Posi install...need help asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posi install...need help asap

The torsen I have in there fully blew up on me today...lost all power to the wheels...long story short, the eaton unit I was supposed to get, ended up being another torsen, which means I'll probably break this one to...

I've paid a guy to install the parts for me...he has all the tools to set the backlashes and such...

but I need to know what I can reuse from the old unit (install wise) and what I need new.

What is a crush sleeve for?

all we are taking out is the posi unit, so I am thinking all I need to go buy is the wheel bearings, He said he can make the shims at work without an issue...the gasket and oil I have...is all I need is the bearings? or do I need a crush sleeve and other stuff to?

The pinion is NOT coming out...were leaving it in...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: Posi install...need help asap

Just the carrier bearings and races. You only need to replace the crush sleeve if your removing the pinion. The carrier shims in there now might work just fine, buts it's good to have access to some if they don't.
    sigpic

Comment

what are the races? what do they look like?

Comment

they look like a cup or a bowl that sets over the bearings
        2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
        1991 3000GT VR4
        2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

ok...perfect...thats what I thought they might be...

Comment

The carrier bearings have the rollers in them, and are cone shaped. The races are what sit over the bearing. In this picture, the race is top left. http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/gr...ce_display.jpg

Other than that, you don't need anything to just swap diffys. And don't think the torsen is weaksauce, it's a damn stout unit that works great and holds great power. Plus, it doesn't have clutches in it, so it's matainence free.

Let me know if you got any other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmysprinkle View Post
              The carrier bearings have the rollers in them, and are cone shaped. The races are what sit over the bearing. In this picture, the race is top left. http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/gr...ce_display.jpg

Other than that, you don't need anything to just swap diffys. And don't think the torsen is weaksauce, it's a damn stout unit that works great and holds great power. Plus, it doesn't have clutches in it, so it's matainence free.

Let me know if you got any other questions.
              not good for drag racing though...mine was brand new as of last year...blew it up...I got teeth about a half inch long I was holding in my hand that I pulled out of there...I know this unit is gunna go out on me again...I think I have to reuse the bearings on my broken posi...they look to be in good condition, and absolutly NO ONE, has these damn things...looking at getting them the earliest by wednesday (and thats a maybe) if they were to order them...half the guys have no idea what I am talking about...I cant afford the down time...the shims and crap we can make...

One question (off topic) I pulled the d/s out the back today to put on the safety loop while I was waiting...those bearing caps arent held on by anything right? I wriggled a c-clip to get the whole thing free...but cant see how the clip keeps the things on...so what I did is pushed the caps back on, and inserted the clamps (Big C clip things) and torqued the 4 screws back down...looks to be good...thats how you re-install it right?

Comment

If all you are replacing is the carrier, then you shouldn't need to bother with shims. While it's possible that a different carrier would need to be shimmed differently, it's not very likely (I've never had to use different shims). Just make sure you put the shims back in the side they came out of. When only swapping a carrier, I check the pattern first if possible, then pull the carrier out, swap the ring gear to the new carrier, then install the new carrier and check the pattern again. If the pattern looks good I don't even bother with a backlash measurement (again, as long as I'm only swapping a carrier). Reusing the bearings on the carrier should be fine as long as they are in good shape.

As for the driveshaft, the bearing caps on the universal joint aren't held on by anything when the driveshaft is removed. To install the driveshaft to the pinion yoke, just position the universal on the yoke and put the c-clamps over it and tighten the 4 bolts down. I always use blue loctite on the threads.
                -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

when I refill the rear end with oil...is there something special I need to do? I have the axle shafts out, what should I be doing to make sure that the oil get to the shafts sufficiently...I need to hose down everything now because of those filings...

Comment

well...went to put the unit in today, and ya...wouldnt line up 100%...we could only get the teeth half engaged...couldnt get it to shim up nice enough unless we adjust the pinion gear. Hell we couldnt even get the c-clip on the axle it was so bad...

so, couple more questions...what kind of oil will I need with a eaton posi unit? and what are all the torque specs on this rear end...haynes manual doesnt seem to give too much info...

Also, where the hell can I get the tapered bearings that are on the posi units themselves? no one seems to carry the damn things...

This sucks...cars out of commission indefinetly...until I get a eaton unit, and stuff from the install kit...im dead in the water...:(

Comment

Sounds like you have the wrong series carrier. A 3 series will go in place of a 3 series regardless of the type( alburn, eaton, torsen).
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                        Sounds like you have the wrong series carrier. A 3 series will go in place of a 3 series regardless of the type( alburn, eaton, torsen).
                        That is a possibility...this unit looked slightly bigger then the last one...either way, there is no point in possibly having to adjust the pinion more then once...so I need to pick up a mini install kit to get the pinion nut, seal, and crush sleeve....and grab the eaton posi....

Comment

does anyone know what the torque spec is of the nuts that hold the ring gear to the eaton posi unit are?

also, there is no gear for the abs on the posi unit itself...where am I supposed to get that? is it just like a press fit on and Im supposed to take it off the other old posi unit?

Comment

im almost positive you cant take it off the stock rear, when i put my posi in i just put it in without the abs, i dont know if they sell the abs ring itself, but i know you can buy a posi that already has the abs wheel on it

Comment

well my eaton posi didnt come with it...it looks like it may be a press fit on zexel though...not 100% sure...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X