I snapped something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I snapped something

haha... damn it...I dont even have enough power to be breaking things...

Last run last night at the track for me...I get to the end, go to turn off and I hear a CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK...pull it off to the side...can't visually see anything wrong...put the car up on jacks and put the car in drive with the wheels off...car makes the clunking sound as the axle spins...So we put one tire on, put that tire on the ground, and put the car in drive holding the break...the other side spins, and clunks...do the same thing but opposite sides...same thing...other side spins but clunks...looks like the rear is binding sideways...

get both wheels on...drive it straight...no sound...make a slight turn, no sound...make a full turn....clunk clunk clunk clunk...I have no breaks in the back...I blew out one of my brake lines...

what could be broken? Im trying to go through it in my head...but I can't seem to think of anything...if it was the gears, I would think it would make the sound even when going straight...if it was the zexel unit I would think I would have power to only the one unit...(if I chipped a tooth on the worm gear, I should still hear the noise all the time?) If it was an axle, I should hear the noise all the time....I've run out of ideas...I need things to be looking for when I pull the diff cover apart this weekend...

One thing to note...the axle looked a tad wobbly with the tires off...someone suggested maybe a warped axle? Is that possible?

I guess I probably broke the brake line doing the burnout...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: I snapped something

Could be axle bearing , did you pull on the axles to make sure the C clips are still on and didn't pop one off.LOL Wouldn't want your tire and axle coming off while driving. Sounds like you might have bent a axle and when you make a full turn the axle either hits the bearing and makes the clunking noise , just a thought. Hope you find the problem and good luck on fixing it.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

havent pulled anything apart yet...hopefully I can get around to it tonight or by the weekend...

Comment

i think he means like grab your disc/drum and pull out and push in on it, to see if they are still clipped in the carrier. did you try to listen for where the clunk was coming from?? seems like something inside the carrier, since it only makes noise when the wheels are turning at different speeds. spider assy???
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Im going with the differential on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
            i think he means like grab your disc/drum and pull out and push in on it, to see if they are still clipped in the carrier. did you try to listen for where the clunk was coming from?? seems like something inside the carrier, since it only makes noise when the wheels are turning at different speeds. spider assy???
            Yes , thanks flaming thats what I was trying to say, have trouble sometimes, thanks.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Broken differential.

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
              ..So we put one tire on, put that tire on the ground, and put the car in drive holding the break...the other side spins, and clunks.....
              If the differential was not broken, this would not happen. As far as I know, the torsen units are not rebuildable.
              -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

thats the whole point of the differential, is to let the other wheel spin when one is held...
                Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

i pulled a little bit on the drum assembly with the cover off..there is movement, more then a thou...but they dont come out?

If it is the lsd unit is it ok to continue driving on this one until I nab another?

I doubt I can open the diff cover until tommorrow at the earliest...In the middle of replacing the brake line right now...

Comment

well this is my progress so far...I worked from 6pm last night until 530am the smorning...replaced the brake lines...bled the lines...got in the car to test it out and while I do have brakes again...the pedal is mushy...you still have to put it to the floor in order to stop...but it does grab alot better now... What could cause this? we looked for leaks and didnt see any ... is there something I need to readjust now? We bled the resovoir dry before swapping the lines out...

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                      thats the whole point of the differential, is to let the other wheel spin when one is held...
                      That is how an open differential works. A limited slip or posi differential is designed to NOT allow that to happen.
                      -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

well this is my progress so far...I worked from 6pm last night until 530am the smorning...replaced the brake lines...bled the lines...got in the car to test it out and while I do have brakes again...the pedal is mushy...you still have to put it to the floor in order to stop...but it does grab alot better now... What could cause this? we looked for leaks and didnt see any ... is there something I need to readjust now? We bled the resovoir dry before swapping the lines out...
                        Bleed some more. It would have been better if you had not bled it dry, as that will make the bleeding process alot more time consuming. Look for bleeder screws on the ABS block. I'm not sure which models/years have them (my 96 Firebird had them, my 99 TA does not). If there are bleeder screws on it, bleed those first, then move to the rear wheels, then front. Also when you start bleeding, first open the bleeder screw, THEN have someone slowly press the pedal to the floor, then close the bleeder screw. After you do that a few times, go to the regular bleeding method (pump pedal then open/close bleeder screw). This will help push the air through the lines instead of just compressing it.

Comment

I'll take a look at the abs module to see if I can see the bleeder valves...they would look the same as on the wheel right?

Comment

I'll take a look at the abs module to see if I can see the bleeder valves...they would look the same as on the wheel right?
                            Yeah, they're the same. There will be two (if any), one for each of the lines coming from the master.

Comment

there is 3 lines coming from the master? 2 for the front, 1 for the rear?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X