a4 to m5 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a4 to m5 conversion

I have one question I have a bellhousing from a 3.4L tranny do I need to buy a 3.8L? Because I measured it with my 3.8 engine and it matched up. And do I need to buy the 3.8 throw out bearing with the slave cylinder? I went to autozone and it is different from a 3.4.

Comment

i have one question. why did you double post?

the bellhousing will work on the 3.8

the 3.4's have a completely different slave cylinder though. so you need a 3.8 throwout bearing,
      Y87 Package
      MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
      BONE APPROVED!
      VANBIBBER APPROVED!
      KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
      Team Black...TEAM EMO
      sigpic
      Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

But the throw out bearing from the 3.8 wont fit on my 3.4 M5 tranny. What do I have to do so it can fit?

Comment

youre sol then

but iirc the 3.4 t5 does indeed have two bolt holes in the front to hold the slave cylinder on, even though it didn't come with that style.
          Last edited by Firebirdkid96; 07-25-2008, 08:30 AM.
          Y87 Package

MOGOB APPROVED!
          BONE APPROVED!
          VANBIBBER APPROVED!
          KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
          Team Black...TEAM EMO
          sigpic

Comment

insaneABOT. I did this. You need to replace the bellhousing, the input shaft seal+assembly because you need the throwout to bolt directly to the front of the transmission which wont happen if you have the old throwout bearing neck on the transmission, and also the VSS. Total cost to switch was about $200. Avoid at all costs; get the right transmission the first time.

Apart from the actual transmission, from the 3.4 to the 3.8 the pedal assembly and flywheel were also different as well as the clutch master, slave and clutch reservoir. I learned the hard way and bought a whole set of parts from a 3.4 thinking they'd fit inorder to do my conversion. I ended up replacing almost everything. I did however take a couple "shortcuts" I didnt buy a new transmission crossmember, i just used a small saw and extended the bolt holes to accommodate the new length transmission (im not racing and it wasnt that much support gone). The lower shift boot doing this swap is also a ***** to find, as are 5spd shift plates from our generation.

Have fun,
            Nathaniel

Comment

Alright went out side to look at my tranny and I did not see the holes for the bolts. Do i have to buy that piece separate?

Comment

If you mean the holes to bolt on your slave cylinder then NO it will NOT have them. You have to replace that entire front assembly because the one you have was meant to work with a fork actuated throw out bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by azadian2b View Post
                  insaneABOT. I did this. You need to replace the bellhousing, the input shaft seal+assembly because you need the throwout to bolt directly to the front of the transmission which wont happen if you have the old throwout bearing neck on the transmission, and also the VSS. Total cost to switch was about $200. Avoid at all costs; get the right transmission the first time.

Apart from the actual transmission, from the 3.4 to the 3.8 the pedal assembly and flywheel were also different as well as the clutch master, slave and clutch reservoir. I learned the hard way and bought a whole set of parts from a 3.4 thinking they'd fit inorder to do my conversion. I ended up replacing almost everything. I did however take a couple "shortcuts" I didnt buy a new transmission crossmember, i just used a small saw and extended the bolt holes to accommodate the new length transmission (im not racing and it wasnt that much support gone). The lower shift boot doing this swap is also a ***** to find, as are 5spd shift plates from our generation.

Have fun,
                  Nathaniel

the vss on a 3.4 trans is gear driven, not electronic.

the pedal assemblys are not different.
                  Y87 Package

MOGOB APPROVED!
                  BONE APPROVED!
                  VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                  KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                  Team Black...TEAM EMO
                  sigpic

Comment

The thing I want to know is where do I buy the whole assembly? My question is what do I have to buy so it can work here is a picture of my tranny and I don't see any holes for the bolts.

Camaro transmission
                    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-18-2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

i just told you, there are no holes on that picture because you have to replace the entire piece that surrounds your input shaft and the front seal. See that neck that is bolted on? That is what the throwout bearing would slide along. The new version has the hydraulic throwout that bolts on. You need to replace that entire front piece with the neck with one that is flush and has the holes for the bolts. The part is expensive. Also, the pedals ARE different because the 3.4 pedal assembly has the accelerator attached and the 3.8 does not. If you have an old one however, you can just cut off the accelerator and it will work on a 3.8

Comment

http://www.southwestgear.com/product_pages/t5_nwc.htm

Part Number: 1352-027-030

Note that it says FLAT. Because you need to bolt your throwout to it.

Comment

Found a way of keeping my old 3.4 clutch setup. Will post pictures of it later on. along with all the parts.

Comment

Dude that is ballin off the hook if you could do that on the 3.8. The first problem is that the bellhousing for the 3.4 mated t5 cannot bolt up to the 3.8. Then, if you have the correct bellhousing(3.8), the starter motor is right where you would need to cut a hole to put in the clutch fork etc. The only option would be to relocate where the clutch fork goes through the bellhousing which isnt really possible because the old master slave hydraulic system is 1 unit and is 1 length. Please let me know how you plan to do this so I can give you HUGE props.

Comment

Alright I will keep you informed on how I do this.

Comment

As I tried installing the 3.4 bellhousing on a 3.8 engine it failed. Reason because the starter mounts on the left side on the 3.8 and on the 3.4 it mounts on the right side. If it was not for that it could be done. I started using 3.8 parts and my question is now how do i connect the line from the clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder do I have to change master cylinder as well since I have a 3.4 master cylinder or can I just leave the 3.4 master cylinder in the car?
                                Last edited by insaneABOT; 07-31-2008, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X