Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snow = Looking for LSD

Originally posted by josh98bird
    I never have any problems... well I have a few problems but I never get stuck... I always get out. Having a standard really helps out alot. I've always kept good tires on my vehicles (MOM works for COOOPER TIRE) and tires is where its at. It not about LSD or weight, as much as it is good tires. I keep my spare in the hatch for weight as well. Sandbags are good, but I've never really needed any. Drive slow and smooth and you'll be fine. The only problem I ever have is getting up steep hills, which I turn the car around and go in reverse if needed... works like a charm. :D
    I agree with what your saying but the snow we see here in KY is absolutely nothing to what they see in KY. Maybe Mogoths will chime in on driving in Chicago with winter weather.
    Originally posted by kala
    I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
    parting her out

Comment

chicago weather isnt that bad, i have an open diff and i seriously have no problems driving in the snow, just gotta be smart about how you drive.

Comment

Heh, this is why I started the thread; I couldn't find a decisive answer out there. :P

Last night I went to home depot (hardware store for car items... I should flame myself ) and got 3 bags of sand. Turns out I was a little overzealous, 180lbs in the rear... yaaa. So I'm gonna take 2 out and ride with 60lbs, and throw an extra one in when we're expecting snow/ice.

I'm still trying to understand the mechanics of cornering and straight line(from a stop) w/wo a LSD.

Cornering without lsd:
        One wheel breaks loose and spins up, other wheel looses power, but stays put (Why would it stay put? It may not be trying to accelerate, but it would have to deal with 2x the lateral force since the spinning wheel has no traction.) Driver notices wheel spinning up (sound) and releases accelerator, stopping the runaway wheel.

Cornering with LSD: One wheel breaks loose and is prevented from spinning up immediately by internal mechanics (depending on type of lsd). This causes more torque to be applied to the gripping wheel, while at the same time reducing torque to the slipping wheel. In some cases this should prevent any slipping, but under acceleration both wheels will break loose. Driver notices the back end sliding and depending on the road will ether let off the accelerator and regain traction, or accelerate into it and counter steer (you better know how to counter steer, or have full comprehensive :rolleyes: ) into a power slide, and correct out.

I think this synopsis is correct, tell me what you think.

According to all this, a locking diff will suit me best. Under normal conditions it would act as a normal (open) diff, and when I get stuck on a hill I could lock it (e-lock or cable, whatever as long as it is remote.)

The only problem is that I can't find a locker diff that will drop-in so to speak. I know most of them are meant to be used on off road/4wd vheicles, but it seems to make sense for this kind of application.

Comment

Personally I live in Pittsburgh, with the hills and the snow, and having a Y87 it doesn't really help at all. On top of that When you get stuck (in a parking space GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR) only 1 wheel will spin, not 2 even with ASM off. Not to mention I could get to work on time Friday. (steep hill = pwnedl)

But I'm going to have to go with the crowd on this one and say tires, a little bit of weight, and for GOD SAKES don't wear Boots take them off so you can feel when your sliding.

A side story (of friday) it was me and a mustang trying to go up this hill with moderate traffic. About half way up I said screw it and backed back down. But oh no the mustang guy had to out do me, and yes HE PHAILED. He got stuck and since there was traffic no one let him turn around. It was a shame he almost made it. But still me and that guy looked cool trying though, held up a lot of traffic too. I seriously need to buy a 500 car for the winter :)

Comment

Pah, just master the scandanavian flick

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
            i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
            R.I.P. '07 Pats
            Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Ginsu, go to howstuffworks.com, you will learn all you need to learn about open, locking, torsen, auburn, whatever you want. You can also learn how automatic and manual transmissions work. Great site, if more people went on here to see actually see how everything works, life would be much easier.

Auburn is best in the snow because both tires will spin the same (or close to it) in a straight line, as long as your not flooring it. The clutches only slip when your going around a turn. The only downside is the maintenance, clutches need to be replaced after so long.

Auburn diff is one of the few things that works well in the snow and drag racing. :)
              Torsen isn't bad in the snow, just not as well. Those shine in the Auto-x course.
              Last edited by greasemonkey; 12-09-2007, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X