Power window failing again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power window failing again!

Can someone offer some assistance? My 2001 driver side window motor just died so I am planning to replace both. Do I want the motor only, or the motor and motor kit? RockAuto has prices from $28 to $72 from Dorman, A-1 Cardone, and AC Delco. Looks like AC Delco has a separate part number for convertibles. And I have never done this before so I don't know what this looks like inside the door.

Thanks
    Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

I have had two drivers window systems go bad on My Camaro 2k...I would suggest you find someone who does this and DO NOT ATTEMPT ON YOUR OWN. GM did not make it simple.
      Here in Florida there are guys who come to your house just replacing motors ....do a search but do not tear your door apart. Read other posts and see how so many guys set themselves up by trying to fix something complicated themselves and then have to
      get professional to sort it out.

Comment

Be sure to spray silicone into the weatherstripping, that will help reduce drag on the glass AND it won't damage the rubber. I did this on my winter beater and it solved the problem that appeared to be worn window motors. It's been 2 years now and they still work fine.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
          I have had two drivers window systems go bad on My Camaro 2k...I would suggest you find someone who does this and DO NOT ATTEMPT ON YOUR OWN. GM did not make it simple.
          Here in Florida there are guys who come to your house just replacing motors ....do a search but do not tear your door apart. Read other posts and see how so many guys set themselves up by trying to fix something complicated themselves and then have to
          get professional to sort it out.
          Did you even look at the write-up posted on the first page? Changing out windows in an Fbody may be a pain, but it's not an overly complicated ordeal. Once you see what's in front of you, following the write-up is easy.

As for having a professional do it, I had one replace my passenger side window two years ago. Earlier this year, the window started falling about a half inch when going down. I took it back for them to look at and they said the holes where the window motor was mounted to the door were "wollered out" by a sloppy previous install. Funny since they have been the only ones to touch it. :rolleyes:
          Last edited by pace2006; 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Another problem with these windows is the felt pads that align and guide the windows wear down over time and tend to act as a brake. My passenger side window was dragging and making noises when going up and down. I thought it was the motor going but after inspecting the felt pads I noticed they were worn down almost to the rubber backing.
            I loosened the adjusting nut of the center bracket and backed the bracket back a slight amount ( about a 1/16 of an inch )and the window worked like new again. This can also wear a motor out quickly.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/...doorfix015.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I tend to follow the 'I can do a better job than a professional because I will take the time to do it right and I have to live with the result!' Do you think these 'professionals' change out window motors every day? Haynes is no help on this subject!
              Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

Originally posted by nitetime_pr View Post
                Here is the link I used, looks like I got it off another site but it still kicks butt.

http://www.shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
                I stopped crying from the Chevy repair bills after I saw this write up a few years back. Two years and still going strong. Want to say I picked up AC Delco, and they've lasted a while. I must say don't use the flat head screws that come in the pack, mine came loose shortly after. The ones that GM used from a previous repair worked well, though I needed new bolts on the driver side.

Super easy repair, especially if your using the guide. Be careful of your door panels, it can be done with out cracking them.
                Have fun!

Comment

I agree with the easy, maybe not super easy, but easy enough to save a few hundred dollars. I bought the Dorman limited lifetime warranty from Rock Auto. The 3 install holes line up easily. I would reccomend some locktite on the screws. And lithium grease for the rails and regulator. Connect the electrical, put the door back together, and drop the top with the windows down.

Comment

I have been getting prices from $150 to over $200 for the job.
                    Ever get to Tampa area of Florida? Love help to do mine.
                    Phil

Comment

Just go to one of the major autopart chains - they give you life time replacement. I've never heard of any brand that did not fail eventually. Hint - make a copy of your receipt - the thermal paper will fade over time - and you will definitely be replacing the window motors more than once if you keep the car a long time.
                      I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                      CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                      FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Advanced autoparts give a life time warranty if the life is inside of one year. That is the primary retailer in western Florida

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
                          Advanced autoparts give a life time warranty if the life is inside of one year. That is the primary retailer in western Florida
                          Something to note...

Autozone sells the window motors for $40 + $10 core charge with a lifetime warranty (not a 12 month "lifetime" warranty). The part number for either side is the same. So should one side fail after you've bought and replaced the other, you can get that one covered under warranty. You still have to pay for one up front, but will get that back after bringing back the dead one. Or, if like me, you still have a dead one laying around, they'll trade you a new one right then and there.

There are a few other things you can do to bring back a dead motor or prolong the life of a current one, but I'll post those up once I've gotten my window issues resolved.
                          Last edited by pace2006; 08-13-2011, 04:53 PM.
                          '99 Camaro
                          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                            Something to note...

So should one side fail after you've bought and replaced the other, you can get that one covered under warranty.
                            Yup, that works... Not like I know from experience or anything...just saying...
                            I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                            CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                            FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X