No announcement yet.

2005 10 "Alpine type R's question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is pic "system 005" of? Did you remove the speaker wires from the amp? And even looking at pic "system 006" and "system 004" in full size, it's still tough to see which wire is going to where. However, if I had to guess one way or the other, they look incorrect. It appears as though the two outside connections are running to the amp and the two middle connections are wired together.... is theis correct? But I see another wire somewhere in that mix... [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]

Anyway, if that is correct, you have found your problem. You need to rewire your subs like this. All +'s together and all -'s together. And do yourself a favor and never return to that shop.... [img]redface.gif[/img]
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Comment

pic 005 is just the speaker wire spliced together, that wire is brigded from the amp into one sub then to the other sub...I took them out when i was moving my box around. You were right about the sub wiring, thats why i wasm't too sure why the middle two terminals are wired together and the others are going to the amp. I'm honestly not confident enough to do it myself and i plan on getting a different amp anyway because this one is not doing the job. Wiring or not the guy at the shop had one of my subs in his car with a 1500watt rockford and that hit pretty hard so i plan on getting something different. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think I'm gonna look in to rockford amps, they impressed me today.
      \'99 Black 3.8 TTops

Comment

Wait! You haven't even listened to them yet! Rewiring those subwoofers is just about the easiest thing in the entire car audio world. I don't mean to dog on you, but it's extremely easy. Atleast rewire them, and if you still are unhappy, do what your gonna do..... but atleast give em a shot first.

Did you click on the link I gave you? From JL Audio? That's exactly how it needs to be. Why is that hard? It would have taken you 10 minutes while the subs were out of the box. And yes, this will make a HUGE difference in output. Check this out:

Do that for both subs. Then at the amp, twist the two +'s and -'s together JUST LIKE IN PIC "system 005". Screw them into the same terminals on the amp as they are now. It's just all the +'s together and then to the + on the amp. Same for the -'s. It's EXTREMELY easy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh yeah. I have fast internet again... your low pass crossover should be around 80Hz. The subsonic to around 20 Hz and the phase shift switch should be set to 0.

[ June 15, 2005, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: 96firebird311 ]
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

hmm...ok well ill give it a try tomorrow morning, im just a little worried about it because everyone at the shop kept talking about ohms and it being stable at that ohm or something... i have no warranty on anything so thats why im being so cautious. You're 100% sure its not gonna fry my amp or blow my subs? :rolleyes:
          \'99 Black 3.8 TTops

Comment

Have you read this section of our FAQ section? Read through it to try to actually learn why everything is the way it is. [img]smile.gif[/img] Your amp is stable to 1 ohm. 1000WRMSx1@1ohm. So wiring your subwoofers for a 1 ohm load is optimal. The wiring scheme I linked you to from JL Audio is how you do this. You NOW have them wired for a 4 ohm load. Meaning you are getting roughly 1/4 the power you would be at a 1 ohm load. Soooo.. you now have 250WRMS to a pair of Type-R's...... you're trying to get 1,000WRMS to a pair of Type-R's. Think it will make a difference? :D

Oh and you bought all your gear at their shop right? Retail? So why doesn't it carry a warranty? That's a little shady. Sounds like they are selling gear as an unauthorized distributor... [img]redface.gif[/img]

Oh and yes, I'm sure you're not going to blow anything up. Set the gain closer to the min. side since you are using an aftermarket headunit. I think you'll be pleased. ;)
            Red 96' A4 Firebird
            Audio Audio and Autotek
            Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X