No announcement yet.

Would this amp work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wiring is easily done into one ohm or four ohms...i'd say either get the tantrum or the JBL they are both very nice (youll probly get the JBL a bit cheaper)
    <blockquote>quote:</font><hr> WOW I look right over the rms of that amp just do what 311 said with the wiring its SO much easier than wire the subs parallel the running them series to the amp. <hr></blockquote>
    The wiring I was talking about that gets complicated is when you wire it into 4 onms using parallel/series rather than series/parralel...what your doin is a pretty easy self install...plus well guide you thruogh it ;)
    Sorry...Heres an explanation to the best of my ability IF you have 2 4ohm dvc, wire them both into 2 ohms, then wire the two 2 ohm subs series into the amp that would yeild a four ohm load correct me if im wrong

Matt

[ January 25, 2004: Message edited by: Freeser ]</p>
    \'93 Red 3.4L Camaro<br />Engine: Jet II, Pacesetters, K&N FIPK, Accel Wires, Iridium Plugs, Flowmaster, ASP U/D, 180 Thermo, much more...<br /><br />\'98 Z28 Vert Triple Black A4 Stock for now<br />34000 Miles<br /><br />Not enough room in the sig for my stereo.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Freeser:
      correct me if im wrong
      ]
      <hr></blockquote>

Correct you if you're wrong? It's not that you're wrong, it's just that it's extraordinarly difficult to understand what you're trying to say when you "type like you talk." I think what you're saying is:

The amp can be easily wired to see either a 1 or 4 Ohm Load. I'd either get the Tantrum or the JBL. They are both very nice, although the JBL is probably cheaper.

It's more complicated to wire your two subwoofers in paralell/series mode (voice coils are in paralell, subs in series) rather than a series/paralell configuration (voice coils in series, subs in paralell). What you're doing is a pretty easy self-install. We can help you through it. ;)

If you have dual 4 Ohm voice coils, then wire the voice coils in paralell and wire the two subwoofers in series. The amp will see a final load of 4 Ohms.

Is that what you meant? I fail to see why one configuration would be more complicated than the other. From an amplifier standpoint, you simply want to provide as little resistance across the amplifier as it can handle. Less resistance yields more current. More current yields more power. From a driver standpoint, you want to provide as much power to the driver as it can reliably handle. The wiring configuration is a trivial part of the problem.
      ╓<br />║ Matt M<br />║ <a href=\"http://home.austin.rr.com/morrism/3800/sunset_logo2.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Down with the Sixxness</a> <br />║ Polo Green 1995 3.8 Camaro<br />║ intake, cat, catback, shocks, 3.42\'s, and 12\'s in the trunk<br />╙

Comment

Sorry I was not clear with my explanation. I will work harder to be more gramatically correct for you 1101. ;) All in all that is what I was trying to say though. Thank you for clearing that up. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I think that i would be better off going with the kicker because wiring that tantrum is alittle out of my leauge. <hr></blockquote>

This is the reason that I brought up the wiring situation.
        \'93 Red 3.4L Camaro<br />Engine: Jet II, Pacesetters, K&N FIPK, Accel Wires, Iridium Plugs, Flowmaster, ASP U/D, 180 Thermo, much more...<br /><br />\'98 Z28 Vert Triple Black A4 Stock for now<br />34000 Miles<br /><br />Not enough room in the sig for my stereo.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Freeser:
          Sorry I was not clear with my explanation. I will work harder to be more gramatically correct for you 1101. ;) <hr></blockquote>

Thanks. I'm not trying to be an a$$. You generally seem to know what you're talking about. I just don't understand you half the time.

So did we have a final recommendation for this kid or what? Buy a JBL amp if he hasn't bought one yet? That recommendation probably gets my vote too.
          ╓<br />║ Matt M<br />║ <a href=\"http://home.austin.rr.com/morrism/3800/sunset_logo2.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Down with the Sixxness</a> <br />║ Polo Green 1995 3.8 Camaro<br />║ intake, cat, catback, shocks, 3.42\'s, and 12\'s in the trunk<br />╙

Comment

The 3 amps to consider:
            Kicker KX1200.1
            JBL BP1200.1
            PG Tantrum 1200.1

Well, the Kicker is not only the most expensive, it's the least efficient out of the three. So it's out. That leave the PG and the JBL. The JBL is almost $100 cheaper, but the PG has more features. The PG also uses class T technology, so I'm sure it draws less current then the JBL. Hmmmm.... it's a toss up. That particular JBL amp is tried and true. And PG always has been. Kidkash, you'll be happy with either one. The JBL BP1200.1 can be had for like $275 new off Ebay. Sounddomain charging $375 I think.
            Red 96' A4 Firebird
            Audio Audio and Autotek
            Check it out here!

Comment

:eek: I didn't realize that this thread is so long! No offese taken to you comment 1101 [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] . Kash, my recommendation goes to the JBL too for the simple reason that I have owned one and it was a very reliable.

Matt

Comment

there would be a little less resistance goin par. then series as speaking that how far the current has to flow...
                CaLi<br />-=|Sinister Six|=-<br /><a href=\"http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=756425\" target=\"_blank\">1999 Chevy Camaro Pewter</a><br />Have you ever wanted to know what happens<br />to a 3.8l v6 when you are doing 90mph in <br />2nd gear at 6000 rpm? pics to come soon...

Comment

Just want to throw in my $.02, I'd go with the JBL. They can be picked up fairly cheap and like someone else said, they've proved their longterm reliability and performance.

Comment

Well i bought the PG Tantrum with the extra stuff you could buy for it and just the over all things i've herd from other people i went with PG. So thanks for everybodys help and you'll be hearing from me when its time for the install.

Thanks again for all the help,
                    -Andrew
                    1997 Black 3.8L Camaro RS {SOLD}<br />Mods:<br />Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back<br />Slp Cold Air Intake<br /><br /><br />2001 Dodge Durango R/T

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CaLiJeRk:
                      there would be a little less resistance goin par. then series as speaking that how far the current has to flow...<hr></blockquote>

Oh really? Let's see how much less:

1)Resistivity of copper is 1.70E-8 Ohm*m at room temp.
                      2)12 gauge speaker wire has a radius of about 1.02616mm, and a cross-sectional area of about 3.308E-6m^2.
                      3)Converting to the King's numbers, that yields about .00157 Ohms/ft.
                      4)Let's say that he'd need six more feet of wire.
                      5)Hmmm, looks like he could drop his impedance by... .009 Ohms! That's a 0.2% improvement in efficiency from a nominal load of 4 Ohms. Even on a cold day, your impedance will drop by 2-3 milli-Ohms. This argument is a wash.

Maybe he could vacuum the crumbs from underneath his seat to make his car lighter too.

[ January 29, 2004: Message edited by: user1101 ]</p>

Comment

lmao...
                        Do you try to be an *** ? :D
                        CaLi<br />-=|Sinister Six|=-<br /><a href=\"http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=756425\" target=\"_blank\">1999 Chevy Camaro Pewter</a><br />Have you ever wanted to know what happens<br />to a 3.8l v6 when you are doing 90mph in <br />2nd gear at 6000 rpm? pics to come soon...

Comment

lmao...
                          Do you try to be an a$$? :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X