a4 to m5 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a4 to m5 conversion sticky mayb?

after going back and looking at the work i relized that i was soposed to have and upper trans mount. Now i am told with the 98+ t-5 transmission, the a4 mounting brackets are the same so you souldnt have to worry. On my car i had a 96-97 t-5
    If you look this picture, you can see the bolts from the auto upper trans mount. If you follow this bracket you will find that it is connected to the side of the engine. You will need to remove these and purchuse t-5 mounting brackets.
    camaro transmission bolt location

the part number for the new brackets are..
    RH 12550239
    LH 12550233
    you will have to find new bolts as well
    if you have a 98+ car i reccomend finding a 98+ transmission.
    if you have a 96-97 car you will need to do these brackets anyway
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-18-2020, 12:42 PM.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Re: a4 to m5 conversion

This swap sounds like alot of fun and a great idea, but I have a 94 camaro, what would be difference in parts if any from the 96+ models

Comment

the engine is different so the bellhousing would be different. Also the slave cylinder is mounted outside the bellhousing. Only the throwout bearing is in the bellhousing. and you wouldnt be able to retune your pcm after the swap

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

to add to your post:

- you'll need a clutch start switch to wire to. i got mine at advanced auto for like $5. a clutch anticipate switch is needed if you want your cruise control to be deactivated when you depress the clutch, but its no big deal.

- also the updated part number for the master cylinder U-bolt is 12568902.

edit: didnt see you already had a part number for clutch start switch
          Last edited by mestupryan; 12-28-2007, 01:31 AM.
          1999 v6 Camaro M5
          Automatic to Manual converted
          Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
          !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

What if I can get a donor car? What parts will I need then? What will have to be new? Some of that list looks alot like things that will come with other peices... Sorry I dont know my parts very well, can you tell me if some peices will still be together after pulling major components off?

I am deffinatly about to do this. I know of a U-pull-it that sells at rock bottom prices! And they had a neat little thing goin, spend a 100 bux and get a scratch off, lucky me, I won 50% off my entire next purchase :D $50 Transmission!
            sigpic
            98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

well you would want a new clutch/flywheel and hydralics.
              pretty much everhting else should swap over

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells
                well you would want a new clutch/flywheel and hydralics.
                pretty much everhting else should swap over
                Thanks! But what do I have to pull, not that your list isnt perfect or anything, its just that I dont know what the part names are. Like you said, slave cylider is under the bellhousing, which means I dont have to worry about that step since I can just unbolt the trany and that will come with it. Anything else like that?

And what happens if I dont get the PCM?

Thanks again!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9
                  Thanks! But what do I have to pull, not that your list isnt perfect or anything, its just that I dont know what the part names are. Like you said, slave cylider is under the bellhousing, which means I dont have to worry about that step since I can just unbolt the trany and that will come with it. Anything else like that?

And what happens if I dont get the PCM?

Thanks again!
                  pulling the transmission will also remove the: cross member, transmission mount, torque arm brackets, shifter, Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS), reverse light switch pigtail, and Slave Cylinder

your car will run with the automatic PCM; i just now got my tuned, but i can tell a difference.
                  Last edited by mestupryan; 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM.
                  1999 v6 Camaro M5
                  Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
                  !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

Originally posted by mestupryan
                    your car will run with the automatic PCM; i just now got my tuned, but i can tell a difference.
                    Originally posted by Larrymhemenez
                    you dont gotta reflash your Pcm IF IF IF IF IF you Put the M5 reluctor gear on the tail shaft vice verso put the Automatic Reluctor gear on the tail shaft of the M5 and also I have a 700r4 in my 2001 So i rigged up a Pull cable to shift its dope **** man I wanted to write a write up about ti so it can help other peopel but i never took pics
                    Any truth in that?

Or could I just snatch the PCM from the donor car? Im assuming no since of the different gearing...

Also, I didnt see anything about clutch bleeding...

Thanks!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9
                      Any truth in that?

Or could I just snatch the PCM from the donor car? Im assuming no since of the different gearing...

Also, I didnt see anything about clutch bleeding...

Thanks!

im pretty sure that would work, i just never understood what he was saying until i had already done my conversion. but the auto VSS should plug right into the manual tranny, and the pcm would of course work with that.

as far as clutch bleeding, don't even attempt to use the conventional bleeding method; that might work later when you loose a little bit of pressure, but when you have none(as you will when you do the conversion) you're going to have to get a mityvac to power bleed your system. their around $35, not bad.
                      1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

it's nice to have some one else around to answer questions :)

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells
                          it's nice to have some one else around to answer questions :)
                          haha :tup:
                          1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

I know most or all of the autos have an electronic throttle body. Do you have to convert this over to a cable one too? Because the electronic one sucks.

Comment

i think in 99 all cars came with electric TB. So no you would not need to switch that.
                              May i ask why you think electric TB suck so much?

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
                                i think in 99 all cars came with electric TB. So no you would not need to switch that.
                                correct

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  4 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X