Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual tranny question

Hello guys,

I am not sure if this topic belongs here but here goes...

I am a relatively new stick shift driver, and I had a question for more experienced people out there. When ever I put it on reverse it makes a real ugly screaching noise.

These are the steps that I take to go on reverse:
    full stop
    full clutch
    reverse

Sounds simple enough?? but why does it do that noise? Is this normal? I have a 96 3.8L
    ------------

Also do you have a problem with water getting into the car when it is parked in a steep hill (rear up). Happened once and learned my lesson but I want to know if it happens to everyone else or if there is something wrong with my seals.

Thanks!
    Merlin

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Merlin ]</p>
    Lenore<br />Red 1996 Camaro 3.8L M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series, Pro-5.0 Shifter

Well, u cant shift into reverse while the car is rolling forward.

Also, i think our 5-spd tranny dont have a reverse synchro.

Me, i have to shift into 5th first then put it into reverse or else there'd be a nasty grinding noise. I heard its common for our cars. :mad:
    E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

ok, thanks IBJanky... makes me feel better that I am doing everything allright.

Now about that water? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Try shifting into 5th first, then into reverse. My reverse gear grinds sometimes, so I just got into the habit of shifting into 5th before going into reverse.
        2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Shifting into fifth then reverse is what most of us do.

I also can't shift into first if I'm going over 10mph to engine brake.
          1996 Silver Camaro, Y87, M5, cammed..<br />N/A Best Time: 14.012 @ 98.59<br />195 rwhp / 233 ft-lbs b/f heads/cam<br />Check out my site <a href=\"http://silver3800.cz28.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://silver3800.cz28.com/</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jonny985:
            Shifting into fifth then reverse is what most of us do.

I also can't shift into first if I'm going over 10mph to engine brake.
            <hr></blockquote>

Neither can i
            [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
            E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

Well I will try the 5th and then reverse suggestion. I am having way too much fun with manual :D I am NEVER going back to Auto...

thanks all

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Merlin:
                Well I will try the 5th and then reverse suggestion. I am having way too much fun with manual :D I am NEVER going back to Auto...

thanks all
                <hr></blockquote>

Yes I concur, 5th to reverse... Just pop it in fifth for a few and back down in reverse [img]smile.gif[/img] Since rev is not a syncro gear you must have the tranny stopped to slide her into rev. Hence the clunk and whine when you reverse...
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Say my '73 VW does the very same thing unless I go into 2nd then to reverse. Then everything is fine.
                  &gt;&gt;OH 1 FIREBIRD SunsetOrangeMetalic<br />Not at All Stock

Comment

I always go to first cuz mine does the same thing.
                    94 3.4 Camaro<br />white w/black stripes<br />rk sport groung effects<br />Dynaflow super turbo muffler<br />dual 3\" tips<br />light weight clutch and flywheel<br />slp intake sensor<br />K&N filter<br />intakes in the mail!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gt1953:
                      Say my '73 VW does the very same thing unless I go into 2nd then to reverse. Then everything is fine.<hr></blockquote>

man those things are just plain wierd to get into reverse.. push over push down pull back.. (or whatever the sequence is) gotta say though the first time I tried it I did so without ever grinding the gears..
                      -Brad
                      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                      :rock:

Comment

Yes definetly 5th then to reverse w should solve your problem
                        Factory:Camaro 5 speed, Color Pewter, w/ t-tops and Y87 package. <br />Engine: K&N filter w/ Whisper Lid, FRA, Borla adjustable cat-back exhaust. Hurst w/ Short Stick<br />Interior:Oil temp. and Air/Fuel ratio gauges, System.<br />Exterior: Black outs front and back, 18 in. Lenso rims w/ Kumho Supra 275/35ZR18 tires, also limo tint on sides and back.<br />173.2rwhp-----200.5tq

Comment

Jesus, how many of these topics are we going to have? This is sad.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by StockV6Cam2:
                            Jesus, how many of these topics are we going to have? This is sad.<hr></blockquote>

Thats what Im saying this should be in some kind of FAQ or something it seems like every 2 weeks soembody asks this. No that they shouldent ask, just should be easy to get this info.

Cp

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X