be like running a hole from the inside of the intake manifold right to atmosephere.

There are two paths.

Clean air comes through TB through UIM into LIM into head to crankcase.

Oily air from crankcase up through other head into LIM up into UIM into PCV chamber through PCV valve through passageway in UIM into UIM plenum.

So what "port" are you refering to?

Raven

Comment

There are two paths.

Clean air comes through TB through UIM into LIM into head to crankcase.

Oily air from crankcase up through other head into LIM up into UIM into PCV chamber through PCV valve through passageway in UIM into UIM plenum.

So what "port" are you refering to?
                            air comes into crankcase through breather then follows the path you stated that i "bolded" into the intake plenum. thus a vacum leak because the air does not pass the MAF. The first path you mention "underlined" has already been plugged with the PCV mod. I feel like I'm doing ahorrible job of explaining. :o
                            Last edited by Pewter02Camaro; 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unique96Camaro View Post
                              If you are going to be running boost then yes, plug the whole and put on a valve cover breather.
                              sigpic
                              1997 Camaro RS A4
                              2006 Chevy Colorado
                              2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

air comes into crankcase through breather then follows the path you stated that i "bolded" into the intake plenum. thus a vacum leak because the air does not pass the MAF. The first path you mention "underlined" has already been plugged with the PCV mod. I feel like I'm doing ahorrible job of explaining. :o
                                OK. If you plugged the TB, then paths "red" to "green" do not exist anymore. Only path is "brown" to "blue". That's it.

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X