short throw shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: short throw shifter

i think my head might explode if i answer that....it's very common sense.

please search.
    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

O thanks for all the help man! It never crossed my mind to search :twak:

I'm sure Ill find my answer in one of these 100 something results! :rolleyes:

Now anyone got something productive to say...?
      sigpic
      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

save that attitude killer.

if you've ever touched a short throw then this wouldn't even be a question, but if you must be told everything then know that the actual shifting will be reduced drastically (some up to 40+ percent) by a shorter, straighter shaft, a reduced angle of throw between gears, and usually a slight change in the position of the bolting. the result will be quicker, shorter shifts with less effort.

dont say i never told u anything productive.
        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

Thank you sir :D

And no Ive never used one, so I suppose thats why I asked. I can shift quite fast and dont see a need for it but if it goes into gears easier I could damn sure use that (but hell that could be my tranny).

Does it really make shifts that much quicker? I'm also assuming this is a mod to do after other major mods have been done (I see yours is quite nicely done)?

I believe Ive figured out how it works, looks lke it brings up the pivoting point higher...
          sigpic

Comment

trust me, it doesn't matter how quickly you shift, the difference between the two is like throwing a lever on a tractor compared to flipping a joystick handle. and no, you do not need extensive mods prior to installation, in fact, a short-throw b&m and a flowmaster catback were the very first things i did to mine years ago---bone stock worked just fine. my other mods have nothing to do with supporting the shifter, at least until i beef up the tranny later.

to give you some reference, my short throw down in 4th is the equivalent of the stock shifter position in neutral...the throw is reduced quite a bit, and the shift feel is much more positive.

mine:
            [IMG][/IMG]

sigpic

Comment

^that's a tiny ipod nano btw, and notice the whole shifter is only about twice as big.

sigpic

Comment

My bad, I didn't mean it as a supporting mod. I meant the question as; is it worth doing it with a pretty much stock car. But I believe you answered that question anyway. I'm slightly more modded than that.

"...down in 4th is the equivalent of the stock shifter position in neutral..." Holy hell! That is short! I sure hope that doesnt take away from the fun of shifting. Kinda the reason I like a stick. But could also make it funner too. Very nice!
                Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 06-22-2009, 01:48 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                  ^that's a tiny ipod nano btw, and notice the whole shifter is only about twice as big.
                  I was wondering what that was. Looked pretty damn cool ;)

My shifter is short as hell too! With the stock ball on there I was smashing my fingers on the console! Had to get this craptastic knob from AZ and mount it much higher. Pretty sure the stick was cut and threaded :rolleyes:
                  sigpic

Comment

it'll be one of the best things you ever do to a manual car, you'll enjoy shifting more, not lose the fun.

the 6er came with a giant shifter with a tennis ball sized knob, and my t56 ls1 came stock with a short throw hurst shifter, there's just no beating a good short-throw, and boy is that thing sweet.

sigpic

Comment

Damn now you got me all interested! Now I just need to wait for someone to try out that $40 one :D

Cant spend much right now and really couldnt use it; reason being is that my rear main seal is leaking like a mofo and its making the clutch slip :(

And who knows my clutch may be toast as well. So theres the money thing right there. ^

I didnt know we could beef up our trannys, where is that thread?
                      Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 06-22-2009, 02:06 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I cant tell if that option shifter has stops on it or not, but it does not look like you can change out sticks on it. With my hurst shifter you can bolt a number of their sticks to it.

Comment

the hurst and pro 5.0 have the adj stops like u the 1 u have described. the B&M and the proform (B&M knock off) do not have the adj stops.

87 Firebird RIP
                          96 Camaro RS RIP
                          94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                          02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

if you want the best shifter in my opinion go with the PRO 5.0 it is spring loaded and has bumpstops.thats if you have the money for it,other than that i say the B&M is also good,it actually has shorter throws than the PRO 5.0 but does not feel as good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X