Snow = Looking for LSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow = Looking for LSD

Well we got bombarded with snow earlier this week (NY) and I'm tired of getting stuck on hills (even my 10 deg incline driveway sometimes :mad:) and that Traction light... :rant:

So anyways, since my favorite mechanic gave me a funny look when I asked how much a 4WD conversion for a camaro would cost, I'm in the market for an LSD. From what I've read the governor type let one wheel spin up before engaging (then the other wheel would probably start spinning too) I need something that will prevent spin-up, but since it is a daily driver I can't be shimmying around corners (someone said weld up the diff and replace it in the summer :slap:)

I already purchased snow tires (Winterforce I opted not to get the spikes installed, I think they would shred the tire if I accidentally spun the wheel on dry pavement) and I'm going to go buy some sand bags to toss in the back when I get out of work.

I've tried everything with clutching/accelerating feathering, engaging at idle (using just enough gas not to stall), starting in 2nd, starting in 3rd (needed to break in the new clutch anyway), yelling at things (boosted morale, not traction).

SO people who live in snowy areas: which diff should I get?
    I already searched for "snow" in this section and got no useful info
    Last edited by GinsuGuy585; 12-07-2007, 04:12 PM.

Re: Snow = Looking for LSD

i searched for "snow LSD" and got quite a few results. here's some:

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...light=snow+LSD

Comment

LSD will make driving in the snow worse
      1999 Camaro Z/28
      1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

I re-read all of the search results, and aside from someone with a Powertrax diff who could apparently plow with it (:) ), and someone using concrete instead of sand bags, I found nothing.

"I already searched for "snow" in this section and got no useful info"

^^^It's ironic that I wrote that to prevent people from just tossing up search results. Not knocking the search system, but there isn't really that much out there about driving camaros in the winter, and which LSD's work in the snow.

SO (again) people who live in snowy areas: which diff should I get?

Comment

badinfluenceRS: Can you explain? I thought keeping a single wheel from spinning would help? Would it make both wheels spin?

Comment

on dry payment lsd = 2 wheels, open = 1 wheel

although on snow even open you can put the car sideways easy, but with lsd or posi in the winter you'll be going sideways alot easier

just my experience with it, snow tires would help you out the most.

also put a sand bag in the back trunk area
            1999 Camaro Z/28
            1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
              The heck it does! A test drive in my Camaro (w/LSD) and my wifes Mustang (w/o LSD) reveal a clear advantage to having LSD. Without LSD you only have 1 tire trying to move the car. On slippery roads its a constant battle to not spin the tires. While I still have the same battle it is MUCH easier to get moving on the slick roads with LSD.

although on snow even open you can put the car sideways easy, but with lsd or posi in the winter you'll be going sideways alot easier
              Cant expect to mash the gas on snow covered roads and not have that happen.
              Last edited by D_Fisher; 12-07-2007, 06:08 PM.
              Doug<br />1996 Camaro RS M5 Y87<br />SLP Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, 1LE frt/rear sway bars

Comment

....x2

LSD will help if you are stuck at takeoffs... which means you shouldn't be driving anyways... but it will make turns ten times worse
                Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

While a LSD will help with traction to a certain extent it doesn't take much to get them both spinning and start going sideways. With or without a LSD your best friend is thin dedicated winter tires and weight in the hatch. You already have those so getting a limited slip would help some, but don't expect miracles. I had a zexel and it still sucked driving in snow. I carried a shovel with me everywhere.

Comment

I never have any problems... well I have a few problems but I never get stuck... I always get out. Having a standard really helps out alot. I've always kept good tires on my vehicles (MOM works for COOOPER TIRE) and tires is where its at. It not about LSD or weight, as much as it is good tires. I keep my spare in the hatch for weight as well. Sandbags are good, but I've never really needed any. Drive slow and smooth and you'll be fine. The only problem I ever have is getting up steep hills, which I turn the car around and go in reverse if needed... works like a charm. :D
                    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

if you have a torsen, remember how it works. One wheel has to have at least some traction for the other to spin. So, if your spinning, two foot it, give it some gas while lightly applying the brake and both wheels should spin. With a stick just starting in second gear helps LOT.

With LSD you will go going sideways easier than open, but how much you spin is reduced if you know how to drive.
                      Last edited by greasemonkey; 12-07-2007, 09:28 PM.

Comment

the op doesn't seem too familiar with cars. I wouldn't recommend a LSD.

Comment

buy a beater ..why u driving the maro now anyways
                          <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

Originally posted by D_Fisher
                            The heck it does! A test drive in my Camaro (w/LSD) and my wifes Mustang (w/o LSD) reveal a clear advantage to having LSD. Without LSD you only have 1 tire trying to move the car. On slippery roads its a constant battle to not spin the tires. While I still have the same battle it is MUCH easier to get moving on the slick roads with LSD.

Cant expect to mash the gas on snow covered roads and not have that happen.
                            Yes, take off in a straight line is easier until the *** end slides out...

but as already mentioned, lsd or open both tires will slide out easily, technically lsd is worse but the only 'fix' is a soft foot and good tires + some rear weight
                            1999 Camaro Z/28
                            1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by Oi Bird V8
                              buy a beater ..why u driving the maro now anyways
                              best solution right there...my personal preference :naughty:
                              1999 Camaro Z/28
                              1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X