headlight problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight problem

ok so a few weeks ago i came out to my car having a dead battery i was like wtf i get it jumped and it making this weird noise lift up the hood to find that my head light motor is spinning with the head lights off. so i disconnect the motor. i thot it was a worn gear so thats why its not turning off. well today i went to autozone and bought a new motor. well this motor is doing the same thing it just spins. how can i fix this?
    Last edited by 95firebird3.4; 06-19-2008, 09:36 PM.

Re: headlight problem

If it's making that grinding noise.... then the plastic gear inside is stripped. That's what makes the noise. New or not. It's entirely possible the gear stripped the first time you flipped the switch. I rebuilt mine with new plastic gears, and two days later one stripped again.

Eventually bought the brass gears. A little pricey. ($30 each I think?) But not an issue since.
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311 View Post
      If it's making that grinding noise.... then the plastic gear inside is stripped. That's what makes the noise. New or not. It's entirely possible the gear stripped the first time you flipped the switch. I rebuilt mine with new plastic gears, and two days later one stripped again.

Eventually bought the brass gears. A little pricey. ($30 each I think?) But not an issue since.
      no it not gears b.c if i plug it into the driver side its fine and the motor is spinning with the headlights off

Comment

Originally posted by 95firebird3.4 View Post
        no it not gears b.c if i plug it into the driver side its fine and the motor is spinning with the headlights off
        It sounds as if there's a short somewhere. The motor has power to it at all times (or at least that's what the service manual says). If you have one, I'd check the wire routing and make sure nothing's pinched.

Comment

Originally posted by 95firebird3.4 View Post

Does it start spinning immediatly after turning off the the lights, and does it actually raise and lower in sync with the other light?

Comment

forgot to finish what my point was :slap:

anyways if the headlights arnt raising and lowering at the same time and its spinning with the lights off then the magnet inside the motor housing needs to be turned 180 degrees. thats what the problem was with mine.

Comment

it was the headlight controle mod thanks guys

Comment

I have had the motor apart and back together every possible way and I still get one light up and one light down. any ideas? Thanks.

Comment

Gears are just stripped too badly, sounds like..

You can get remanufactured motors from autozone with a lifetime warranty. Cant beat that if you plan to own the car very long.
                  -Jarred '70 Pontiac LeMans | '89 Firebird Formula 350

Comment

Originally posted by fishin View Post
                    I have had the motor apart and back together every possible way and I still get one light up and one light down. any ideas? Thanks.
                    If you don't hear a continues movement on the gears then - Check the arm of each motor to make sure they are at the same position.

Comment

WHY!!! are you responding to a 3 year old thread???
                      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

WHY!!! are you getting so worked up over what goes on, on the internet???

Comment

Originally posted by Red&Black_Attack View Post
                          WHY!!! are you getting so worked up over what goes on, on the internet???
                          HEY!!! how about stop being a tool!
                          Last edited by flamingchicken; 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM.
                          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                            HEY!!! how about stop being a tool!
                            :rolleyes: How bout staying out of threads if you're not gonna offer to help. Oh and name calling on the internet makes you look stupid.

Comment

There is nothing to help here, the problem was solved in 2008!!!

Oh and name calling on the internet makes you look stupid.
                              This makes me laugh...really really really hard.
                              Team NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X