a4 to m5 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a4 to m5 conversion

It's not that horrible, and i actually don't even notice it that much any more, but the there is a lag when you give it gas when compared it to cars with the cable controlled TB.

Comment

ive always read and been told that drive by wire throttle bodies are a lot better than cable actuated throttles. smoother and less finiky...something like that. i just figure this...if they werent better then they wouldnt be on the new ZR1 Corvette. makes sense to me.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

Very good point, but I'm sure that GM put a lot more money in time in the ZR-1 than in the V6 Firebirds and Camaros. Plus there has got to be a reason why the SS and V8's got the cable derived system. I'm sure that now the technology exists to make it a much better system but I'm not so sure if it was the same 7 years ago.

Comment

i think in 2001 v8 camaros and firebirds came with electric Throttle bodies

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
            i think in 2001 v8 camaros and firebirds came with electric Throttle bodies
            I don't think so, but I'm not sure. My dad has a 2002 SS and it doesn't have the electric unit.

Comment

Throttle by wire = cost and weight savings. No need for separate cruise control unit.

That said I like the ones we have. Don't notice any lags or problems. My friend's '01 VW GTI has one and it's very noticable (in a bad way) compared to ours.
              Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
              Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Hey guys, after reading all of this, I see that it is mainly for 96+ Camaro/Firebird. Is there any difference for 93-95? I have a '94 Camaro and really wanna get rid of that A4. Thanks everyone!

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by GrnHrnt94 View Post
                  Hey guys, after reading all of this, I see that it is mainly for 96+ Camaro/Firebird. Is there any difference for 93-95? I have a '94 Camaro and really wanna get rid of that A4. Thanks everyone!

-Chris
                  just have to get parts for the 93-95 models. and the clutch parts would be different because they werent hydraulic. but basically the same idea
                  1999 v6 Camaro M5
                  Automatic to Manual converted
                  Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
                  !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

Originally posted by mestupryan View Post
                    just have to get parts for the 93-95 models. and the clutch parts would be different because they werent hydraulic. but basically the same idea
                    Thanks bro! One last thing tho, How about the wiring? Same thing pretty much? Or is there more wires I should be worried about?

Comment

can you reprogram a 94 cars pcm?

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
                        can you reprogram a 94 cars pcm?
                        I personally cant. Could I just swap the 3.4/A4 pcm for a 3.4/m5 pcm? Even if I do that, when installing the Manual trans. do I need to splice anything?

-Chris

Comment

i couldnt say, you would need to ask some one who knows more about 3.4s

Comment

If you swap the Pcm, the two cars have to be identical, with the transmission being the only difference. Unfortunetly, Pre OBD-II vehicles cannot be reprogrammed aftermarket. Maybe a dealer, but i'm not sure.
                            Y87 Package
                            MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                            Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                            BONE APPROVED!
                            VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                            KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                            Team Black...TEAM EMO
                            sigpic
                            Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Another thing with 3.4's, and any pre- '99 3.8, on meaty's writeup he talks about removing the brake pedal... on '99 - '02 cars this is true, you can remove the brake pedal without removing the gas pedal, this is because those years came with an electric TB and use a reostat to control the throttle, on our cars with cable driven TB's you have to remove both pedals.

And you guessed it. '99 - '02 V6 pedal assemblys WILL NOT work on a '95 - '98. If you are doing this swap and own a '95 - '98, then you either need a

'95 - '98 V6 pedal assembly
                              '98 - '02 V8 Pedal Assembly

those all are cable driven.

3.4's, your pedal assembly has to come from another 3.4 or an LT1.
                              Y87 Package
                              MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                              Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                              BONE APPROVED!
                              VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                              KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                              Team Black...TEAM EMO
                              sigpic
                              Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Its been a year since I started this project and I need help again :( (I was taking the train to commute, so I haven't needed the car.) when mounting my clutch master to the firewall, was missing about a centimeter or 2 of throw so i cut it, threaded both ends and attached an extension in the middle, so that problem was solved. Then, in trying to get the tranny off I had broken off the bolts at the end of my exhaust manifold and could not extract them, so now I have pacesetter headers instead! Car is drivable, but I still dont have a speedometer or backup lights, both of which I need to pass inspection which ran out while the car was off the road. The wiring diagram for the backup lights is pretty easy (thanks meatyshells) from the original post, however, the transmission that I've been working with (and constantly adapting DO NOT DO THIS!!) was from the older 3.4 and has a mechanical speedo sending unit. I still have the auto transmission off my 1999. What do I need to do to make my speedo work? Pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance guys! (and gals?)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X