This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique's Turbo Build

So i guess it's time to make this thread. I am getting the motor this weekend, we are stripping it all down the next. Getting ALL new parts (Not sure what all were getting for the build but trust me i will let you know) in the up incoming weeks and ill slowly build the turbo kit while the engine is being built.

I was bored in class today and did a layout for my turbo set up. This is how everything is going to be ran.

More on the actual work later

Re: Unique's Turbo Build

Put the wideband closer to the turbo, about 12-14 inches down stream of the exhaust housing.

Are you building the engine and turbo kit yourself?
    sigpic
    1997 Camaro RS A4
    2006 Chevy Colorado
    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown View Post
      Put the wideband closer to the turbo, about 12-14 inches down stream of the exhaust housing.

Are you building the engine and turbo kit yourself?
      Alright i will. But can i ask why just so i know.

The motor yes i am building it with the help of a friend who has years of experience. But the turbo kit will be all me :)

Comment

Unique, I'd love to see you prove us all wrong. This is lookin' pretty good. Which turbo are you getting?
        In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
        2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Originally posted by Unique96Camaro View Post
          Alright i will. But can i ask why just so i know.

The motor yes i am building it with the help of a friend who has years of experience. But the turbo kit will be all me :)
          The wideband will read more accurately if its closer.

I thought maybe you were sending the motor off to get built at a shop and it'd be pretty hard to fab up a turbo kit if you didn't have the motor LOL.
          sigpic
          1997 Camaro RS A4
          2006 Chevy Colorado
          2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown View Post
            The wideband will read more accurately if its closer.

I thought maybe you were sending the motor off to get built at a shop and it'd be pretty hard to fab up a turbo kit if you didn't have the motor LOL.
            Nope motor will be at my friends ten min away and ill do all the fabrication of the turbo kit on that engine and using my car as a reference also. And for sure i will have a built motor but getting i to run right with the turbo will be tricky.

And for now just using a simple crappy turbo t3t4. Later i will upgrade

Comment

Looks like you have a good plan on how you want to go about your project. That's a great first step. Planning is always a good idea. Looking forward to seeing how your build goes.
              Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
              Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
              Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
              Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
              Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
                Looks like you have a good plan on how you want to go about your project. That's a great first step. Planning is always a good idea. Looking forward to seeing how your build goes.
                Me too lol

I will make sure to update everything i do to the motor and turbo build so people can see how the progress is going

Comment

hope you have cash
                  Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                  1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                  1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                  2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Originally posted by ACiFiC View Post
                    hope you have cash
                    I do im still in high school and living with my parents the money is just building in my account. And my friend thats building it can get some good deals so it will save me money

Also i calculated it and just for the simple turbo build im doing its only $450 (not including the pacesetters im using for the log headers and the hp tuners i will probably have to buy, and a wideband)

Comment

How is your turbo build only $450?! When I priced mine out a year ago, it was over three grand...

Comment

so are you running 100% stock internals?

also, make sure the bearings in the turbo are good if u buy used (they may need to be repacked)

one thing i never understood about turbo systems - the "air intake inlet" and the "air filter" are two diff things?

Comment

Originally posted by bigairboarder44 View Post
                          How is your turbo build only $450?! When I priced mine out a year ago, it was over three grand...
                          Just priced everything out and thats what it came out to. i am getting a cheap turbo for now cause money but later i will upgrade.
                          Originally posted by Niko97RS View Post
                          so are you running 100% stock internals?
                          Not even close it will be the opposite
                          also, make sure the bearings in the turbo are good if u buy used (they may need to be repacked)

one thing i never understood about turbo systems - the "air intake inlet" and the "air filter" are two diff things?
                          Na a brand new turbo. and The air filter attaches to the pipe that goes to the air inlet on the turbo if thats your question. Or you just run a filter right off the turbo
                          Last edited by Unique96Camaro; 02-24-2011, 01:44 PM. Reason: issues

Comment

Looks good. 450 sounds right for parts(bare minimum: piping, ebay turbo and IC, piping), but the little things will add up. Gaskets, bolts, ect.

BTW suspension and tires will be in your future, thatll add up reallll quick haha.

What you looking to run for boost? Its addicting. Many start at like 9 or 10....end up like 20-25 haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Unique96Camaro View Post
                              I do im still in high school and living with my parents the money is just building in my account. And my friend thats building it can get some good deals so it will save me money

Also i calculated it and just for the simple turbo build im doing its only $450 (not including the pacesetters im using for the log headers and the hp tuners i will probably have to buy, and a wideband)
                              So really it's:

$450
                              $250 - Pacesetters
                              $300 - Tune or HP tuners

I'm curious of how you got the $450 number as well though. Are you adding up the AN Turbo feed line, the return line, fittings for them, even the yellow teflon tape you need to seal that stuff with. Assuming you get one of those crappy E-bay intercoolers for $150?

I think it's going to cost you more than you think, especially in the long run my friend. Trust me I have done a lot of buying parts twice in the past and wish I had just saved to do it right the first time. That why I got the cartuning kit for my car, everything is done properly...and I didn't have to go through any teething problems for a year :D

Stock 3800 internals are fine for a lot of boost as long as your tune is good. So I always recommend going to someone who is an excellent tuner and gets you 0° of KR!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X