Posi install...need help asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Posi install...need help asap

A trans can usually hold up to being thrown in park a few times while moving. The gears making noise makes me think it's back there.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm just not 100% sure its the gear making the noise...not sure what a gear whine would sound like....this almost sounded as if something was grinding...my dad was saying that at first the unit spun freely...then after the trans episode, the unit didnt seem to move as fast, when you put it from drive to neutral it would just stop, rather then go through some more rotations then come to a stop...Is there a way I can check the trans to make sure its ok?

I took the car down the street and back twice, parked it and left it because I was unsure about the noise...I don't want to do any damage....car seemed to go into drive and reverse ok...just felt as if it was trying to move 6,000 lbs instead of 3200

This backlash issue, wouldn't the wear on the gears be so insignificant that if you readjusted the backlash to mesh the gears a little better, they shouldn't whine?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Pull the drive shaft and see if the rear or the trans is hard to turn.

Gear whine changes with throttle position, it may stop while your accelerating and only whine while costing or decelerating with out braking.

Once the gears are broken in any changes in the backlash not caused by normal wear can make them whine.

Normally if you break something in the trans by shifting into park while moving, you only break the parking spall. Then you wouldn't have any holding in park, it would just act like another neutral.
        sigpic

Comment

ok, it holds in park....so it is most likely the gears...

Comment

cars back up and running like a beauty...one last question...is there a break in period for the brand new eaton posi?

Comment

From here to the end of the block, same length as the warranty. Just do some slow figure 8's in a parking lot to get the posi additive worked into the clutch plates and you should be fine.
              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X