Power window failing again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power window failing again!

I dunno what is going on with the driver side power window! I have a receipt dated November '09 from the dealer that sold me the car showing both the driver and passenger window motors replaced. Shortly after I purchased the car in February '10 I had to replace the driver side power window motor that was only five months old. It has since worked fine until today when I tried rolling it down. The damn thing grinds and I have to beat on the door panel for it to move up or down.

I am sick of messing with this thing and I still haven't found an ebony door panel bezel to replace the one that cracked last time I took the door panel off.

What is the deal with these things anyway? There is absolutely no reason why the motors should be burning out as much as they do in these cars. I had the same problem with my old '96. If anyone has a logical answer or knows of a way to repair and stop this problem, I would love to hear about it. Money isn't an issue but my patience is.

Re: Power window failing again!

These motors are notorious for going bad quickly although a year is not that long. Are you sure they replaced and didn't just lube the originals? Regardless, get motors with a lifetime warranty and put them in yourself, there is a brilliant DIY post somewhere on here and it took me only 2 hours for both. Now that I've done it once I bet I can replace both in an hour or less, not hard at all.

Good luck...

Comment

Here is the link I used, looks like I got it off another site but it still kicks butt.

http://www.shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Comment

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...+manual+window

:D
        1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
        1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
        1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
        2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by nitetime_pr View Post
          Here is the link I used, looks like I got it off another site but it still kicks butt.

http://www.shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
          Wow, that was an excellent write up! I will be using that when I replace the motor. I use lithium grease on the tracks and other misc. window parts and try to do that at least twice per year.

Do you recommend any specific brand of window motor? I have always purchased them through GM but obviously am not having good luck with them.

truekoa, believe me.. I've thought about doing the power to manual conversion. It would save a lot of time and hastle. How many people have converted because of you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jtels2593 View Post
            Wow, that was an excellent write up! I will be using that when I replace the motor. I use lithium grease on the tracks and other misc. window parts and try to do that at least twice per year.

Do you recommend any specific brand of window motor? I have always purchased them through GM but obviously am not having good luck with them.

truekoa, believe me.. I've thought about doing the power to manual conversion. It would save a lot of time and hastle. How many people have converted because of you?
            pfftb probably no one lol. I just got tired of changing window motors, I've gone thru six motors and figured it was the last time for me.

I'm not sure with brands, I usually just get the ones from Autozone that has lifetime warranty on it. I don't recall the brand thou sorry.
            1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
            1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
            1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
            2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

I would need a bit of help from my friend doing the conversion. Since I usually have the windows up, a/c on, t-tops on and t-top shades on in the summer and winter.. it would make sence. The only time I roll down the window is if I'm going through the drive-thru..

I printed off your link and will read up on it tomorrow. I can't promise anything but I will consider it. The manual window parts are cheap on eBaymotors.

Comment

Nice write up koa.
                Manual windows FTW.
                3M MAFIA
                ________
                | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                sigpic

Comment

Have you thought about mayb4e replacing the whole assembly? Those little wheels can get crappy and not move freely. This will kill your motor, as will a bad regulator. Try checking the wiring too.

Heres some things i do to increase window motor life:
                  Put both windows up one at a time. Dont put both up at same time, ESPECIALLY if you havent made the passenger window run off its own power (it piggy backs off DS, as you may know)

Also once the window is all the way up, let go of the button. Dont hold the botton down too long after the window is all the way up or all the way down.

Doing this has doubled the life of my passenger window motor (lasted 6 months first time, im on a year+ now).

Comment

I haven't considered replacing the wheels.. just spraying lithium on them and the tracks. Normally I have found that if the motor needs replaced its a good idea to also replace the regulator. I am concerned however that there might be a connection going bad or a problem with the switch.

I have also found that when the weather is hot and sunny the window rolls up slower than normal. I wonder if that has anything to do with the weatherstripping heating up and dragging on the glass.

Comment

I purchased a pair of lifetime warranty Dorman motors online for $80 delivered. Check out Northwest Auto? maybe it's Rock Auto, I'll have to check...so far, so good :banana:
                      Last edited by nitetime_pr; 09-02-2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

i just bought the passenger window fix kit from autotrix and a new window motor. Wired it up, plugged it all in and greased EVERYTHING up. Things works beautifully and its faster than my drivers side one. i would really recommend it. total cost: window motor $24+kit $35= $59 pretty damn good price imo.

Comment

Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
                          i just bought the passenger window fix kit from autotrix and a new window motor. Wired it up, plugged it all in and greased EVERYTHING up. Things works beautifully and its faster than my drivers side one. i would really recommend it. total cost: window motor $24+kit $35= $59 pretty damn good price imo.
                          That is a good price for the kit. I will check them out! Thanks for the info

Comment

I had my starter go out on my 2K and three years later it went out again. I brought it back to the Chevy dealer and they said it was guaranteed for life and they replaced it free. I would ask for the same.
                            My driver door motor went out again too but I do not have the $$ to get it replaced and in Florida, its hot as hell so I have no reason to roll it down as the AC is on all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                              Have you thought about mayb4e replacing the whole assembly? Those little wheels can get crappy and not move freely. This will kill your motor, as will a bad regulator. Try checking the wiring too.

Heres some things i do to increase window motor life:
                              Put both windows up one at a time. Dont put both up at same time, ESPECIALLY if you havent made the passenger window run off its own power (it piggy backs off DS, as you may know)

Also once the window is all the way up, let go of the button. Dont hold the botton down too long after the window is all the way up or all the way down.

Doing this has doubled the life of my passenger window motor (lasted 6 months first time, im on a year+ now).
                              I agree. Sounds like something is binding. These are big windows for those motors, so replacing them every 8-10 years or so may be in order with use, but annually is crazy. I'd look at cleaning all the old grease out and regreasing it. Mixing greases can gunk things up sticky like.

Buy a good motor with a nice warranty, not a cheap motor with a lifetime warrentee, unless you like doing the same repairs over and over.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X