how long can T/A tranny last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how long can T/A tranny last?

Ok guys if I want to do it myself I want to get ALL the old fluid out what is the best way to do this when I have no special tools - just basic wrenches, sockets, etc. What is the best filter and fluid to get? I tend to like Royal Purple but I didn't know if there was something better for high mileage trannys? what is the best additive?
    Is there anything an untrained eye can look for besides chuncks of metal in the pan?
    Oh, I don't have a shop vac but I have an option to blow air out the hose on my handheld dust buster...Would that even work?

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
      Hey I can admit I have ZERO knowledge :rolleyes: Just trying to lighten the mood! :p
      I only began working on vehicles a few years ago when my BF convinced me to get a CJ7 to rebuild. But, that is a VERY different vehicle!
      It would be one thing if I had alot of money but I don't. I bought the car, put in a new battery and alternator, then the starter relay went and I had to have it towed and have that diagnosed and replaced and then the new tires...I know I have been told they are money pits but...
      hey, its alright, you have done nothing wrong

i just dont like seeing someone give advise to someone that can cause potential damage to your car, or cost you thousands of dollars in repair bills

you dont want to use a shop vac or whatever, you will need to drop the transmission pan to drain the fluid and replace the filter

i have never done that in a v6 camaro, but on my other camaro i had to remove the crossmember that holds the trans up to get to all of the bolts on the tranny pan, you will need to hold the transmission up with a jackstand so you dont put stress on the engine mounts

Comment

haha...omg you honestly just blurted that knowledge out of your rear end.
        changing connecting rods and changing the crank stroke (STROKES AN ENGINE) i would suggest you read up on that before you go and talk about it.

when the bearings go out completely and there is nothing left. YES i will hit the spark plug or the valve. seen it a million times. and if youve never heard it. then your obviously having problems.

im not going on about this.

you can reply to this all day and get your jollies. but im done.

its a waste of my time.

Comment

What year firebirds can I get a 4l60 out of and is it better if it came from a V8?
          you can get a transmission from any 93 v8 camaro or firebird

the v6 will not fit because it has a different bellhousing (im not sure if you can change them on the autos) if you can, then you can use a v6 ole also with your old bellhousing

i wouldnt suggest taking it to a transmission shop, they will cost you so much money

a decent set of jackstands and a jack will do perfect

Comment

What is the best way to get all fluid out that is in the torque converter and lines?

Comment

Originally posted by z38camaro View Post
              haha...omg you honestly just blurted that knowledge out of your rear end.
              changing connecting rods and changing the crank stroke (STROKES AN ENGINE) i would suggest you read up on that before you go and talk about it.

when the bearings go out completely and there is nothing left. YES i will hit the spark plug or the valve. seen it a million times. and if youve never heard it. then your obviously having problems.

im not going on about this.

you can reply to this all day and get your jollies. but im done.

its a waste of my time.
              um, you said longer connecting rods will change stroke, and you are wrong

im not pulling any info out of my *** because i actually know what i am talking about unlike yourself.

and im fine with you not posting about this anymore, hopefully people on this forum wont get anymore bad information from you.

Comment

What is the best way to get all fluid out that is in the torque converter and lines?
                you really dont want to do that, just drop the pan and drain the fluid

when you put 100% new fluid in a transmission it will clean the dirt out which will in turn take the dirt out of the wear spots and cause metal to metal contact which will cause more wear and ruin your transmission

dirt in a high mileage transmission is actually GOOD it fills in the places where your transmission has worn, which is why nobody will recommend doing an engine flush on a high mileage trans

i dont recommend this, but my friend changed his transmission fluid and put in lucas additive and it helped the slippage a bit, but in the long run it is just covering up a problem and do more damage

you cant fix things with an additive, it just prolongs it and makes it worse

Comment

That makes sense...I just wish I knew what to look for inside to see if something is stuck...Should I look for high mileage fluid or ???

Comment

That makes sense...I just wish I knew what to look for inside to see if something is stuck...Should I look for high mileage fluid or ???
                    your transmission should call for dexronIII transmission fluid

if anything you will see a bunch of metal flake in the transmission fluid, it will be a metallic color

normal transmission fluid is red, but as it ages it will turn to a dirty brown/black color, or a silver-ish color if there is metal flake in it

you will be able to feel the metal if you stick your finger in the fluid and rub it between your fingers

Comment

ok thank you...
                      I read that it is good to put a gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket amd lock tite on the bolts is that something I should do?

Comment

ok thank you...
                        I read that it is good to put a gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket amd lock tite on the bolts is that something I should do?
                        i put a really thin bead of gasket stuff on the gasket before i put it in

i have never put loctite on the bolts, but i dont see any harm in doing so, those bolts are put in very loose.. we are talking in in-lbs

Comment

Ya I read that you basically hand tighten them??!!

Comment

Ya I read that you basically hand tighten them??!!
                            just about 12 ftlb with is nothing, it will probably scare you at how loose they are

Comment

Well I had the tranny diagnosed today and I have no 2nd gear and it is not throwing any codes. So I am getting an extended warranty through AAA and have to wait 15 days then we have it rebuilt

Comment

I guess I need to find a rebuilt or low mileage used one :-(

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X