Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how long can T/A tranny last?

dont listen to him.
    (if your planning on rebuilding or getting a new one.)

a flush is the must.

its only bad to flush. if gears are going out or if here is slippage so bad that the car hardly goes.

your fine.

Comment

Originally posted by z38camaro View Post
      dont listen to him.
      (if your planning on rebuilding or getting a new one.)

a flush is the must.

its only bad to flush. if gears are going out or if here is slippage so bad that the car hardly goes.

your fine.
      dont listen to me?

almost every post you have ever made here has been completely wrong

you seriously give bad advise all of the time and you give this forum a bad reputation because people are getting wrong advise.

like i have told you in other threads, i suggest you do some reading on how cars work ad then only post information when you are 100% sure you are correct.

in this case you arent, and trying to clean out a transmission with 200k miles on it is and will be a disaster

Comment

Don't listen to this guy (z38 camaro).. he's about as legit as this guy

*Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

ok. my tranny on my previous firebird. has 195000 miles on it.
          flushed it. (worked better)
          brother had a van. flushed it at (165 thousand miles) worked better,
          the trannys on both of those cars had all gears working and did not slip.
          YOU need to stop doing things by what you heard other people say and do things your effing self.
          ive had exp. with trannys.
          and YES flushing a tranny that has been abused and never maintained is a bad idea.
          but at 200,000 miles if it still works. doesent slip and all gears work.
          THERE IS NO REASON TO NOT.
          i need to learn about cars?

ha. you need to stop reading your little monthly subscripton magazines. and living on forums.

do things yourself. talk to a mechanic. see THINGS DONE.

dont give advice regarding things that you have no exp. doing. you think your advice is sufficiant because youve heard it somewhere else.

just to let you know. THE SAME ADVICE IS NOT ALWAYS APPLICABLE TO ALL SCENARIOS!

Comment

YOU need to stop doing things by what you heard other people say and do things your effing self.
            and YES flushing a tranny that has been abused and never maintained is a bad idea.

ha. you need to stop reading your little monthly subscripton magazines. and living on forums.

dont give advice regarding things that you have no exp. doing. you think your advice is sufficiant because youve heard it somewhere else.

just to let you know. THE SAME ADVICE IS NOT ALWAYS APPLICABLE TO ALL SCENARIOS!
            Please just stop posting. She should NOT flush the transmission if it has never been done. It will only speed up the wear process as things get loosened up in the trans that were worn in place. Failure will result. And this is not coming from hearsay...I run an auto repair shop and will tell customers myself that we will not do their transmission flushes if they have high miles and it was never done. Sure we are losing money by not taking them in, but saving the customer money sometimes with their transmission lasting longer because of it.

Also there was a 4l60 and a 4l60e in the 4th gens for autos. The "e" is for the electronic ones
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

im not argueing.

i have my opinions and you have yours.

robin. dont flush your tranny. its clearly what they want.

(if your going to get a new one or rebuild it. (flush it and then tell me what happens) cause im dieing to prove them wrong.
              if you are wanting to change the fluid. thats fine. and if it doesent do anything good. and if the tranny just gets worse.
              flush it and go from there.

Comment

im not argueing.

i have my opinions and you have yours.

robin. dont flush your tranny. its clearly what they want.

(if your going to get a new one or rebuild it. (flush it and then tell me what happens) cause im dieing to prove them wrong.
                if you are wanting to change the fluid. thats fine. and if it doesent do anything good. and if the tranny just gets worse.
                flush it and go from there.
                not an opinion, it is a proven fact in the auto repair world never to flush a high mileage trans that has never been done before

Comment

also if she is gonna rebuild it, why chance making things worse in the trans? It would just cost more to repair it because more parts will be getting replaced.

Comment

....thats what i said.
                    i said to never flush a tranny thats been abused.

i think never been serviced is grounds to say thats its been abused.

since its a z28.

and its lasted that long.
                    im almost positive that its been changed, flushed etc. but then again i didnt ask her that question.

and i told her.
                    the flush is the last resort.

Comment

Ok anyway sorry to spark a debate...I will probably take it to the trany place because it is nearly impossible to get under the car. They are an exceppent tranny shop and I trust them.
                      As far as what the tranny is - I stopped really quickly at a tranny place today and they said it was a 700r4 but I really don;t know how he knew that just by looking under the hood??? Since it is a 1993 and the first year of that body maybe it is the 700r4? It is a trans am by the way not a Z28 (not really any difference but still :-) ) But, everything I have read says they came with the 4L60 so I am confused! If I am not mistaken the 4L6o"E" started in 1994?
                      If I were to look at rebuilding I wouldn't be able to do it myself as I have ZERO experience in that and I doubt I could afford it :cry:
                      I was looking at rebuilt trannys for sale but since I don't know what mine is I guess I don't know what to really even be looking for!
                      Last edited by robinpugs06; 07-15-2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

ok there buddy, i do all of the work on my car unless it is one of two things - getting it inspected, or changing tires

i have way more experience than you and i know you dont know what you're talking about

you are the same guy who said a BUNCH of wrong stuff:

- you have a transmission that has 0% loss
                        - there is no difference between stroking/boring
                        - you cant stroke a car unless you bore it
                        - the threadstarters car has a 700r4 transmission
                        - a guy did a cam change and his bearings went bad causing the piston to hit the cylinder head, and NOT a valve

would you like me to go on?

robinpugs06, you are correct, the 4l60e started in 1994

you have a 4l60 transmission, the 4l60 started in 1990 and took over for the 700r4, they are basically the same
                        Last edited by cam98aro; 07-15-2009, 05:10 PM.

Comment

What year firebirds can I get a 4l60 out of and is it better if it came from a V8?

Comment

i would love for you to go on.

cause i knoe all that is false.

0 percent loss?
                            that was in relative terms you child.
                            there is a difference between stroking and boring. (stroke is longer connectiing rods) boring is making the piston hols bigger in the block.

u KNOW cam bearings wouldnt cause a pistin to hit the valve. but i know crank bearings will if there completely shot.

i thought the ops car was a new camaro.

experience? what?
                            i dont have time to argue with you.

this THREAD is about robins car. NOT your deficiency in knowledge.

Comment

Hey I can admit I have ZERO knowledge :rolleyes: Just trying to lighten the mood! :p
                              I only began working on vehicles a few years ago when my BF convinced me to get a CJ7 to rebuild. But, that is a VERY different vehicle!
                              It would be one thing if I had alot of money but I don't. I bought the car, put in a new battery and alternator, then the starter relay went and I had to have it towed and have that diagnosed and replaced and then the new tires...I know I have been told they are money pits but...
                              Last edited by robinpugs06; 07-15-2009, 07:25 PM.

Comment

i would love for you to go on.

cause i knoe all that is false.

0 percent loss?
                                that was in relative terms you child.
                                there is a difference between stroking and boring. (stroke is longer connectiing rods) boring is making the piston hols bigger in the block.

u KNOW cam bearings wouldnt cause a pistin to hit the valve. but i know crank bearings will if there completely shot.

i thought the ops car was a new camaro.

experience? what?
                                i dont have time to argue with you.

this THREAD is about robins car. NOT your deficiency in knowledge.
                                putting longer rods in an engine is not stroking it, rod length has nothing to do with the stroke of an engine

and there is no way on a car engine bad crank bearings will cause the piston to hit the head

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X